Working as a Magician on a Cruise Ship!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jebzy

Elite Member
Jun 22, 2012
Latvia
I forget yesterday, but the most important question is -
1. If you like to eat much (Like me), more that just one dish, do you can ask them for another dish and is it free? :D
Not this one, but this - :)
2. You said you have to be with your spectators 7 days and the question is, do you try to remember their names or you write them down somewhere?

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
Wow Toby,
I just watched the entire first video (will watch the second one tomorrow since it is past midnight). You did an outstanding job providing our community with some very good "hands - on" working knowledge. You also did it in a hilarious way that made it entertaining. I was laughing out loud numerous times and almost woke up the wife and kids. I have a lot of comments / notes that I wrote out and feedback that I'll post tomorrow as well. Off to bed man.

Those of you who have not watched this entire thing....you are cheating yourself. Sit down and take this all in.

Sep 1, 2007
Belgrade, Serbia
Wow Toby,
I just watched the entire first video (will watch the second one tomorrow since it is past midnight). You did an outstanding job providing our community with some very good "hands - on" working knowledge. You also did it in a hilarious way that made it entertaining. I was laughing out loud numerous times and almost woke up the wife and kids. I have a lot of comments / notes that I wrote out and feedback that I'll post tomorrow as well. Off to be man.

Those of you who have not watched this entire thing....you are cheating yourself. Sit down and take this all in.
Wow, thanks man, I'm really glad you enjoyed it. Can't wait for your feedback and further questions. I will be adding a lot more about the actual lifestyle on the ship in the next podcast.

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
Thoughts on 1st part of Cruise Video:

Thanks for the shout out! I loved the humor though out the video.

-- Seems like you get in a TON and I mean a TON of performing experience (your 45 hours per week is outstanding)

-- I had No idea that you would HAVE to live with a room mate while on board. That could be good and bad depending on if you wanted
some quiet time.

-- I think it is great that there is a "mentor" program where a magician with cruise ship experience "shows you the ropes" so to speak

-- I would definitely agree that your 9 month experience would change your patter and presentation of your effects. That would have been neat to see your first week on the job compared to your last week on the job.

-- Interesting fact about security...that it is there should you need it during an altercation with a guest.

-- Planning ahead for when your props / gimmicks run out would definitely teach you some responsibility and preplanning on your part.

-- $250 for spending on magic items per contract didn't seem like much but I guess it is better than nothing. They probably figure you
aren't buying big stage props and mainly just using cards, coins, rubber bands, and such.

-- At 7 months = psychologically tired. I would bet so.

-- I think it is great that they "make" you perform for the kids so that it gets you out of your comfort zone and it allows you to see what you
enjoy and don't enjoy doing.

-- Something you brought up that I also think is important is that you are constantly in the gym and drinking protein shakes. I am the same
way. I truly believe that "appearance" is a big turn on or turn off. Who wants to see a big, fat, balding, pale guy walking around the ship
showing card tricks? Especially for the younger crowds. Keep it up and keep those "guns" in shape man.

-- You talked about the "variety" of clients / spectators on the ship and how that you could see the punk / goth girls and one table over the
business men. This definitely allows you to hone your patter and change your approach.

-- It was interesting and true to hear you say that you were probably one of the top 2-3 FAMOUS people aboard the ship. That has to be a
great feeling and a double edged sword. I applaud you for always entertaining the guests who would even come up to you when you were
not "on the clock". Not all performers would be so nice. Thumbs up!

-- I had never heard about the "Chef's Dinner". I knew about the VIP or high class dinners.

Looking forward to watching the second video this afternoon when my kids are napping. Thanks again Toby!

Sep 1, 2007
Belgrade, Serbia
Thoughts on 1st part of Cruise Video:

Thanks for the shout out! I loved the humor though out the video.

Thanks man. I'm even crazier with the guests. I love that random, kind of goofy, but at the same time sarcastic and almost intelligent type of humor :)

-- Seems like you get in a TON and I mean a TON of performing experience (your 45 hours per week is outstanding)

The amount of experience completely depends on you, and how much you wanna push it. But even if you are slacking as much as you can, you will still end up with at least 10 hours per week, which is still better than most.

-- I had No idea that you would HAVE to live with a room mate while on board. That could be good and bad depending on if you wanted
some quiet time.

Well, you know what, like I said in the video, I had like 10 different roommates so far, and all of them were great. However, I would always prefer to be alone in the room. But because of the schedule, you are going to be alone in the room most of the time, since everybody is working more then you are, so you will still have couple of hours of alone time per day.

-- I think it is great that there is a "mentor" program where a magician with cruise ship experience "shows you the ropes" so to speak

Yeah, that helped me a lot. And honestly, I cannot wait for them to send me someone to train, I always liked to teach and train people.

-- I would definitely agree that your 9 month experience would change your patter and presentation of your effects. That would have been neat to see your first week on the job compared to your last week on the job.

