Where Does Magic Happen?

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
I wanted to share this part of Bob Rees Lecture notes as I am sitting here reading them.

I suggest this begs the question - "Where Does Magic Happen?" I can guarantee you it does not happen in the red, black, and gold box with the dragons painted on it. It does not happen in the sealed deck of playing cards or inside the Okito box. It certainly doesn't happen in the magician's hands.

It only happens in the mind of the audience. No where else.

All of the props, music, lighting, etc. are meant to assist the production of real magic. The magician is the only a conduit in the "creation" of magic.

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
In the Bedroom. In the backseat of a 1974 Impala. In a limo. during a Rolling Stones concert.

I agree that it tends to happen in the minds of the spectators which is why my favorite magic is usually implicit rather super visual. Because than it forces the spectator to use their imaginations.

Oct 4, 2012
Ever since I read Teller's Smithsonian articles I've found myself agreeing with Teller about how magic is an intellectual experience. Specifically I think magic happens in the part of our brain that compares what our senses tell us with our opinion of reality.

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
Great posts fellas. I am also in agreement with Mad Hatter, that I do think it happens in our brains. It is our brain trying to deal with reality or our perception of what "reality" is and seeing things happen that should not and can not be. I know that sounds weird but I think most of you get where I am going.

I hope to hear more of peoples thoughts on this. I think magic can be created in our minds from many different senses.

For example: Seeing my son learn how to ride his bicycle for the first time without training wheels as he speeds down the drive with a
smile on his face. That creates a magical moment for me. That feeling that you just cannot describe in words.
or Hearing the laughter of my daughter even in another room creates a magical feeling inside me.

Apr 1, 2009
California
I agree to an extent, but I do believe that magic goes beyond what our audience experiences. Yes, the magic is in the experience but not necessarily just what our audience experiences but also what the performer is experiencing. For anyone who's performed anything, there is something truly magical in that moment of the performance where you hit that "sweet spot". You go into the performance with your stomach in your throat, knees wobbling, hands shaking, you give everything you've got just to get through the next however many minutes of your life alive. Then you hit that sweet spot. For instance, as a musician, you hit that run on the piano exactly how you want it, or the note while you sing. Or you pull off a perfect Grand Jete. It's THAT moment that I strive for as well. That's when you go from a "show and tell" performance that people sit through because they're either related to you or friends to a performance that moves them. 'Magic' is an art like any other. Simply another medium for creating such moments and feelings in both you and the spectator. It's a different medium for evoking different emotions and responses that you can't quite get from music, film, painting, etc... As each of those get different emotions and responses from one another as well. That's also where I agree with Rick with the story of his son. That's another one of those "magic moments", a moment that can't quite be received in any of the mentioned arts. Birth of a child, first kiss, first time holding hands even, reunion with a loved one, graduation, engagement, wedding... This is what life is about, achieving these moments that astonish you and give you that "magic feeling". It's up to you to collect them whenever you can, as much as you can and to pass it on to others. I don't rate the success of my life by how much money I make, but rather upon experiencing these moments. I could go through an entire week of mediocrity, even receiving my paycheck... But what makes my week could be an unexpected letter or phone call from a loved one, listening to a song or watching a movie that makes me cry, or a simple compliment. That is the meaning of life. Magic is one of the finest tools for creating such moments at will. The End.

Sep 1, 2012
usa
Yeah, I too think that it is only the mind where all mess up gets started and the mind perceives the illusion of magic or something like magical things.

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
I'll disagree. True magic happens in your heart and soul. It is what connects us to others and what makes us human.

Can you make your performances resonate like the magical moments in our lives?

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
Asher, loved your post and your thoughts. David is correct as well. That is why I posted this type of topic. I wanted to hear other perspectives and opinions on this topic. It definitely makes you stop and think and appreciate what we do for people and also to enjoy the magic moments in our lives.

Jun 17, 2012
I think the bond between people is magical too, im 15 and i enjoy meeting new people and have fun which i do through magic.

Jan 29, 2011
The District
Have you seen Penn & Teller's stage show? Specifically the effect using one audience member and a large metal ring (of the Linking Ring style)?
The entire audience gets the "exposed" view and sees what happens, but it's the reaction of the one audience member to which the magic is happening that is where the magic happens: in the mind. His or her reactions happen in his/her mind. We get to enjoy it by proxy: witnessing his/her reaction each phase. =)

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results