The Paper Engine and One-Hand Popover by Aaron F.

Adrian Honcharov

Elite Member
Jan 1, 2012
Hi every one ! few month ago i have discovered awesome DvD from Aaron fisher called ,,search and destroy,, i was really amazed how awesome that trick was but also my biggest astonishment was that the teaching quality was on the top level ! I am thinking about buying One-Hand popover dvd and Paper Engine book by Aaron Fisher.So the questions are :
1) What do you think about those products.Are they good as Search and Destroy ( i mean tips and psychologie behind the trick )
2) Will it be OK for me to learn from book like Paper Engine ? becuase all tricks i have learned are mainly from DVD's and downloads.So this will be mine first magic book ( also english is not my main language,because i am from Ukraine :) )
Please answer.Your opinion is really important for me ! Thank you !

Last edited by a moderator:
Nov 27, 2009
I love learning from books. It might take a little longer to learn and understand the tricks than you're used to, but it's worth the effort. Since english is not your first language this will be especially true. The way I learn from books is this. First I read the trick in it's entirety without trying to learn it. Then I pick up a deck and follow along making sure I understand every step before moving on to the next one. Then I try to do the trick with the book in front of me as a reference. I usually do this 4 or 5 times. Then I do the trick without using the book. Finally I add the presentation after I understand how the trick works.

As far as the contents of the book goes, I can't help you there. I do know that Aaron Fisher consistently puts out excellent material and the psychology behind his tricks is always simple and brilliant. His youtube series, The Card Magic Minute was extremely helpful to me when it was running, and his free trick taught in How Sleight of Hand Really Works youtube series is excellent. You will not be disappointed if the Paper Engine is anything like his other material.

Adrian Honcharov

Elite Member
Jan 1, 2012
I love learning from books. It might take a little longer to learn and understand the tricks than you're used to, but it's worth the effort. Since english is not your first language this will be especially true. The way I learn from books is this. First I read the trick in it's entirety without trying to learn it. Then I pick up a deck and follow along making sure I understand every step before moving on to the next one. Then I try to do the trick with the book in front of me as a reference. I usually do this 4 or 5 times. Then I do the trick without using the book. Finally I add the presentation after I understand how the trick works.

As far as the contents of the book goes, I can't help you there. I do know that Aaron Fisher consistently puts out excellent material and the psychology behind his tricks is always simple and brilliant. His youtube series, The Card Magic Minute was extremely helpful to me when it was running, and his free trick taught in How Sleight of Hand Really Works youtube series is excellent. You will not be disappointed if the Paper Engine is anything like his other material.
WoW ! thank you alot for you advice :)

May 21, 2011
Bedford, England
I own the Paper Engine and there is some brilliant stuff in there!! Very innovative sleights and, even though sometimes slightly technical, very beautifully constructed tricks. Aaron's Additional Thoughts and Commentary which he puts at the end of each explanation is almost worth the price of the book! It really helps you learn the routines in all of their glory. One of the best books in my library.

However, One Hand Popover is explained in The Paper Engine. The main difference between the two products (besides one being a book and the other DVD) is that the book explains the sleight and two tricks. The DVD goes over the sleight as well as a bunch of other different ideas, such as card revelations, four of a kind productions, and other really cool applications.

It all depends on what you want. I own both and they're both great products, no doubt about that.

Hope that helps.

Popover move is a really difficult one and requires a lot of practice ... so if you have the power to practice just go for it
Paper Engine book by Aaron Fisher is one of the greatest magic books ... a lot of practical material in it but for me I prefer learning from DVDs just as you ... So think a lot before buying it

Jul 13, 2010
I would say you can`t go wrong. I also think Aaron is one best magic teachers I´ve seen/read. The book is very detailed and I don`t think that you`ll miss something. However I think (althoug I just own his book and watched his MM and other free videos) that his learning videos are even more indepth, because they only deal with one effect/sleight/whatever.
One the other hand the book contains much more material.
If you can, buy the book, read it, and if you want to know more about a sleight or effect in the book, buy his DVD ;)
I don`t want to discuss this indepth, but learning from books also has some advantages.
Books force you do really understand and THINK about what`s going on, without copying the style of a video performer.
DVDs show you the right timing and sometimes gives you more confidence, because you are seeing that things are feasible.
Having both can`t hurt, can it ?

