Counterfeit Sentinels? (Large Photo)

Jan 9, 2013
I bought this pack of Sentinels from a Finnish magic store. Back at home I noticed that the shade of the box is different from my Theory11 -bought decks, and with closer inspection I discovered differences in the texts and printings as well. The silver foil is applied oddly, and the raised parts are not as deep.

On the right an authentic deck. The side pictures have the authentic one on top.

sentinelsp.jpg

The feel of the cards is also not the same. What do you say?

Feb 4, 2008
You should be able to tell by feel. Sentinels are given a Q1 and run off the web press. Plus the T-11 finish is proprietary. With all that the Sentinels are one of the best made cards USPCC produces. They also have rather smooth edge work. So if your other cards "feel" like the quality of a Bike 808 or worse then it is a good bet you got a counterfeit card. If the feel the same or at least very very close then it may just be the difference between one run and the other.

Jan 9, 2013
The pack I suspect being a fake required little to no breaking in, being fairly pliable from the start, in stark contrast to my older Sentinels that were quite stiff. I guess it's a possibility this is an older run, since the box doesn't advertise the 909 finish. The shading under the big "Sentinels" is all different too.

Apr 6, 2011
Lansing, MI
I believe they are both sentinels, from different runs. I have some sentinels still from release day as well as some that I got only a few months ago, they feel noticeably different and there are minor differences on the box. (I liked the first run better)

Nov 9, 2012
England, UK
I've just checked my two decks and they both look like the one on the left and they feel like theory11 decks too. Are mine the fakes? Also just so you know they did make a sentinels v1 and v2 which could mean you have a v1 and v2, but the v1 didn't have embossing

Feb 4, 2008
The pack I suspect being a fake required little to no breaking in, being fairly pliable from the start, in stark contrast to my older Sentinels that were quite stiff. I guess it's a possibility this is an older run, since the box doesn't advertise the 909 finish. The shading under the big "Sentinels" is all different too.
The older runs are the ones I have so unless the newer runs are soft and floppy then I suspect they are fake. I had heard that USPCC was cracking down on advertising the various finishes like the 909. T-11 still uses that finish but it might not appear on the box. To qualify that....that was scuttlebutt from over a year ago so I won't stake my rep on that info.

May 18, 2008
Without feeling them, it'd be hard to tell. They could be from a different run, or the foil being applied like that could just be some deviation/room for error in the plant.

Oct 14, 2012
I'm pretty sure those are real Sentinels. I received a deck of Sentinels from a friend for Christmas that he ordered directly from Theory11, and the box looks identical to the "counterfeit" one you have on the left. Lighter matte finish paper, and text that matches the bottom deck. It's probably just a new batch of decks where Theory11 tweaked the design a bit.

I'd want Bayme to enter in his opinion on this one before we go writing this off as being a printing update. There are slight differences in the font and text on the two decks. If you were going to sell a knock off, it's the little things like that you'd change.

I'm on the fence on this one.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results