What would you do with real magic?

Dec 29, 2011
This may sound like a forum game, but bear with me. Say you could have the power of real magic, but only in certain areas, for example if you had to pick between: PK, telepathy, levitation, transformations, transpositions all that kind of stuff, reflected from the kind of magic we do see, what would you pick? And more importantly is it a reflection of the kind of magic you do actually perform?. Personally I would choose psychokinesis, just in my opinion, its the best superpower there is, and it would satisfy me to no end, however, I have never performed a PK effect. That may be just my purist approach, and it doesn't really fit into my performance style but why doesn't it?

I started with a juggling/circus related background in practise, and got started in all this when a friend showed me a simple flourish at a party, which quickly led to magic. My intention was never to be a performer, particularly not in magic, yet somehow, thats all I found I was doing with it. Does anyone get fulfilment purely from practising sleights to yourself in a mirror, or it is because we all know the method, and therefore cannot see the magic ourselves, meaning it has to be shared? I would give anything to have real psychokinesis, and I have the means to imitate it perfectly, but mostly put needs of spectators first in my magic, in front of my fantasies.

Is this the case with everyone? Do you do magic purely to entertain? Is it to satisfy a want just for something to practise, do you want to amaze people? Make them believe? Where does your passion come from?

If you could do real magic, would you perform with it? Or continue with the same old tricks?

Oct 9, 2012
I would levitate/fly and save a bunch on gas.

For performance I've only done a floating card sort of routine, but I don't use it much because I don't really like carrying gimmicks. So that's more my own personal fantasy. Everyone has probably dreamed of flying as a kid, but for me that dream has never really left, plus my dad worked on planes so aviation was always kind of close at hand as well. I haven't performed them, but I do own the Balducci and King Rising levitations (kinda scared to try and pull them off honestly). However I do think they fit my style, I should really try to fit them in...

Dec 18, 2007
Northampton, MA - USA
We've all pondered the idea of being a real wizard or super-hero or both, even as adults; it's natural to do so. What confounds the modern-day magician though is the fact that we were forced, originally under threat of religious persecution, to reveal to the world that what we did was all "trickery" -- there's a lot to be said about torture and being burnt at the stake vs. sharing how you accomplished various "miracles". . . I'd doubt many of us here would endure what our ancestors went through, just to preserve a basic method like the Thumb Tip.

The point is, what we do is a version to what was done 1,500 years ago by our predecessors. I don't mean they did Hip-Hop Rabbits as part of a religious service, but they did use the mechanical and psychological techniques we use today (though what we have is better understood and seriously evolved).

There's still real magick in the world however. I don't mean candle burning and casting spells but rather the use of ancient knowledge in modern times; dowsing a.k.a. Pendulum and Muscle Reading type demonstrations are an excellent example of this. While the entertainment side of such has only been around for a bit over a century the phenomena associated with it has been known about since Old Testament times . . . regardless your views toward the bible, you still have to realize its antiquity as a published work and influence over the past 3,500 years or better (including Old Testament time lines). But we also have "tricks" like the Cups & Balls, Indian Rope Trick, Rice Bowls, etc. that have been around for thousands of years according to some accounts; it's simply how we present such things that transforms them from being "tricks" into being "real" in the mind of others.

I'm not trying to rain on the parade here, but I think it important that we understand what "real" magic was and still is, when we allow it.

Justin.Morris

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2007
Canada
www.morrismagic.ca
I think a bigger part of it is not fear but rather the enlightenment if society. However I think that may overshoot the intensions of the op.

For me if I could really do something superheroesque, I would want to fly, teleport, psychokinesis, or create/manipulate fire. :)

Jul 8, 2011
Feed the hungry, heal the sick, stop global warming, save endangered species, that sort of thing.

Jun 17, 2012
Producing and vanishing stuff. that's what i love about coin magic and card manipulation and that's the thing i prefer to perform the most

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
I have always said that if I could get a super power it would be unlimited, flawless teleportation. I'm a big fan of traveling and it would remove quite a lot of expense from my life.

I don't do any teleport effects, really. They don't interest me.

Jul 8, 2012
Being able to do true transformations would be super awesome. I don't know why, it just captures my imagination. those are the kind of effects I like to do. For some reason, though, I think doing transformations through sleight-of-hand is, when done well, almost as good as doing true transformations. I think this is because I've worked hard to be able to do some of these changes, but if I had this inborn power, would there even be any skill involved? would i feel a sense of accomplishment?

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results