Misdirection help

Jan 28, 2013
I am a fairly new at magic, I have an acceptable amount of tricks in my repertoire for the casual audiences I normally preform to, but I was wondering if anyone knew any good resources specifically on misdirection, because I feel I lack in that area. I know it comes with practice, but there must be some sources that address it specifically.
Thanks ^.^

May 10, 2012
Hey, I might be able to give you some tips.
I saw the other thread and found it wasn't very much on the lines of Helping someone with their own misdirection so I'll post here.

I work at the Magic Castle and when I was in your shoes I was fascinated with how to properly misdirect people. I asked around and learned so much in that time period.
One of the best magicians on misdirection was Tommy Wonder. He said that the magician doesn't misdirect. They DIRECT.
Think of it this way. My grandparents (bless their souls) would travel to different countries and and when they were out and about and bored they'd point and look up at the sky when there was nothing there. They'd murmur about something they "See" and eventually there would be a whole crowd around them who saw they saw something fascinating and were looking to see what my grandparents saw. It's direction.

If the magician looks, the audience looks. The magician needs to look where they're audience SHOULD be looking.
Another great tip I got was put your weight on the right foot.

EX: I'm doing a simple coin vanish. A retention vanish. I place the coin in my hand and it's gone. If I'm "PLACING" the coin in my left hand I should lean on my left foot and look at my hand. The point of leaning is so that your whole body is watching where the coin goes and not just your eyes.

Hope this helped.

–Olie

Sep 1, 2007
I would also add that there are eight words you should learn that are some of the absolute best I've ever heard when it comes to controlling the audience. "Come over here, you'll get a better view."

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results