Reasons for collecting?

Hi there, my name is Joe and I'm new to the forums. I used to be really into magic tricks, but now I'm more into cardistry and collecting.

The appeal of collecting for me, is wanting more. I strive to get the rarest and most valuable decks out there, and whilst I admire the work that goes into designing and making the cards, I know I will end up selling the cards.

I fund this hobby with my job at a local PC repair shop and whilst I don't make much, the majority of my money goes into my deck collecting.

My current (valuable) decks:
-Dan and Dave S&M V4
-Dan and Dave S&M V5
-JAQK Cellars V1
-White Monarchs
-LTD
-Gold Arcane
-White Lion Series B

I also have other assorted decks that I use for playing, such as the Rebels and my recent favourites the Artisans.

So, what about you guys, what is in your collection and what is the appeal of it for you?

Thanks for reading, I look forward to the responses.

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
I am not a deck collector but do remember in my early child hood days collecting baseball and football cards and actually going to conventions at hotels where people bought and sold playing cards. I still have all of my cards from the 80's.

At one point I collected Desert Storm trading cards and Garbage Pail Kids cards. Now I am really showing my age...ha ha.

Mar 24, 2012
I own all the cards that theory11 has ever put out
All of dan and daves smoke and mirror set (the box set also which was an arm and a leg lol)
Two jerry nugget decks :)
LTD deck

You know, I don't know why I started collecting but I feel like it has to do with the need to actually be one of many to own the cards. I like having a variety and looking at cards as a mass. Its interesting to see so many styles of cards all together :)

The whole S&M collection is what I strive to have, but I don't have the money at the moment. The longer I wait, the more expensive they will be. You should hang on to those, as well as your Jerry's Nuggets.
I just brought a brick of the Mystery Deck from Dan and Dave, and who knows, I might get lucky with some Nuggets or some more S&Ms!

Oct 23, 2010
Colorado Springs
I'm with you Rick. I used to hit those "Card Shows" all the time as a kid. They were a blast. Still have a bunch of those cards.

My collection is Bar items. lots of Glasses, shaker tins, coasters, wall decor....all from all around the world places I have been. I would love to build the bar in my house with a Magic Castle feel. I could live in the Magic Castle.

Oct 23, 2010
Colorado Springs
I'm with you Rick. I used to hit those "Card Shows" all the time as a kid. They were a blast. Still have a bunch of those cards.

My collection is Bar items. lots of Glasses, shaker tins, coasters, wall decor....all from all around the world places I have been. I would love to build the bar in my house with a Magic Castle feel. I could live in the Magic Castle.

Mar 24, 2012
The whole S&M collection is what I strive to have, but I don't have the money at the moment. The longer I wait, the more expensive they will be. You should hang on to those, as well as your Jerry's Nuggets.
I just brought a brick of the Mystery Deck from Dan and Dave, and who knows, I might get lucky with some Nuggets or some more S&Ms!

I got the S&Ms as they came out so they weren't too expensive and I got a brick of those too :) haha im excited

yyyyyyy

Elite Member
Apr 7, 2012
Collecting can be enjoyable on many levels, regardless of the collected subject. The reasons that people enjoy collecting playing cards are similar, if the not the same, to the reasons for collecting just about anything else. If your thoughts and actions can be greatly influenced by your passions and some people feel very strongly about their hobbies and such. However, passion isn't something that you can hold. Things like playing cards or other magic memorabilia can be a way to physically hold a bit of your passion. People collect cars but they almost never drive every car in their collection. It's the desire to own a piece of what they love, a physical manifestation of something that they have committed their energy to.
Obviously, this is an extremely dramatic example for why someone would want to collect cards or anything for that matter. It could be for bragging rights, self esteem, customization or monetary gain. Nobody knew that White Centurions were going to go for $300 a deck on Ebay but some people felt that they were worth more than advertised.

Dec 29, 2011
I'd like to think I'm a deck collector, but I dont have many, the ones worth noting are 2 first edition Sentinels, two sealed White Monarchs, and one each of Red and Blue Wynns, it is quite addictive.

formula

Elite Member
Jan 8, 2010
I think of myself more a connoisseur than a collector. I started buying cards for a personal project, but I only really wanted 1 card from each deck to display. Because of that I'm not bothered about keeping them sealed and then I started to enjoy learning about different prints, finishes, stocks etc and now I really enjoy trying different cards just like a wine connoisseur enjoys tasting different wines.

Sep 1, 2007
Belgrade, Serbia
I think of myself more a connoisseur than a collector. I started buying cards for a personal project, but I only really wanted 1 card from each deck to display. Because of that I'm not bothered about keeping them sealed and then I started to enjoy learning about different prints, finishes, stocks etc and now I really enjoy trying different cards just like a wine connoisseur enjoys tasting different wines.

I had a similar idea, to frame Ace of Spades, Jokers and back design of each deck. You can pretty much just buy 2 decks, so you can open one, and have the other one sealed.

formula

Elite Member
Jan 8, 2010
This was my idea Toby. After 2 years and approximately £2,000 later it's almost finished.

Attachments

• table.jpg
    table.jpg
    141.5 KB · Views: 93
Sep 1, 2007
Belgrade, Serbia
This was my idea Toby. After 2 years and approximately £2,000 later it's almost finished.

Oh wow, very cool. I would just put the face and back designs of the same cards next to each other, so it would be easier to know which face belongs to which back.
What are those blue stickers in the middle of every card?

formula

Elite Member
Jan 8, 2010
What are those blue stickers in the middle of every card?
Blutack, sticking the cards to the under side of the glass. It's a temporary fix until I buy a table that has two sheets of glass to sandwich the cards between.

DeckCollector, I bought a bunch of mystery decks from DnD as well. The idea of lucky dip is exciting and fun. I asked if bog standard cards are included, like bikes and tallys. The reply I got was that mystery decks are made up of a pool of 100 different decks that only Dan and Dave know.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results