Optical Illusions

Nov 11, 2009
Hey guys!! My name is Josh! I love illusion. I love magic and I love messing with peoples brains! The impossible intrigues the crap out of me!!!

I would like to start a discussion about optical illusions in general.

What are your favorite optical illusion and how can we put even more illusion into magic?

Feb 4, 2008
I really Really LOVE Lee Asher's Losing Control! It is a card sleight that is based almost entirely on an optical illusion.

Now that probably isn't what you were hoping to illicit. Sounds like you are more into stage illusions. You should really try to dig up anything by Guy Jarrett.

Dec 18, 2007
Northampton, MA - USA
Yea. . . you're not being clear. When someone stresses "Optical Illusions" I think of clever artwork such as the box that's not a box or shapes that look grossly different and yet, they're actually the same, etc.

If you are talking about grand illusion however, such as the Sawing, Stage Levitations, etc. that's another critter altogether and it sounds that you're not well versed in said arena, as of yet.

Nov 11, 2009
That is exactly what I was talkin about eostresh.

I am talking about illusions and impossible objects found in artwork by artists such as MC Escher and others. Im not really talking about stage illusions.

Apr 6, 2011
Lansing, MI
^^ I love the uh.. ^^ Impossible Triangle among many other impossible figures. I think general optical illusions are definitely very cool, but they work by fooling the mind. I much more enjoy impossible figures, which fool physics. Doesn't beat physics mind you, but certainly jokes with it.

MC Esher has a lot of work involving my dear Mr. Triangle!

Nov 11, 2009
The impossible triangle is actually my favorite too!! I am crazy about impossible figures! I also love anamorphosis. It is so cool how you can make one thing look like a complete mess until you look at a certain angle or through a certain tool!!! I love it!

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
You might appreciate this:

The Neuroscience of Illusion

At the top of the slideshow is a link to the article. Also, if you clink on the author links there are a lot more interesting articles, including one about magic.

Bob Neale used this illusion in his See it Slant effect in the February 2011 Genii:

Leaning Tower of Pisa

There are lots more illusions on that website.

Enjoy.

Nov 11, 2009
RealityOne I have seen that illusion of the year site before and I plan to submit an original illusion to the contest this next year. Thank you for sharing that article I will definently be reading that!

AsherF that sort of illusion is very cool! I am a big fan of the person in the picture :) Its interesting how our eyes can retain the information they percieve for a short period of time.

I'd like to develope a magic trick based on the concepts of optical illusions. I was thinking about this one in particular http://www.core.org.cn/NR/rdonlyres...4DFB-AE5F-8D1BD65B615D/0/chp_checkerboard.jpg
This is one of my all time favorites. Square A and B are the exact same shade. Does anyone have any ideas for taking this concept and turning it into a magic trick?

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results