Burning your mouth during 'Lit'?

Jan 9, 2012
So I just recently purchased the effect Lit and am super excited about it.

My only hesitation is the first phase, which involves putting the hot match in your mouth. I know Dan Hauss says that "it won't burn you" in the DVD, but I'm still skeptical. I just can't seem to muster up the courage to just do it right after the flame is blown out.

For those of you who perform this, any reassurance?

i don't own the effect but I know from experience (read: being dumb and trying it) that the moisture from your tongue will put it out quickly. As long as there is no flammable substance in or around your mouth you should be all good.

Hey kids don't be stupid. It's fire. Of course there's a risk. I've been eating and blowing fire for a few years now and yes you can burn yourself. You'll heal quick but the burns are like getting ahold of a hot slice of pizza or hot coffee. This isn't 100% but as lOng as you are careful, make sure you've got a wet mouth you should be fine. But there is ALWAYS a risk when you work with fire.

Jun 2, 2008
Dallas, Texas
It can burn your mouth but it doesn't hurt. I performed this about 10 times one night and the next day I had multiple blisters in my mouth. They went away within a couple days but I use an alternative method to vanish the match now.

Oct 23, 2011
there's this 1 time when i forget to put saliva in my tongue as i do the trick . it's a little bit painful but of course , it could have been worst cause we're talking about fire here . Accidents do happen :)

Dec 29, 2011
I was doing this a couple of nights ago, and with incorrect technique I managed to burn the end of my tongue pretty good, still got it now but its not that much worse than a burn from hot food.

Jul 16, 2011
I have been doing this effect for a couple years now. Once you get past that fear of putting the match in your mouth the first time, you will feel confident from then on. I have been performing this effect for years, and trust me, as long as you perform it exactly as he says you will NOT get burned. Through the almost three years I've been doing this effect, I have only burned my tongue once, and it was when I was experimenting with a new way to put the match in my mouth. And even that barely hurt. So don't worry. While there is a risk (obviously because it's fire) the risk is small, and if you follow the DVD you will be fine.
-Jon

Jan 9, 2012
Thanks for the info everybody.

I'm sure this effect wouldn't be popular if people couldn't perform it safely and regularly.

I'm just going to make sure my mouth is super wet when I put the match in. It's just courage from there!

Jan 11, 2011
Since I don't have the balls to put a hot match in my mouth, when I perform Lit I do that phase differently. I say that I'm going to drop the match on the table, and it's going to land on it's side, as kind of an impossible skill thing. Really build it up right before you drop it. Then, at the last second, I snap the match in half, so it's in a L shape, and drop it, so it really does land on it's side just like I promised. While everybody relaxes and laughs at this, perform the move. Simple really.

Jan 9, 2012
How does that really play into the appearance of the just-burned match into the match book? Just curious.

And I'm slowly developing those balls, lol, I must have spent a good hour yesterday on my backyard deck just lighting match after match and testing the waters (quite literally).

Jan 9, 2012
And also, is there any sort of serious risk involved with the smoke produced from the match in regards to you inhaling it? Or the ingredients in the heads of the matches?

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results