Magic Quiz #1 Ultra Modern History

Josh Burch

Elite Member
Aug 11, 2011
Utah
Hey, just for the heck of it I decided to put together a super cool magic quiz! I'll post the answers sometime this week. This is going to cover fairly modern history, maybe I'll do a couple more quizzes that go back further. Post your answers below and don't cheat, there's no prizes for the winner just a good feeling :)

1. What are the first names of the Buck twins?

2. Who is the creator of the 5 Faces of Sybil aka Sybil Cut?

3. Name 3 people who are currently on David Copperfield's creative team.

4. Name the owner of the library of the conjuring arts.

5. Name the CEO's or founders of the following websites;
Theory11
Vanishing Inc
Ellusionist
Blue Crown

6. Name 3 magicians who competed in FISM at Blackpool.

7. Name 3 people who have been on David Blaine's creative team on at least one of his specials.

8. True or False There is only one member of the magical team Siegfried and Roy living today, if true which is living?

9. Name one magic book that came out in the past 5 years

10. True or False Criss Angel is the current record holder for the fastest straight jacket escape.

11. True or False Ricky Jay once held the world record for longest card throw, who currently holds the record?

12. who gave Dynamo his name?

13. How old is Criss Angel? 26, 35, 44, 56

14. How old is David Blaine? 21, 29, 39, 46, 51

15. How old is David Copperfield? 35, 45, 55, 65

Last edited by a moderator:

Josh Burch

Elite Member
Aug 11, 2011
Utah
It's important to know these names when you are making magic purchases or when someone makes a reference. It is important to know some of their credentials.

For question #3 you're totally right wizzjokeribhim other acceptable answers include but are not limited to Mike Hankins, Homer Liwag, Patrick Kun, and Robert Smith.

Last edited by a moderator:

Josh Burch

Elite Member
Aug 11, 2011
Utah
I know it's only been 24 hours but I'll give the answers. For the most part I asked each of the questions to dispel a bit of a myth or included a bit of info that, in my opinion, any beginner should know about modern magic.

4. Name the owner of the library of the conjuring arts.

Bill Kalush, a world class historian. He created ask Alexander and knew David Blaine before he got big. As far as I understand they are basically best friends.

5. Name the CEO's or founders of the following websites;

The founders of these websites made significant footprints on magic before they ever tried to make it big. If we want to be like them we can try to follow their pattern

Theory11 Jonathon Bayme
Vanishing Inc Joshua Jay, Andy Gladwin
Ellusionist Brad
Blue Crown Alex Pandrea

6. Name 3 magicians who competed in FISM at Blackpool.

I just think this is good to know. Answers include, Teller, Shin Lim, Yohann Stahl, Latko and Will Tsai. For a full run check out FISM's website

7. Name 3 people who have been on David Blaine's creative team on at least one of his specials.

Danny Garcia, Dan White, Robert Smith, Dan Hauss, Paul Harris

8. True or False There is only one member of the magical team Siegfried and Roy living today, if true which is living?

They are both living! I posted this because there is a huge rumor that one is dead. Nope, they are both alive and retired. Yes, it is true that Roy was attacked on stage but he is still living.

Many young guys could name all the latest one trick DVDs but never look at the books out there. One of the best books to come out in a long time is the definitive Sankey

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey

Many young guys could name all the latest one trick DVDs but never look at the books out there. One of the best books to come out in a long time is the definitive Sankey

Hmmmm. I'm not sure I agree. Lots to choose from in the last five years, these are from a quick check inside the front cover of some of the books on my shelf:

A Book in English - Woody Aragon (2011)
Maelstorm - Tom Stone (2011)
Vortex - Tom Stone (2010)
Gift Magic - Larry Haas (2010)
Moments and Destroyers - Troy Hooser / Joshua Jay (2010)
One Degree - John Gustaferro (2010)
Secret Agenda - Roberto Giobbi (2010)
Card College Lightest - Roberto Giobbi (2010)
Relaxed Impossibilities - Ken Krenzel and Stephen Minch (2009)
Technique and Understanding - Jim Steinmeyer (2009)
Psychological Subtleties 3 - Banacheck (2009)
Card College Lighter - Roberto Giobbi (2008)
Verbal Magic - Tamariz (2008)
Transformations - Larry Haas (2007)
Scripting Magic - Peter McCabe (2007)
The Paper Engine - Aaron Fisher (2007)
Psychological Subtleties 2 - Banacheck (2007)
WD40 - Wayne Dobson (2007)

Josh Burch

Elite Member
Aug 11, 2011
Utah
10. True or False Criss Angel is the current record holder for the fastest straight jacket escape.

Nope, this is not and has never been true. Criss Angel appeared on America's Got Talent to "Set the record". They made it out as if he did. Joe Fox held the record for upside down straight jacket escape and Alan Smola broke his record. For right side up escapes the record goes to Ben Bradshaw for doing it in 7 seconds

11. True or False Ricky Jay once held the world record for longest card throw, who currently holds the record?

yes Ricky Jay once held the record for longest and fastest but his record was beat by Ricky Smith Jr.

12. Who gave Dynamo his name?

As far as I understand it was David Blaine. I'm pretty sure they get along just fine so any rivalry "Blaine vs. Dynamo" is most likely made up by someone else

13. How old is Criss Angel? 26, 35, 44, 56

He's 44, he's not a young guy at all. He could conceivably be Calen Morelli's father. He's not, but he's old enough to be!

14. How old is David Blaine? 21, 29, 39, 46, 51

39 not too big of a surprise to me :)

15. How old is David Copperfield? 35, 45, 55, 65

He's only 55. That might be surprisingly young for the old guys and surprisingly old for the new guys. He was 19 or 20 years old when he landed his first tv special.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results