Interesting audio recording effect idea.

Sep 11, 2011
I been messing around with the idea to record a audio clip between yourself and a spectator during the performance of a card trick. If you have heard of back masking this will be a familiar idea. Imagine someone chose a card and then revealed the card in a audio clip when played in reverse. It's been fun playing with this idea I was curious if anyone could imagine this and how you would perform this trick. The cool thing is they hear you record whatever it is you say and nothing seems suspicious or out of place just you talking about the demonstration of capturing thought through back masking. Let me know your thoughts and ideas on the reality of the effect and how it could be better with the right patter and imagery. Thanks

Dec 18, 2007
Northampton, MA - USA
Similar effects have been around for a few decades, most notably starting with the Cassette Tape type recording system (though dated, they still sell for a small fortune) and I do believe there is at least one that's at least being performed, using a disc. I'm not wise as to what method is being used electronically but I'm rather confident it's an contemporary variation to how we were doing it 30 years ago.

If you look around you'll find Recorded Prediction routines. . . I think one of the earlier versions was actually put out by Shaxon

Sep 11, 2011
Thanks for the info. The idea is they hear there card in the midst of reversed talking thAt was done live right there in front of the spectator. So this isn't a recorded prediction this is more of a phenomenon.. There card is the only thing they can comprehend when listening to the recording that took place live.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 11, 2011
I just did my first ever performance and it went fantastic! It really is a brain teaser. Thank you for looking out. This will be on the wire soon! Maybe....

Sep 11, 2011
I know I know.. "Rules of magic" but I have strong interest in sharing new ideas. I really can't imagine myself teaching another how to perform or include subtleties with an idea because I think that the magician should adapt his own style and performance to an effect and what a great way to inspire that by selling or if not giving away a seed that grows into your own. I would enjoy it very much if other magicians used some of my secrets and put there own spin without even being told what to do but only given the secret and where they would take it. I know my ideas are ready to spread when I put plenty of thought and practice by going over the routine over n over by myself, then take it out and use it. Today was my first day out with this particular trick and it went amazing I now performed it 5 times and they all went fantastic so it inspires me more to want to share this pronto! Get it out there and let it fly. I don't want to be known as a go by the rules kinda magician I'm an individual who takes pride in my actions. Plus I said maybe because I'm not to inclined on marketing I just want other magicians to spread illusions of all sorts and not care so much about money or standard views I've always been more infatuated with making an idea and lnowing it works, then watch them come to life and use it then to entertain people plus much much more. If the idea works who cares if I just started performing it? I know it's killer and want to share it, what others do with it is entirely up to them. Anyway what do you think about the trick? Is it something you would see yourself dabbling with? Thanks

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
I'm going to break this up so my response is more clear.

I know I know.. "Rules of magic" but I have strong interest in sharing new ideas. I really can't imagine myself teaching another how to perform or include subtleties with an idea because I think that the magician should adapt his own style and performance to an effect and what a great way to inspire that by selling or if not giving away a seed that grows into your own.

This isn't even about subtleties yet. This is about actually fully developing something before selling it.

I would enjoy it very much if other magicians used some of my secrets and put there own spin without even being told what to do but only given the secret and where they would take it.

If someone is buying something from you, they deserve the respect of getting a finished product. Not something that's not been properly real-world tested. Would you even consider buying a car that someone knocked together in their garage and took for one three minute drive? Who knows what problems could arise when it's used regularly?

I know my ideas are ready to spread when I put plenty of thought and practice by going over the routine over n over by myself, then take it out and use it. Today was my first day out with this particular trick and it went amazing I now performed it 5 times and they all went fantastic so it inspires me more to want to share this pronto! Get it out there and let it fly.

Justin Miller worked on Silver Dream for about ten years before it was ready to release. Lee Asher worked on Thunderbird for a year before he thought it was ready to be performed, let alone released. Teller worked on the 'Red Ball and Thread' trick for how many years before he even showed it to another person?

Your idea is just that. An idea. It's not a product yet.

I don't want to be known as a go by the rules kinda magician I'm an individual who takes pride in my actions.

No worries there. You'll be known as the guy that tries to sell half tested ideas instead of actual tricks or products.

Plus I said maybe because I'm not to inclined on marketing I just want other magicians to spread illusions of all sorts and not care so much about money or standard views I've always been more infatuated with making an idea and lnowing it works, then watch them come to life and use it then to entertain people plus much much more. If the idea works who cares if I just started performing it?

Because if you haven't performed it at least a hundred times, you have little to no idea what can possibly go wrong with it. You have no concept of outs. Probably little to no idea of a real presentation of it. You have no idea of the limitations or possibilities. Basically, you know next to nothing about the idea other than it exists and it can work.

