Burning cards

Sep 28, 2012
Hi guys, first post here so apologies if this is the incorrect forum.

Im having problems burning cards on their backs to mark them for use in Carbon Paper from Art of Magic. Whenever I hold the lighter to the card (Im using Bicycles) the card doesnt turn a deep black colour as it does in the performance and if I hold the lighter there longer the card 'bubbles' which makes the effect unworkable.

Anyone have any tips to avoid this?

James Wise Magic

Elite Member
Dec 28, 2007
I never really had a problem with it. The one and only time I dont get a dark enough mark on the back of the card is when I dont leave it under the flame enough. I've never had it "bubble" so I'm not quite sure how to solve that.

Apr 26, 2011
the bubbles appear when you heat the card for too long at once (the air inside expands quickly causing the bubble). to stop the bubbles, wave the card over the flame repeatedly until you get the desired black spot.

hope this helps

Sep 28, 2012
the bubbles appear when you heat the card for too long at once (the air inside expands quickly causing the bubble). to stop the bubbles, wave the card over the flame repeatedly until you get the desired black spot.

hope this helps

Ty! This worked well. Also I was using an old deck of cards to practise with, when I used a newer deck the problem wasnt as bad.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results