My first Kirkendall Reel

Hello t11,

Today I got my Kirkendall Reel. I really don't want to break it or do something wrong so I am asking you. I've seen that I was supposed to get a care guide with the reel, but I didn't get anything.

Should I replace the black thread in the reel with some transparent fishing line?
Should I remove the 2 metal things that I don't find any use for? If yes, how?

I can't find any relevant stuff on the interwebz about this reel.

Dec 18, 2007
Northampton, MA - USA
DO NOT attempt to take it apart and leave the thread as is, it's what's worked for at least two generations that I'm aware of.

Write to the people you ordered it from and ask where the Care & Feeding guide is and why it wasn't included. Any legit device of that caliber will come with such a guide that includes Do's & Don'ts.

Two Metal Things?

Are they on the back side of the reel?

If so, they are to help you place the unit so that it is easily accessible and yet hidden. . . memory serving, that's the case.

They might be for locking & holding the line as well, there is an older version of reel designs that this rather than the pressure lock built within the case such as you find with most quality Ring Flight units. . . locking reels are priceless!

I would suggest that you refrain from doing ANY modifications to the thing until you've spoken with some experienced reel workers, preferably old farts that have owned such a device. If memory serves, there is at least one book out there on working with Reels that you should try tracking down. I'm not certain who wrote it, but do some footwork just asking miscellaneous shops and book dealers (specializing in magic) if they can direct you to such a source, I know they exist.

Remember though, 5 minutes after you remove something you will discover why it was there and why you just screwed up. It's like throwing about things in a work shop. . .

Thank you Craig :)

EDIT: I found out that by twisting the metal things on the back of the reel I can release or tighten up the spring inside the reel. The guys who sold me the reel didn't answer my email about the care manual. Does any of you have it? Or a pdf version of it? I would really like to know how to fix the reel if it breaks. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Now I could really use some help. I can no longer get more than a few inches of the whole thread out of the reel. I didn't receive the care and feedin of a reel and I can't find it anywhere on the internet. Anyone has it? I'm kind of desperate right now.

Apr 18, 2010
Now I could really use some help. I can no longer get more than a few inches of the whole thread out of the reel. I didn't receive the care and feedin of a reel and I can't find it anywhere on the internet. Anyone has it? I'm kind of desperate right now.

I knew George kirkendall very very well. He lived in ohio. I got to perform with him, I got to jam with him, and he was the ORIGINAL coin machinist before lassen or schoolcraft. You should not have messed with it at ALL! What you did was break the reel (in what it is originally supposed to do) when you messed with the two metal tabs on the back. I believe that gaylord is the only one who has the rights to the reels and coins george left behind.
JM

UPDATE: My thread broke so I had to open the reel to replace it. I also took some pictures if anyone wants to see inside the reel. BTW tell me if this is fake lol :D
I also put the photo of "The care and feeding of a reel" for everyone who needs it and has spent 2 weeks trying to find it on the interwebz. It was quiet easy to put it back together( the reel ).

http://postimage.org/gallery/57bezog/

Last edited by a moderator:
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results