Demo Reel from a stage show - critique / enjoy

Jan 9, 2008
Sacramento
What do you think? Put this together yesterday out of about an hour and a half of footage.
[video=youtube;VMNYJ8kBXHU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMNYJ8kBXHU&feature=player_embedded[/video]

Show info in youtube description.

Advice / critique / questions appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jan 9, 2008
Sacramento
It was essentially mentalism with some of the traits of a TED talk. Each effect's presentation had a something enlightening/entertaining to take away from. I discussed probability, randomness, predictability, human fallibility, etc. With that context, maybe re-watch and see if that's your takeaway?

kevin

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
That was the impression I got.

My one critique is that there's a lot of moments of you either walking back and forth saying nothing, or you saying, "um" or "uh". I would cut those down. Try to get more snippets of you talking, try to find some of the talking point lines, and emphasize those. Right now, it looks like your show has a lot of you laughing at your own jokes and not saying anything. I'm sure that's not what it is, so try to look for footage that shows that your show is interesting and fun.

Justin.Morris

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2007
Canada
www.morrismagic.ca
I agree about the ums and uhs. I heard the audience laughing a lot, and thought the clip was very good. I would add some clips of the audience laughing and having fun. That would be my only thought.

Josh Burch

Elite Member
Aug 11, 2011
Utah
I'd love to go to your show it looks great! The reel looks a little choppy. I'd hi-light fewer clips with more one liners. There were a couple clips that didn't make much sense at all. You look very professional and on top of things.

Jan 9, 2008
Sacramento
ChristopherT - Thanks for the response. I'll look through the video again for more talking points. I know of a place where I can pull something good from. Laughing at my own jokes was a problem I had throughout the show, where I would giggle a little after the audience laughed at something I said. I'll have to work on it. Also, the ums and uhs came from not having my script memorized enough... I'll work on that too hah.

Justin.Morris - More laughter? I thought I showed a good amount. Personal preference? I don't want it to seem like comedy magic, which it isn't.

goatears - Thanks! If you're ever in Santa Barbara, I'll give you a ticket to the next show. What do you mean by choppy? About the clip order / lack of narrative? It could definitely be improved. It's hard to put together something half-cohesive without ruining a part of the show.

Kevin

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
ChristopherT - Thanks for the response. I'll look through the video again for more talking points. I know of a place where I can pull something good from. Laughing at my own jokes was a problem I had throughout the show, where I would giggle a little after the audience laughed at something I said. I'll have to work on it. Also, the ums and uhs came from not having my script memorized enough... I'll work on that too hah.

Honestly, it's not such a bad thing to chuckle at your own jokes as long as you don't over do it. Sometimes my favorite moments are when a performer is trying not to laugh, but just can't help it. Definitely need to have your script memorized completely, that's very important.

Last edited by a moderator:
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results