Rare playing cards- beginner

Aug 31, 2012
Exeter, UK
Hi everyone,

I'm Artur and I am beginner. I fell in love with magic tricks and playing cards about 3 weeks ago. I learned that it's worth collecting V1 cards because they are the first versions. I found Dan and Dave cards and there are like V1, V2,V3 up to I think V6. All of them on ebay are very expensive and as a new card collector shall I have them all then or maybe stick with V1 versions? Sorry for my english.
Do you have any advice which card should I buy and how to look after them ?

Apr 29, 2012
As a beginner, you shouldn't be worried about what kind of cards your using. Just normal bicycles or tally hi cards, sold at theory11, will work just fine with you. But you should focus more on the tricks and effects you plan to perform. Mismag822 teaches a lot of cool beginner tricks, but remember to educate yourself with things besides the Internet. You should download what to read. It is a free download in theory11's magic tricks section. And one last thing, welcome to the art of magic.

Oct 14, 2012
Spokane, WA
Personally I am a collector, so I can see the value of owning those playing cards. The sad truth about the first few versions is that there is NOWHERE online (and believe me, I've looked) to purchase them for any less than about $150 per deck. I know of one website which sells the other, newer versions, but eBay is all I've seen in regards to V.1 and such. Sorry, man. :(

Jul 13, 2010
Just use standard bicycles. They are cheap and you don`t have to worry when practicing "destructive" techniques.
Invest your money in good magic books instead of custom cards. Some books are even cheaper than one of these decks.
These fancy cards don`t make you a better artist. Good learning material and practice does. It`s about you, not the cards.
Unfortunately kids tend to concentrate too much on their tools instead of effects. As a collectot it is ok.
I never understood and will never understand this obsession with playing cards as it should be all about the magic.
It is ok to own some custom cards, of course. The focus nowadays shifted towards new custom cards. Nearly every day a new deck comes out. Insane.
On top of that their use is limited because most of these are not constantly available and don`t offer a wide range of special cards (gaffed/marked etc).

Last edited by a moderator:
Aug 31, 2012
Exeter, UK
Well done ChrisWiens:) what was really good:) I like that:) I own you a beer:) Maybe you are right. I don't really like books prefer a videos tbh do you have any titles that could help me ?

Nov 27, 2009
Well done ChrisWiens:) what was really good:) I like that:) I own you a beer:) Maybe you are right. I don't really like books prefer a videos tbh do you have any titles that could help me ?

Ahh... the old books vs videos problem. It's a false dilemma, but we're not here to discuss logical fallacies, ON TO THE MAGIC! Why do you prefer videos? If it's because you have trouble learning from books due to something like dyslexia or English being a second language, thats fine, in fact, more power to you! If it's because you just don't like reading or have trouble following written instructions, well, like everything else learning from books practice. I learned most of what I perform on a regular basis from a books, most of them first published 20+ years ago. That being said, here's why I think that learning from books is absolutely necessary, although it's not the only way to learn. (BTW, I'm 21, and whenever possible I choose books.)

1. Books are cheaper than DVD's. If you look at a book and the volume of information contained therein, and compare it to a DVD and the amount of information there, books are always a better value. I just spend $100+ on 4 dvds from Ellusionist.com and I'm sure that it was worth it, but I also know that I'm getting around 40 effects and moves from 2 specific disciplines within magic. Compare that to dropping $70 on a single volume compilation of the Tarbell Course, which contains probably close to 500 or more (1000?) effects and moves from every area of magic. The book wins hands down. This comparison works almost every time.

2. There's something about learning from books that, for me at least, is more rewarding, and enhances my understanding of magic more than a DVD. Maybe this is because there is more information in a book. It could also be that figuring things out from the written instructions is more challenging, and therefore more rewarding once you've got it because you took the effort to decipher what the author was trying to convey.

3. You are forced to develop your own style when learning from a book. Since books don't show you how the author did the trick in the same way as a dvd, you are forced to develop your own presentation and some of your own misdirection because you can't copy the authors mannerisms, gestures and body language.

There are 3 reasons to learn from books that I think are incredibly good reasons. Now, you asked for some DVD titles. I will tell you that the DVD that Penguin is giving away for free is worth every penny. I couldn't finish it, not just because I already knew the material, but because the it was poorly produced. Actually, anything from Penguin is not going to be great, but there are titles worth buying. Oz Pearlman's DVD on card tricks is good, the sponge dvd is worth it, but far from the best on the market. Noblezada's coin DVD is eh. Red Mirror, produced by Dan and Dave, is great, but you're not supposed to perform anything from it.

If your want book recommendations, I can give you a good list that anyone here will agree with and add to. If you want advice on how to learn from books, I, along with many others, can give you some very practical advice on how to take printed words and pictures and turn them into a magic trick.

Dec 29, 2011
There is a difference between collecting cards and using them. Spending so much money on a deck particularly like the V1's just to open them and start practising beginner magic is ridiculous, unless you're into wasting hundreds of dollars. With that being said, purchasing them purely to collect is quite satisfying, and I have nothing against it. Now...

If you're going to go with videos, stay clear of single effect downloads, particularly as a beginner, totally avoid them. That sort of stuff is significantly less valuable than a book or DVD that contains hundreds of effect or techniques. Which is usually the case with beginner books more than advanced ones, which is advantageous in your case. To be honest I only know of books that would be best for a real beginner, so I can;t really advise you on DVDs to get, however looks for things that have a lot of stuff on them, and are easy. It is also worth your time to look for free magic, Jay Sankey puts out a free trick every week, which are usually pretty good, and there is an absolute plethora on youtube, a lot of it is total crap, but its not hard to find something suitable to begin with, and sometimes you can find something that can be used by the most seasoned performer.
Just please don't go and buy something like Regeneration, Rapture, a single colour change, or an expensive gimmick. Those things are designed for more advanced magicians.

Aug 31, 2012
Exeter, UK
Thank you for your messages :) and advises :)
Firstly English is my second language and I don't feel comfortable read the book and try find incomprehensible word in dictionary and in the some time try get the trick right. I know what all of you want to say and I know that there is greater knowledge in books than in the DVD'sBUT I feel better right now( in the future that may change ) watching DVD. Also I can pick/ choose a style of my performances

Nov 27, 2009
Thank you for your messages :) and advises :)
Firstly English is my second language and I don't feel comfortable read the book and try find incomprehensible word in dictionary and in the some time try get the trick right. I know what all of you want to say and I know that there is greater knowledge in books than in the DVD'sBUT I feel better right now( in the future that may change ) watching DVD. Also I can pick/ choose a style of my performances

Awesome! Keep learning magic! Books are great if you can understand them, but DVD's are better when you have trouble with the language the books are written in.

Dec 29, 2011
I'm sure you'll be able to find a magic book written in your language, if not, just stick to what I said about videos.

Apr 20, 2014
help please.

Hello . I am new on this forum and i need a help from you my friends. I have some poker card and leather case for them ,they are wery good ,but i dont know nothing about leather case and them. Can somebody help me. I am Alek and i am from Serbia!

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results