Last edited by a moderator:

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
The Paper Engine is full of valuable information. While the classics should be studied, there's no reason not to check out this book as well, particularly if one is already liking material from it.

Adrian Honcharov

Elite Member
Jan 1, 2012
I would say you can`t go wrong. I also think Aaron is one best magic teachers I´ve seen/read. The book is very detailed and I don`t think that you`ll miss something. However I think (althoug I just own his book and watched his MM and other free videos) that his learning videos are even more indepth, because they only deal with one effect/sleight/whatever.
One the other hand the book contains much more material.
If you can, buy the book, read it, and if you want to know more about a sleight or effect in the book, buy his DVD ;)
I don`t want to discuss this indepth, but learning from books also has some advantages.
Books force you do really understand and THINK about what`s going on, without copying the style of a video performer.
DVDs show you the right timing and sometimes gives you more confidence, because you are seeing that things are feasible.
Having both can`t hurt, can it ?
Thx ! i think i will take both. :)

Nov 27, 2009
Nah....i have already learned too much from the dvd's,so i think it will be quiet boring to me.Maybe i am wrong,but also English is not my main language,so it will take 2x effort to do effects from the books.

Here's one place where I can give my 2 cents on the actual books and not just the author. I have a small collection of paper magic books and a little more than 60 ebooks, all of them classics, or forgotten relics of the past. Every time I read one of those books, it gives me insight into what our predecessors were thinking when they invented their miracles. I also learn new tricks or ideas from these books almost every time. The classics contain so much excellent material that I think it is impossible to get bored with them, and the tricks on the DVD's you have all can be traced back in some way to an idea found in one of the classic volumes.

I understand the language problem, and it is for that reason that I say you are smart to use DVDs instead. The classics are old, so they use older language. (Not like Shakespeare, it's still recognizable as english, unlike what he wrote.) They are sometimes more difficult to read because of this, even for people who have english as their only language.

My advice to you is this, find someone who knows the classics and have them teach you their favorite tricks from the old books. You may find that you want to learn more of these "ancient miracles." If you do, go find a classic or two and read it. It will be worth the effort.

Adrian Honcharov

Elite Member
Jan 1, 2012
Here's one place where I can give my 2 cents on the actual books and not just the author. I have a small collection of paper magic books and a little more than 60 ebooks, all of them classics, or forgotten relics of the past. Every time I read one of those books, it gives me insight into what our predecessors were thinking when they invented their miracles. I also learn new tricks or ideas from these books almost every time. The classics contain so much excellent material that I think it is impossible to get bored with them, and the tricks on the DVD's you have all can be traced back in some way to an idea found in one of the classic volumes.

I understand the language problem, and it is for that reason that I say you are smart to use DVDs instead. The classics are old, so they use older language. (Not like Shakespeare, it's still recognizable as english, unlike what he wrote.) They are sometimes more difficult to read because of this, even for people who have english as their only language.

My advice to you is this, find someone who knows the classics and have them teach you their favorite tricks from the old books. You may find that you want to learn more of these "ancient miracles." If you do, go find a classic or two and read it. It will be worth the effort.

Wow ! thank you for such a great reply ! i'll try to find some classic.

Jul 13, 2010

Absolutely.
I´m a collector of magic books, but not just for the purpose of performing the material in it.
I was looking for a special classic, the Alex Elmsley books, unfortunately out of print, for a long time, but wasn`t lucky and didn`t want to pay 200+ $ for a used copy.
I just found The Classic Magic of Alex Elmsley 1&2 ebooks at L&L publishing.
It`s fantastic and for you will get both ebooks for the price of a single-trick DVD. A no-brainer.
Two other books I want are the Complete Walton 1 & 2. The good news, it`ll be republished soon!
The problem with these classic books is, some of them are out of print and for used copies, the prices often are beyond good and evil.

May 3, 2012
imo it is easier to learn from a book than from a video, in the book you have everything in detail and you put your imagination to work and that is very important, i read the paper engine a bit and aaron explains variations of things like the bluff pass, half pass and other things so i believe you should get a more "basic" book of techniques like card college and the go for the papr engine

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results