Oh for sure. I will check if I have like videos from the beginning and the end of the contract, to compare, but I doubt it. I mean, mine changed for the better of course, but there are magicians who are working on ships for years, and still didn't move from square one. That is why you have to think about your magic, in and out of performance.

-- Interesting fact about security...that it is there should you need it during an altercation with a guest.

Yes, it is. So far I never had a problem that I couldn't resolve myself. But I am 6'6" tall and 200lbs, so not many people will mess with me out of the blue.

-- Planning ahead for when your props / gimmicks run out would definitely teach you some responsibility and preplanning on your part.

Yes, this is extremely important. There are tons of things to take into consideration when you do this, like when is your next paycheck, how long will it take to deliver your stuff, are you going to be able to purchase on time etc. So it will teach you about prop management. And also how to make props, that you usually give away, last for a lot longer than they should lol

-- $250 for spending on magic items per contract didn't seem like much but I guess it is better than nothing. They probably figure you
aren't buying big stage props and mainly just using cards, coins, rubber bands, and such.

Yeah, for some people $250 will be more than enough, if they don't give out souvenirs, and don't buy new magic. But if you want to leave your spectators with something they will always remember, and if you want to keep progressing in magic, than you will have to dig into your own pocket.

-- At 7 months = psychologically tired. I would bet so.

This is actually a weird phenomenon. Even if your contract is like 3 months long, you will still be psychologically tired for the last couple of weeks. And if your contract was 12 months, you will be completely fresh until month 10 lol

-- I think it is great that they "make" you perform for the kids so that it gets you out of your comfort zone and it allows you to see what you
enjoy and don't enjoy doing.

Exactly. I hated this in the beginning, but then I start thinking about it, looked at it as a challenge, and made it more interesting for myself. And now I want to have the best kids magic show on the 7 seas. If you like challenges, than all you need to do is make everything into a challenge and you will be great at it. Just look at my pass and clipshift lol

-- Something you brought up that I also think is important is that you are constantly in the gym and drinking protein shakes. I am the same
way. I truly believe that "appearance" is a big turn on or turn off. Who wants to see a big, fat, balding, pale guy walking around the ship
showing card tricks? Especially for the younger crowds. Keep it up and keep those "guns" in shape man.

So true. The better you look, the more positive attention you will get from people, and from spectators during performance. I work out because I LOVE IT, but I also back you up that everybody should invest into their looks. I like looking good, having a nice suit that fits me, nice tie that goes with the shirt and suit, expensive watch, bracelet, rings etc. I like looking like a million dollars. Even though my image prevents me from getting more tips (because I look like I have a lot of money), I would rather look good and get complimented on every step, then to look poor, and to get a dollar out of pity.
And thanks for the compliment ;) Just remember, they are not "guns", they are "rocket launchers" lol

-- You talked about the "variety" of clients / spectators on the ship and how that you could see the punk / goth girls and one table over the
business men. This definitely allows you to hone your patter and change your approach.

Yes, this also helps you decide or find out if you are better suited for corporate gigs, family restaurants or Osbourne concert lol

-- It was interesting and true to hear you say that you were probably one of the top 2-3 FAMOUS people aboard the ship. That has to be a
great feeling and a double edged sword. I applaud you for always entertaining the guests who would even come up to you when you were
not "on the clock". Not all performers would be so nice. Thumbs up!

Thanks man! This is also a part of your image. It would be really bad if you said to a guest "well you know what, I'm off the clock so go f*** yourself". It would be a complete image suicide, and you can forget about any tips from anybody that hears about that.

-- I had never heard about the "Chef's Dinner". I knew about the VIP or high class dinners.

It's actually really good, so if you ever go as a guest, make sure to book yourself one, you will not regret it.

Looking forward to watching the second video this afternoon when my kids are napping. Thanks again Toby!

You're welcome. And I cannot wait to get feedback from that video too ;)

My replies are in blue.

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
Just finished the second video (bonus).

It was quite evident that you have performed both Chicago Opener and CMH numerous if not 1,000 or more times like you mentioned. You provided great patter and subtleties. I have never used the card box on the table as you did for a little stand and justification for putting the blue card back on the deck when you need to "move" the box out of the way. Very clever....I like it. I also enjoyed how you perform the chicago opener twice with the second person being further away to necessitate the hindu shuffle. Once again....WOW. Great stuff Toby.

The CMH section was great as well with the Houdini story or the funny business with being drunk and needing hand cuffs later. I am right handed and always perform it to the spectator in the right so that everyone else can see. I have never used the left hand to come up and block some of the move but that is good for future reference if I need it.

Once again...thanks for all of your expertise Toby.

Also...not that this is a big question but did you only perform using standard bicycle decks on the cruise ship? I only ask because I prefer to only use Bicycle cards in paid performances and wondered your thoughts on all of the young guys thinking that they "MUST" have these custom decks.

Sep 1, 2007
Belgrade, Serbia
Just finished the second video (bonus).

