Fontaine

Dec 29, 2011
The reviews on the page just came out, and I'm quite sceptical. I've never really explored sandwich effects, so this doesn't really seem my natural inclination to buy this, but people are acting as though Zac Mueller is the second coming of Jesus Christ in the reviews. Is the move really that good?

Jul 25, 2012
Detroit, MI
Well i'm an Atheist so i wouldnt go as far to say "The Second Coming", but it is a very great move that will pay for itself within the first 5 minutes, Zach provides many diffrent application's and also the move can be used for man other tricks not just sandwhich effect's.

Aug 31, 2007
Hey Wyatt,

I'm a huge skeptic myself, so I know where you're coming from. I was a bit shocked by the reviews too, I hoped for positivity, but people really seem to be enjoying it!

Fontaine actually isn't a sandwich trick - it has some similarities, and is definitely meant be adapted to any routine, the sandwich variety being one of them ;)

To sum it up, fontaine is a move. It's one move that allows you to make a card visually turn face up, face down, change and disappear between two other cards. There are 3 main effects taught, but ultimately the goal is for you to incorporate it into your own magic. It's extremely fun to practice, but it's even more fun coming up with something completely new with it :)

Here's a rundown of what's inside:

'The Fontaine Effect' - a card is selected and lost in the pack. Two red jacks are shown with a joker (the 'wildcard') between them. The joker inbetween the jacks are spread out into biddle grip - the card instantly jumps facedown with a wave of your hand, and then jumps back faceup with another shake. The cards are shown on both sides, and the joker disappears completely. Both jacks are shown both front and back, and with another shake of the hand, a facedown card appears between them. When this card is turned over, it's revealed not to be the joker, but in fact the selected card chosen from the start.

'The Grasshopper Fontaine' - two Jacks are placed face up on top of the deck. A card is chosen from the center, and lost in the pack. The jacks are one by one shown on both sides, and are turned facedown onto the deck. A snap of the fingers, and the selected card jumps inbetween the jacks. With the jacks surrounding the selected card, they are spread out in biddle grip, and the arms are crossed. With a wave of the hand, the selected card disappears from the jacks and pops out from the center of the deck (jumping back to where it started).

'why-MAX' - this is more of a bonus effect, in which a card is placed in between two jacks, all three cards are turned face down, and with a wave, the selected card visually vanishes. The cards are immediately turned face up to show only two jacks, but with another wave of the hand, the card pops back into existence, between the two jacks.

Among these three routines, I also teach a few bonus applications, and encourage you to take bits and pieces from each routine and make it your own. There's lots to be uncovered with the sleight, and it's definitely not a closed book. Everyone can interpret it differently, and the hope is that even if you don't perform any of these tricks, you will find a use for it in your own effects :)

With all that said, I appreciate your interest, and possible consideration in buying it. I encourage you to check it out, I genuinely think you'll enjoy it. Even if you're not into sandwich tricks, you may find a use for it somewhere else.

In regards to the Jesus Christ reference - I won't be dying for anyone's sins any time soon. But I do enjoy fish.

~Zach

Mark

Lead Sourcerer // theory11
Jul 23, 2007
USA
www.theory11.com
Besides being a very cool effect, this is one of the most in-depth instructional videos I've seen posted on The Wire to-date. *hat tip*

Dec 29, 2011
Thank you for responding personally. It does look great, but to me the reviews seemed unrealistic, though I think I'm convinced, might pick it up soon.

Oct 22, 2011
California
while there's a post about fontaine I think I'll pop in a question. I bought fontaine and when I went to download it after purchasing it, it opened a new window on google chrome to play it that took FOREVER to load and didn't allow me to pause rewind or skip ahead. When I got it saved to a quick time movie and tried to open it, it said quick time didn't recognize it and couldn't play it. So my question, therefore, is do I simply need the newer version of quicktime or quicktime pro? awesome move btw and very well produced.

Nov 27, 2009
while there's a post about fontaine I think I'll pop in a question. I bought fontaine and when I went to download it after purchasing it, it opened a new window on google chrome to play it that took FOREVER to load and didn't allow me to pause rewind or skip ahead. When I got it saved to a quick time movie and tried to open it, it said quick time didn't recognize it and couldn't play it. So my question, therefore, is do I simply need the newer version of quicktime or quicktime pro? awesome move btw and very well produced.

What OS are you using? That sounds like the a very simple problem to solve, but it's easier if I know what OS you're on.

Jan 22, 2012
It is annoying at FIRST. But after a couple of days of just doing that non stop it will be worth it. Also you will feel cramping in the first few hours. Just saying.

I really like the look of fontaine, except I can't convince my parents to let me get it, they think its too much for a trick and well, I agree. At the end of the day, I understand that Zach has done a great job, but if it was a little cheaper, then maybe more people would buy it. As much as I love Zach's work, I just wish it was cheaper, so I could get it :'(

Jan 22, 2012
Honestly if you think about it, yes it is expensive, but look at this way you really are getting your moneys worth. It's not like most downloads on the wire where it's a simple one trick that 5 minutes long that costs triple as much then it should. You get an HOUR worth of information to use that sleight correctly and then apply to various routines. But I can understand it's expensive, but it's worth it.

Honestly if you think about it, yes it is expensive, but look at this way you really are getting your moneys worth. It's not like most downloads on the wire where it's a simple one trick that 5 minutes long that costs triple as much then it should. You get an HOUR worth of information to use that sleight correctly and then apply to various routines. But I can understand it's expensive, but it's worth it.

Yes, in that way I see where you're coming from. It looks really good, but like I said I'll have to convince my parents, that its worth it. Either way I still won't be able to get it :'(

Aug 31, 2007
Fontaine is the same price as a deck of Monarchs. Or 2 cups of Starbucks coffee. Or the tip you leave at the Cheesecake Factory. Or half the price of 3D movie ticket. Depending on which theater in LA you go to. Avengers IMAX 3D was $19.50. We live in a cruel world, guys.

I priced this as low as humanly possible without discounting my hard work. While the opinion of it being priced correctly is solely up to each individual buyer, countless people have told me this should have been $9.95. That it should have been $19.95. That I could've released it as a DVD for $34.95.

I wanted to get Fontaine into as many hands as possible without discounting my months of hard work on the move, and weeks of production for the download. It was worth it for me. The feedback has been phenomenal, and it makes me so happy that so many people are learning it, performing it, and creating with it. I think it will be worth it for you too :)

Aug 19, 2012
UK
I agree, i think it easily could have been a 35 dollar dvd, and people still would have bought it. I bought it, and i love it! There's so much to be done with it, so it's 100% worth the price.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results