A Members Challenge...

So Toby had a brilliant idea in another thread that I thought should be entertained more.

Would anyone be interested in participating in a friendly video performance challenge with each other here on the forums? Say... closeup magic for a real audience? 1 effect/routine, dealers choice? 2 votes. Popular (based upon a poll of the forum members at large) and Technical (based upon selected judges input.) Judges score based on Presentation, Technical Handling, Audience Interaction, and Overall Entertainment Value.

I don't know what we could do about prizes. I could probably pony up for some autographed cards from some of my Vegas contacts. Maybe I could throw in a few decks too. I mean it wouldn't be kick ass stuff like what T11 does for SNC's but at least it's something more than bragging rights.

I know we have a battle forum (or did at one point), and perhaps this is better suited to be hosted there. Except this isn't so much a battle between two people as it is an opportunity for anyone to jump in the fun. Thoughts? Opinions?

Sep 1, 2007
Belgrade, Serbia
So Toby had a brilliant idea in another thread that I thought should be entertained more.

Would anyone be interested in participating in a friendly video performance challenge with each other here on the forums? Say... closeup magic for a real audience? 1 effect/routine, dealers choice? 2 votes. Popular (based upon a poll of the forum members at large) and Technical (based upon selected judges input.) Judges score based on Presentation, Technical Handling, Audience Interaction, and Overall Entertainment Value.

I don't know what we could do about prizes. I could probably pony up for some autographed cards from some of my Vegas contacts. Maybe I could throw in a few decks too. I mean it wouldn't be kick ass stuff like what T11 does for SNC's but at least it's something more than bragging rights.

I know we have a battle forum (or did at one point), and perhaps this is better suited to be hosted there. Except this isn't so much a battle between two people as it is an opportunity for anyone to jump in the fun. Thoughts? Opinions?
Perfect, I'm in. It doesn't have to be that formal, I can imagine most people would back out of it because of fear of judges. So we can make it a contest, or we can make it a "collection" of live performance videos from our members. I will go for either.
As far as the prizes go, I would love to contribute, I just need to find a way to do it.

Pete Pridanonda

Elite Member
Jun 13, 2009
I'm in. But I have a few questions:
Can it be a video that you already have on youtube or do you have to make a new one for this contest?
Do you want to be the video performance of just one effect for an audience or do you want to be a full show? Will you get more points if it's a full show or is this contest only limited to just one effect.
Toby, I think it'll be better if it's a contest.

Well I think that the video submitted should be filmed specifically for the contest. For the sake of time I think all submissions should be of only 1 trick or routine. If it's taken from a larger show, then edit it down to feature the one effect. I like the collection idea too. I mean contests are fun but that may put a little too much pressure on this. Then again people may enjoy the competition too.

Pete Pridanonda

Elite Member
Jun 13, 2009
Sounds good. Let's make the announcement as soon as possible because I will start school in two weeks and might not have time.

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
I'd be in but don't really have any gigs lined up until I am back at school with my classroom of students. I don't really care about winning, but could get some good live footage of me doing a Friday performance like I do every Friday in my classroom. I know a lot of you have not seen me perform on video just pictures so it would be good for me as well.

Sep 1, 2007
Belgrade, Serbia
Maybe it doesn't have to be a new video, just the newest one you have. Since I'm not back on the ship for another month, and a live footage in Serbia is pointless because of the language.

Pete Pridanonda

Elite Member
Jun 13, 2009
When will the contest begins? Please pm me once you decided to make this official.
And William, yeah I think it's better if we could send in any video. I have a lot of great live performances up on my youtube channel but now I won't have another gig or family gathering in quite a while.

Sep 1, 2007
Belgrade, Serbia
I don't mind however you do it, just make the rules and regulations clear when you do

So how about this:

Rules:
-Must be a live performance in front of strangers (not friends or family)
-Must be only one trick (choice of a trick is up to you)
-Two way judging system (as suggested by William)
-Length of a video is up to you (remember that most people these days have ADD, so try not to make it 10 minutes long)
-Video has to be recent (let's say not older than 6 months)

Any thoughts?

Sounds great, im in.
Just a quick question though.
-Must be only one trick (choice of a trick is up to you)
What do you classify as only one trick? for example, i've got a street routine where the spectator continuously selects the same card over and over and i use this to flow straight into an ACR, talking about how that cards clearly quite ambitious if it keeps being selected. This is only a 5 minute routine using the same card all the time, but technically its multiple tricks strung together. I wont perform this for the contest if it goes ahead but its a good example of my query.
Cheers

Sep 1, 2007
Belgrade, Serbia
Sounds great, im in.
Just a quick question though. What do you classify as only one trick? for example, i've got a street routine where the spectator continuously selects the same card over and over and i use this to flow straight into an ACR, talking about how that cards clearly quite ambitious if it keeps being selected. This is only a 5 minute routine using the same card all the time, but technically its multiple tricks strung together. I wont perform this for the contest if it goes ahead but its a good example of my query.
Cheers
Well, if you do sponge rabbits and then "3 fly", those are two different tricks. However, if you classic force a card couple of times as a lead into your ambitious card (assuming that you are using the same card for forcing, and then ACR), then it can be considered as one trick. But if you force a card couple of times, and then give another spectator to choose a card and sign it for ACR, then those would be two different tricks.
Makes sense?

Josh Burch

Elite Member
Aug 11, 2011
Utah
For example, I've got a street routine where the spectator continuously selects the same card over and over and I use this to flow straight into an ACR...

In royal road this is how an ambitious card trick is explained. That the magician convinces the spectator that the whole deck is made up of one card :)

That's very clear toby, I'll see what I can do :)

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results