Who's gonna be the next big Magician in the USA ?

formula

Elite Member
Jan 8, 2010
A mexican called Jesus. That would be so sick, the media would have a field day with it.

May 2, 2010
New York, New York
I would love to see a female magician become the next big thing. Its long over do.

Besides that Justin Beiber in drag preforming the next big flourish. I think thatt will sell big

Nov 8, 2007
I think it's going to be a while before we see a new face in magic on the level of Blaine and Angel. When it does happen, it will most likely be someone unexpected doing something equally as unexpected.

Dec 18, 2007
Northampton, MA - USA
Look at history and you will see a cycle with things along with an anomaly here and there such as Copperfield, who's reign in the public eye lasted considerably longer than most. For that matter the 60's well into the 90's was an exceptionally long run for a single style of magic to reign supreme; I blame it on the media just as I blame the media game for the duration of the Blaine & Angel situation (especially Angel. . . he bought and paid for a lot of extra PR but that's the catch, isn't it?)

David Blaine rarely plays the 4-Wall marketing game. He does one big PR stunt every 12 to 18 months so as to keep his name in people's mind and beyond that he's doing corporate gig after corporate gig, making real money.

Angel on the other hand has so alienated so many that he is in the position of having to buy his fame now days. . . you expect to see him in a "I once was famous" celebrity reality show within the next five years. He's a joke compared to where so many was hoping he'd end up initially.

My eyes are on Jason Latimer more than anyone; he's unique, very skilled, good looking, and willing to listen and grow -- he's not full of himself even with the success he's seen. If he competes in the next FISM and wins the Grand Prix, he will most certainly meet if not surpass Lance's gains. Though politics will be a definite factor, I can see him getting a sweet deal, possibly with Caesars (Derren Romeo has too much of an upper-hand when it comes to the Mirage but Derren certainly isn't out of the running).

There are a couple of others that could give Jason a run for his money but they are too much like Mac King and Harry Anderson in my opinion. Similarly, there are 3 youngsters (college age) lads that I'm watching, who have the right attitude and sense of focus to make it into the big time though I personally believe it is too soon for another big Box Act to hit the scene. The next big stage act has to offer a serious off-set from what we've seen over the past 150+ years and that's going to mean big money investments into newer ways of using old technology as well as the incorporation of newer technologies -- far less covering the girl up in order to chop her up or cause the vanish/appearance or transformation.

A female Headliner is highly unlikely in that 99% of those that try end up stooping to using their Tits & Ass to get somewhere vs. skill and discipline. The two women that were the most successful in the past 50 years both had . . . let's just say the public saw them as being too "available" and far too revealing when it came to costumes. Neither of them seemed capable of holding the same show room in Las Vegas for more then a couple of months. Of the less noted female performers. . . most face similar pit-falls with the exception of one or two Asian ladies who I think were exceptional, just not in the position or unwilling to play the games America Show Biz expects people to play. Princess Tenko for an example, delivered some of the most amazing combinations of large and conventional magic I've ever witnessed; her version of the Vampire Illusion being priceless! Yet, she never really "clicked" when it comes to the American market.

I would love to find a female performer that was strong enough to not stoop to the low brow act of using her physical "assets" in order to pack the house or get the better gigs (that would including the casting couch). But I fear that the burden facing female performers is far too great, especially as certain factions are now trying to turn back the clock on women's rights and turn them back into property and subservient factors in society.

There's going to be a lull for a couple of years though. Even if a magicians wins AGT we're not going to see someone hit things super hard for a little while yet, and I promise that they will be in their latter 20's or early 30's and most likely, more conservative or middle of the road vs. the radical and punkish attitudes we are now watching wane in public appeal.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results