What Tricks Have You Seen At A Magic Convention

Nov 25, 2007
This post has been edited due to the amazing responses and assistance I have received here... you guys are awesome! Cheers...

Last edited by a moderator:

Bizzaro

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2007
Vegas
www.smappdooda.com
Why? Because magic is incestuous. They see one person perform and/or win using certain props and they think that is what you need to win. I once asked a competitor if he was doing the act he wanted to or thought he NEEDED to. He had no response. Certain props are used because they have been used for so long and a lot of magicians consider those tricks and props to be "classic" and think that is what magic "is"

There are some great original acts out there. It's rare you will see them at a magic convention because there are still close minded traditionalists in charge of booking the acts that THEY want to see.

All that aside, I have seen some fantastic unique acts at magic conventions.

May 18, 2008
It's interesting because I was pondering this point after coming back from a convention yesterday. I think Bizzaro is correct about people feeling as if they "have" to do a certain kind of magic to win competitions. However, I really feel that it's more about the fact that there is a LOT of magic. When you have, say... 3 billion card routines and 2 routines with, say, penguins, it's going to be more rare to see an act with a pet penguin.

Also, a lot of the magicians who are competing at conventions do it to learn. Some are finessing acts or looking for feedback, so it's not always the most innovative material that you see there. It's often something that the magician hopes one day will turn into that after performing it so often.

May 18, 2008
To be fair you can be creative with standard props. Classic and original can mix well if done right. (See the two most recent FISM winners)

Oh, absolutely. I was just using it as an example. If there is a TON of standard magic, it's what people are more likely to see at a convention.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results