Advice for my first paid show/party

Nov 22, 2012
i'm 15 and while doing magic at school for some kids one of them asked me to do magic tricks at their birthday party. This is my first paid show and i'm really nervous i was hoping to get some advice and maybe suggestions for good tricks to do at parties. He also told me to give him a price in the next couple of days whats a good price to charge?

Jan 22, 2012
First of all if he is a friend you should lower your price. Also what type of magic are you doing? Are you going to be doing walk around type magic or a show where everyone is gathered around you. Also do not do any tricks you're not confident with, only do the type of tricks that you can do no problem. I'm fourteen and I price my shows $40 for a 30 minute show.

Oct 23, 2010
Colorado Springs
Keep it basic. What I mean is pick your best tricks and really focus on entertaining with each effect. You could cram 20 tricks in a 30 minute show, but then the effects are not as strong. Build up each effect with entertainment, audience participation, and let the time fly by. You want them to be wanting more at the end. But definitely have a game plan ahead of time and practice! Look at this event as a job interview for more gigs down the road!

Nov 22, 2012
I've been doing magic for just about two years now although I've only been preforming for people for about a year.

Nov 22, 2012
thanks for the advice i'll keep it in mind and i will be doing a show then a little bit of walk around magic after wards to meet people and let them have a little more interaction with the tricks

Nov 18, 2012
Depending on how long it lasts, you will want different kinds of tricks. But generally i would say one per 5-10 minutes. You want to build each up, get them involved, have some effects where it looks like they're doing the magic.
Start with a pretty good one, have your ok ones throughout the middle, and end with your best. and since he's your friend, I would say around $50 an hour. And prepare more street magic type stuff, not table work, since the former is more interactive, usually simpler, and gets bigger reactions.
Hope that helped.
-MAD.

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
There is a difference between doing tricks at a party and putting on a full blown birthday party show.

How many people are going to be there?
What is the age range?
Have you done any shows before or mainly just performed some tricks at school?
What are your friend's expectations? Is he wanting a parlor style show in his living room or basement for friends and family or is it strolling throughout the venue?

The more information you can provide the more some of us experienced guys can help you out.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results