I know it's killer and want to share it, what others do with it is entirely up to them. Anyway what do you think about the trick? Is it something you would see yourself dabbling with? Thanks

How do you know it's killer? You've used it 5 times. Statistically that's not even a blip yet.

I do think it's quite an interesting idea and I could see myself developing things with it. Using it for a card trick is, in my mind, one of the least powerful things that could be done with it, though. Cards are trivial. Why not do something powerful? Something meaningful? You've got a great idea. Don't sell it short.

Sep 11, 2011
Thankyou Christopher for taking the time and giving me an opinion i needed to hear. It seems i have different view and rules for magic then most but its ok. Maybe one day ill have a lot of knowledge pertaining to "magic" and will be able to sell my ideas. I just dont like the idea of everything being so analyzed.. Why cant a magician buy a tool and just have the common smarts to perform with it. Thats me, i can find something so simple and turn it into a miracle without being taught or over analyzing. Im just different i guess but i do have " killer ideas" and i know this because ive been a street magician for over 10 yyears and have a lot of experience with tricks and people. As what you said thats fine it is what it is. I wish i was born around houdinis time...this truly isnt my time.

Dec 18, 2007
Northampton, MA - USA
Thankyou Christopher for taking the time and giving me an opinion i needed to hear. It seems i have different view and rules for magic then most but its ok. Maybe one day ill have a lot of knowledge pertaining to "magic" and will be able to sell my ideas. I just dont like the idea of everything being so analyzed.. Why cant a magician buy a tool and just have the common smarts to perform with it. Thats me, i can find something so simple and turn it into a miracle without being taught or over analyzing. Im just different i guess but i do have " killer ideas" and i know this because ive been a street magician for over 10 yyears and have a lot of experience with tricks and people. As what you said thats fine it is what it is. I wish i was born around houdinis time...this truly isnt my time.

I think we spoke on a lot of this yesterday in our phone conversation and Christopher has hit several nails firmly on the head. What you have is the foundation to what could be turned into a great piece for the market I mentioned to you and I would love to help you pull the material together so that it is a practical and viable product. . . I have done this a few times so I'm pretty certain I can accomplish this BUT ONLY IF you slow down, take off the day-dream lenses and focus a bit; you're trying to do too many things too fast and for the wrong reasons.

Like so many "newbies" you want to put your name out there but if you do this by putting garbage on the market your name brand will be tarnished and sales will not happen as you're envisioning. . . and BTW. . . I've helped build several award winning bits of magic and that doesn't mean you'll sell hundreds or thousands of them and get rich beyond your wildest dreams. . . or even famous. There is a reason why Jim Stinemeyer, one of the industry's better known effect developers, keeps his day job; there's simply not that much money in it, creation being more a part of personal penchant and passion. While some limited gains can be seen for one's work, it's rarely a livable income unless you have numerous items serving as generators. This rule holds true when it comes to name recognition and "branding" yourself.

I've told you the same thing I've told dozens if not hundreds of others; hold you ideas close to the vest for now so you can develop them and refine them. Keep them a part of your own repertoire for the next 5+ years and generate interest by performing them. In time you will have established both, value in the product as well as name recognition when it comes to performance of "neat and unique stuff". This is the proven route to success in all aspects of business in which creativity is the key (watch a few episodes of Modern-Day Edisons and see the process that goes into developing a product concept and finally getting it to market. Pay attention to the time frame that goes into things and why)

PLEASE, re-read what Christopher said above and think about what I've said to you here and on the phone. Channel your inner snail. . .

Sep 11, 2011
Wow thanks guys! This is the stuff I need to here and it would be nice to have other magicians to speak too. I'm guilty as charged, Craig we need to talk more! I'm really in need of common knowledge to help me live my dreams. I do have a lot of ideas that need to be refined, that's for sure.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
I would like to re-enforce that I'm not opposed to trading ideas in their inception, only to the selling of those ideas. I have a couple friends here that I frequently give ideas to because it's stuff I'll never use but would work for them. I think a couple people tossing ideas back and forth can rapidly develop really interesting stuff.

However, if you're going to sell an idea, it should be a full product.

I look forward to seeing what you end up doing with this. Might even be a customer.

Sep 11, 2011
Sharing ideas and working with others does exactly that, the advancement of illusion would blossom if more knowledge was open. Thanks again for the advice and not attacking me but inspired me. This is a fun idea and I've performed it many times in the last 2 days and keeping in mind all of what you said so I can build this idea to its maximum potential. I've always seen myself more of a conjuror than a performer because i create more ideas than i perform but in the eyes of a spectator I'm a magician. Time to get to work, you got me thinking...

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results