Lance Burton Is Cheesy

Sep 1, 2007
Belgrade, Serbia
I was just talking to one of my girl friends and she went to see Lance Burton's show and she said:
"he was good but so so cheesy, you could just tell that he does the same things over and over in his shows so I didn't like that part of it but his tricks were great. like it just seemed routine and set up like he was following a script the whole time and was faking it.. does that make sense?"
So there you go, a little bit of layman view for you guys ;)

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
Well it does if you're performing night after night in Las Vegas. She would probably hate to see a comedian tour, because they do the exact same thing. Not to mention bands that tour, and so fourth and so on.

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
I saw David Copperfield back in 1987. He was amazing. You could tell he enjoyed every minute of being on stage. Saw him two years ago and it seemed like he was just going through the motions (not just my observation but that of two lay spectators with me). Saw Kailin and Jinger three years ago and you can just sense the chemistry between the two of them and sense that they were having fun being on stage and even laughing at themselves. Saw lectures by Matthieu Bich and Woody Aragon - you could see how much fun they were having performing.

Dec 18, 2007
Northampton, MA - USA
When things become too "routine" no matter the vocation, it breaks you down. I've seen and experienced it far too many times; waking up and wondering "what's the use?"

Every once in a while however, I happen onto that student or idea that really gets me jazzed. Those are the moments I cherish but similarly, I dread. . . they are fleeting and rare, always bringing me back to the mundane -- the ritual we have in our lives called "routine."

The irony is that learning a routine in a way that makes it second nature and thus, "Natural" is requisite to our trade and what has allowed it to be more than tricks for a very, very long time. The particular lady's critique was a bit immature if you ask me, in that an award winning show usually is the same thing day in and day out. . . ask any Broadway producer. That's just what show biz is about and why so many legendary acts did the same schtick for decades.

Very few people know who Marvin Roy is but most know who "Mr. Electric" was. . . same person but in the latter instance we associated the man with the act. We see this time and again with nearly every major talent in the whole of show biz; Bette Midler will always be seen as the singing comedian with a 1940s style, Sofie Tucker sarcasm and of course, a big fish tail . . . When we hear the name "Blackstone" we will almost instantly visualize 3 primary effects; the bird cage, the light bulb & the buzz saw. . . the reason being that they were constant within the show. . . in Harry's case, we're talking about nearly a full century of family association with said effects.

There's a plethora of examples and from what I've seen, it's usually a good thing to have such "signatures" that folks will attach to you and no one other.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
I think the criticism isn't that he's doing the same thing over and over, it's that she could tell he was doing the same thing over and over. As in, no passion in the performance so even he looks bored. I know I get bored when I see any performer who doesn't seem to be thrilled about doing the performance. Throw into that the idea of one-liners and old jokes that he's said a thousand times and you get cheesy performances.

Sep 1, 2007
Belgrade, Serbia
I think the criticism isn't that he's doing the same thing over and over, it's that she could tell he was doing the same thing over and over. As in, no passion in the performance so even he looks bored. I know I get bored when I see any performer who doesn't seem to be thrilled about doing the performance. Throw into that the idea of one-liners and old jokes that he's said a thousand times and you get cheesy performances.
Exactly. That's the point. She didn't see his show before, that's the only show she saw, so it's not about the tricks, it's about his presentation of them, and overall energy of the show with cheesy lines. The lesion here could be learned, that we all should try to make our every performance fresh just like we're doing it the first time. Even if we are using a script, our spectators should never realize it, it should all come out natural like it was in the spur of the moment.

Mar 10, 2011
I can attest to the above comment. A colleague and I went to HHN (Halloween Horror Nights, Universal Florida) and saw Brian Brushwood's show. Since we had passes for the season, we ended up seeing his show a couple times. Every time we saw his show, it felt energetic and novel (even to Brian). The twist was that the show was the exact same every time, down to his "commentary". Every laugh was measured and every gasp completely astonishing. You can tell he loves his job.

Dec 18, 2007
Northampton, MA - USA
I can attest to the above comment. A colleague and I went to HHN (Halloween Horror Nights, Universal Florida) and saw Brian Brushwood's show. Since we had passes for the season, we ended up seeing his show a couple times. Every time we saw his show, it felt energetic and novel (even to Brian). The twist was that the show was the exact same every time, down to his "commentary". Every laugh was measured and every gasp completely astonishing. You can tell he loves his job.

Welcome to show biz!

This is the stuff that separates the real pros from people that simply get paid to do tricks. This is where producers find novelty, professionalism, as well as the chops that a true "artist" of most any craft, requires.

Watch the average performer do the Broom Suspension and then watch the great Richiardi and how he PRESENTS a mystery and intrigue around that same illusion, milking it for ever possible reaction he can get. His "old school" handling of this one effect has become lost, even though you might see hints of it in this or that performer's handling. But look at how few get all the audience reactions the Master gets. . . reactions that he manipulates and knows he'll get because he's studied the effect as well as his competition and how they do it.

On stage, everything must be deliberate . . . there's room for some innocent by-play with audience members, but amazingly little; sometimes even the hecklers are in on the act.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results