help with the expert at the card table

Jan 16, 2012
georgia
I just bought the expert at the card table and I've read through a lot of it but I'm a very visual learner and cant really make a lot of sense on most of it. I get the jist of what the book is telling me to do in most parts but just cant under stand a lot of the finger movements. Is here a dvd or an updated version with more pictures?

Sep 2, 2007
London
I just bought the expert at the card table and I've read through a lot of it but I'm a very visual learner and cant really make a lot of sense on most of it. I get the jist of what the book is telling me to do in most parts but just cant under stand a lot of the finger movements. Is here a dvd or an updated version with more pictures?

Other people might tell you different, but my opinion is that the two DVD versions on the market don't give a completely accurate rendering of all the techniques. If you do decide to go down the DVD route, though, then I'd go for Allen Ackerman's set rather than Wesley James's. Having said that, for a beginner in Erdnase's techniques, there's certainly nothing wrong with supplementing your reading with learning from DVD, as long as you continually return to the text to form your own view of what he was getting at.

Are there any particular moves you're stuck on, or sections of text you don't understand? I'd be happy to help if I can.

Jan 16, 2012
georgia
thank you

Other people might tell you different, but my opinion is that the two DVD versions on the market don't give a completely accurate rendering of all the techniques. If you do decide to go down the DVD route, though, then I'd go for Allen Ackerman's set rather than Wesley James's. Having said that, for a beginner in Erdnase's techniques, there's certainly nothing wrong with supplementing your reading with learning from DVD, as long as you continually return to the text to form your own view of what he was getting at.

Are there any particular moves you're stuck on, or sections of text you don't understand? I'd be happy to help if I can.

thank you very much for the info. I'm enjoying the book and am starting to understand a little more each time i read it. If i do get really stuck I'm glad to know there is someone willing to help. but for now i think i might check out the dvds. thank you once again.

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
If you can afford it, try to get Dai Vernon's Revelation book, the text from the original Expert at the card is touched and made clearer, The pictures are also touched up and easier to read. Also, you get a lot of Vernon's hints and pictures of his hands explaining some of the sleights, plus a bunch of other extra stuff in the back.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008

Visual learner is a vastly mis-used term.

My advice is this. Read a passage. Try to visualize what's being described. It may help to have the cards in your hands. If you can't visualize it, re-read it. Try this several more times. If you can't get it at that point, go onto YouTube and search for the specific move name. I had to do this for a couple moves in EATCT. Some times you just have to see it done.

Sometimes you also just have to ask someone else to describe it another way. Sometimes a slightly different wording makes all the difference.

Keep working at it and don't get discouraged. I think it was Dai Vernon that said that no book rewards the dedicated student more, and the casual reader less.

Sep 8, 2012
there is a dvd version by simon lovell and wes james, but that is trash. read the book over and over, it'll make sense. read the theory section, especially the technical terms. :D

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results