Sweaty Palms Ruin My Cards!

Sep 8, 2012
Hi guys, I have been into card magic and cardistry for a year now and I noticed I have really sweaty hands only when I handle cards. It seems that the more expensive the deck, the more my palms sweat :( . And its not because I'm nervous or my hands are warm, it just HAPPENS. Can you guys help me by telling me what I should apply to my hands to stop them from sweating? I have heard of anti perspirant for hands which is quite expensive. I have also tried talc powder and baby powder XD on my hands which stops the sweating for a while. But I have heard that if the powder gets of your cards it will really screw up your deck. So I am hoping some of you guys have the same problem I have and can give me some advice and a solution. Thanks :)

Sep 8, 2012
well, what I do is wash my hands, dry them with the towel and continue the practice. and one more thing. don't be afraid of your cards. it's not a big difference in handling bikes and monarchs, they are just cards.

I sometimes have the same problem, to stop them from getting sweaty I wash them, cold water works better, also if you use like liquid soap it makes your hands soft. Or maybe if this doesn't work for you, go and see a doctor, maybe you just have sweaty hands, not meaning to offend you. Maybe you could also try plastic decks, not ones that are all plastic but ones with a plastic coating, I don't think it will ruin them. Hope this helps

Apr 29, 2012
My hands do that sometimes to. But usually only when performing. So I think my sweaty hands are caused by nerves, but plastic decks make my hands even more sweaty for some reason.

I know what you mean by the nerves, sometimes when I perform on the street my hands begin to shake. I hate it, and I can't stop my hands from shaking. I don't know what to do, when my hands shake I feel like I'm going to drop my cards, flash or completely forget what I'm doing. What should I do?

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
If the sweaty palms and hands come from nerves...that eventually goes away in time with repetition in front of spectators. I promise it does go away....I had the same problem for about a year in magic and my cards would clump and then they (the cards) wouldn't work well.

If you just simply have sweaty hands or palms, then try Purell or any other alcohol based hand sanitizer. It will dry you hands out and help immensely.

Sep 8, 2012
Thanks guys for giving me the advice. So far i have found that washing my hands with cold water and soap dont really help me. After I dry them and go back to my cards, the start sweating again. I don't really want to use plastic coated cards either because i prefer bikes. And the weird thing is my hands dont sweat when I am performing, it only sweats because im handling a deck of cards. So its not cause im nervous. Thanks Rick Rverhart for the hand sanitizer idea cause it really works! All I do if im gonna handle a deck is apply a bit of sanitizer on my hands and it stops sweating. I have also found antiseptic dusting powder really helps. I apply it once and i stops my palms from sweating throughout the day. So thanks a lot guys for your advice.

For the people with the same problem I have, try hand sanitizer and the antiseptic dusting powder.

Powder Ingredients:
Talcum 74%
Zinc Oxide 25%
Chlorhexidine 0.5%

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 8, 2012
well, what I do is wash my hands, dry them with the towel and continue the practice. and one more thing. don't be afraid of your cards. it's not a big difference in handling bikes and monarchs, they are just cards.

Thanks for the advice. But I like in a country and the decks like bikes and monarchs are really expensive :p

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results