It was quite evident that you have performed both Chicago Opener and CMH numerous if not 1,000 or more times like you mentioned. You provided great patter and subtleties. I have never used the card box on the table as you did for a little stand and justification for putting the blue card back on the deck when you need to "move" the box out of the way. Very clever....I like it. I also enjoyed how you perform the chicago opener twice with the second person being further away to necessitate the hindu shuffle. Once again....WOW. Great stuff Toby.

The CMH section was great as well with the Houdini story or the funny business with being drunk and needing hand cuffs later. I am right handed and always perform it to the spectator in the right so that everyone else can see. I have never used the left hand to come up and block some of the move but that is good for future reference if I need it.

Once again...thanks for all of your expertise Toby.

Also...not that this is a big question but did you only perform using standard bicycle decks on the cruise ship? I only ask because I prefer to only use Bicycle cards in paid performances and wondered your thoughts on all of the young guys thinking that they "MUST" have these custom decks.
Thanks for the kind words Rick, really appreciate it, I'm glad you liked it.
As far as the regular bicycle decks goes, the answer is YES. I have ONLY used bicycle decks (apart from "Protea" deck which is a must for the effect I use it for aka. "Trilogy" by Alakazam ; and also a Phoenix deck because of Joshua Jay's Prism Deck). The main reason I use bicycle is because I give tons of cards away, so it is the cheapest and most affordable/available option for me. And also, all the gaff cards I use comes in bicycle back design.
Also because Twilight Angels, and the patter I use there. I say "when people are playing cards, they always look at the faces, which are all different right? But no one pays attention to the backs of the cards, which are all the same right? In this case, this is the Bicycle deck, have you seen this one before?" and 99.9% of people will say "Yes, I have one at home". That is vital for this effect. Because if no one recognized the backs, they would just blame it all on some special magical deck of cards.
So, young magicians, if I were you, I would only use bicycle deck in a real performance. I believe that all of these fancy new decks of cards have their place, ie. I love watching cardistry/flourishing videos made with all these new decks of cards. However, if you start performing professionally, you will soon realize that bicycle is by far the best option for you.

Mar 4, 2010
Have watched it now. Very informative and the bonus was my favourite part (specifically the reasons why you did what you did in the C.O)

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 1, 2007
Belgrade, Serbia
Have watched it now. Very informative and the bonus was my favourite part (specifically the reasons why you did what you did in the C.O)

Thanks man, glad you liked it. I was hoping that more people are gonna watch that and comment, because I did that bonus part to show other people how many details can you think about, even in a simple trick like Chicago Opener.

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
Toby...don't take offense, there have been countless times on here that some of the more experienced guys have thrown out some outstanding advice and it just gets glanced at by the young'ins waiting for the next deck to be released.

Sep 1, 2007
Belgrade, Serbia
Toby...don't take offense, there have been countless times on here that some of the more experienced guys have thrown out some outstanding advice and it just gets glanced at by the young'ins waiting for the next deck to be released.

I know, it's sad, but that's ok. I'll be more than happy to keep doing this, even if it's just for you Rick and couple of other guys.

Jan 19, 2009
I watched it now. It's pretty cool. :)
I'd like to work as a magician on a "Luxury ship".
You helped me a lot with your answers.
So I have 2 questions (a little bit stupid...):

-Is it OK if I'm just 19? So can I work as a magician on a ship at that age?

-What can you tell about see sickness? :D Unfortunately once I experienced that feeling and I think I can get dizzy etc ona ship. Somebody told me that on big ships you can't feel it...

-And I'm Hungarian. I can speak English (level advanced) and a little bit of Spanish and Italian. Is this enough?

Sep 1, 2007
Belgrade, Serbia
I watched it now. It's pretty cool. :)
I'd like to work as a magician on a "Luxury ship".
You helped me a lot with your answers.
So I have 2 questions (a little bit stupid...):

-Is it OK if I'm just 19? So can I work as a magician on a ship at that age?

-What can you tell about see sickness? :D Unfortunately once I experienced that feeling and I think I can get dizzy etc ona ship. Somebody told me that on big ships you can't feel it...

-And I'm Hungarian. I can speak English (level advanced) and a little bit of Spanish and Italian. Is this enough?

There is no such thing as a stupid question, just a stupid answer ;)
Those are actually great questions, I'll answer them in my next podcast.

Jun 25, 2008
The best insight ever. I want to work on a ship now, and I am seriously considering it. I've been on cruises before and I love it, and I can only imagine living on the ship performing for people. I will contact you soon with some additional details if you don't mind.

I have yet to watch the bonus. Will comment on it when I do so. Thanks!

Sep 1, 2007
Belgrade, Serbia
Just an update, I'm out of town for a week, so I'll get back to recording the second podcast when I get back. Thank you for your patience, both of you lol
Keep asking questions and commenting.
Thank you!

Jebzy

Elite Member
Jun 22, 2012
Latvia
Another week. :( I will wait. I think there is more than just two people who want to see next podcast, much more.
.... and Thanks to you!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results