Magic of the mind

Hello t11,

Lately I have become really interested in hypnosis, suggestion, reading people and this kind of stuff. I really think that I'd like to study this subject more deeper.
Have any of you knowledge of some good sources where to start learning the ways of the mind?

Thank you.

Sep 1, 2007
Belgrade, Serbia
Hello t11,

Lately I have become really interested in hypnosis, suggestion, reading people and this kind of stuff. I really think that I'd like to study this subject more deeper.
Have any of you knowledge of some good sources where to start learning the ways of the mind?

Thank you.
Well, is there anything specific you would like to start with? Because what you mentioned can be learned from 100 different sources.
For Hypnosis start with "Trilby Connection" by Headhacking, but after you master that, I suggest to move on to more advanced techniques.
For reading people, study body language books. "Definite book of body language" by Allan and Barbara Pease is a great book and perfect place to start.
As far as suggestion and reading people goes in more of a show style, look into Derren Brown, Luke Jermay, Jerome Finley, Paul Brooks, etc. Plus you can adapt any mentalism routine into a suggestion/reading body language style presentation.

May 15, 2010
I have a few suggestions (books) that should help you in your quest to "learn the ways of the mind".

Strong Magic-Darwin Ortiz (great reviews, no tricks here)
Sleights of the Mind (basically neuroscience + professional magicians working together to talk about the brain).

For reading people:
What Every Body is Saying - Joe Navarro

For suggestion I'd look into something that has to do with conmen (maybe something from this list).

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 1, 2007
Belgrade, Serbia
I have a few suggestions (books) that should help you in your quest to "learn the ways of the mind".

Strong Magic-Darwin Ortiz (great reviews, no tricks here)
Sleights of the Mind (basically neuroscience + professional magicians working together to talk about the brain).

For reading people:
What Every Body is Saying - Joe Navarro

For suggestion I'd look into something that has to do with conmen (maybe something from this list).

Don't go for Strong Magic, it's a book about how to present magic better, which I feel is not what the OP is going for. Also Sleights of Mind is a book about how our brain works and why are we fooled by magic, again not something that OP is looking for.

However I do second "What Every Body is Saying", after you read "Definite Book of Body Language".

Aug 22, 2012
Yeah that guy really pisses me off!.. He had no respect for magic what so ever and cheapens the art with every video he makes.

Kinda ruins the evening when im doing a walkaround gig and someone knows how to do a trick because of a youtube video!

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
Yeah that guy really pisses me off!.. He had no respect for magic what so ever and cheapens the art with every video he makes.

Kinda ruins the evening when im doing a walkaround gig and someone knows how to do a trick because of a youtube video!

Is this in the wrong thread? 'Cause ... it doesn't make any sense.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results