sleight of hand??

ifreuds

Elite Member
Jun 30, 2012
Thailand
Hey guys,

so I just wanna start learning some sleight of hand moves
however, i don't have any basic for the sleight.
So i just wanna ask you guys where should I start, which move should I learn First
and where can I learn them.

Thank you so much.
Michael.

Feb 10, 2013
Utah
www.youtube.com
The three strongest things to learn in magic are
1-Double Lift {I recommend the strike double lift}
2-The Pass{I recommend the classic/invisible over the herman}
3-False Shuffles/Forces
Everything else is usually for specific tricks (Ex. Slugs;Marlo Tilt; Emsley Count;stacks;ect...)

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
You want a good foundation. I always recommend people start with The Royal Road to Card Magic. It's inexpensive and covers a decently wide range of sleights and tricks. If you can learn that material well, then move on to Card College. Or a number of other books. Basically, RRTCM won't cost so much as to be a big deal if you don't happen to stick with magic. Which, most people don't.

Dec 29, 2011
The three strongest things to learn in magic are
(Ex. Slugs;Marlo Tilt; Emsley Count;stacks;ect...)

I'm not sure what you mean by slugs, but your other examples are by no means used for specific tricks. Stacks have nothing to do with sleight of hand anyway.

Jan 7, 2013
It's difficult to say wich move you should learn because it depends on the kind of effect you want to do and on the ones you'll be more comfortable with. I'd recommend you to learn :
- The double lift.
- A control. I think the overhand shuffle control is the best to begin, because it is simple, it will develop your sensations with cards and you can also use it as a false shuffle.
- A force. You can try the riffle force or hindu force, they probably are the easiest ways to do it.
- A pass. The turnover pass is probably the easiest to learn at first.
- Palming. I find palming from the bottom easier to do than from the top, because it is more deceving and the sleight requires less skill. Plus it will force you to think about how you want to misguide their attention.
- A color change. I'd personnaly recommend the Cardini change because it will push you to work on your angles (which are not as difficult with Cardini change as it appears at first). Plus, I love this move because you can use it in many ways and many situations to control a card, have it disappeared, turned over etc.

Aug 25, 2012
if you have a half price books around you there is royal road to card magic there for 4-5 bucks it's a great book for beginners i'm not a beginner but i'm still reading it and learning basic false shuffles, force and color changes. It's a great investment and I would recommend it for any beginner.

Oct 5, 2012
Royal Road is excellent and definitely worth it.

In terms of the essential move list, for ME:

Shuffle Controls (this can escalate to full deck false shuffles if you use setups, or can just keep the top card on top)

A False Cut

A force

A double lift

Two moves that are slightly more difficult but also fairly universal are the Top Change and a Palm. I found the pass VERY difficult at first, but it is without question a super utility move. Color Changes are nice and (for the most part) not that difficult. With those basics, you start to get a sense of how to handle the pack, the cards, individual cards, double cards, spectator attention, and misdirection. From there, it is about adding techniques, refining your skills, and thinking about how to create an impossible situation for your audience.

A book that I wish I had found earlier in my learning process was Strong Magic by Darwin Ortiz. Both that book and Designing Miracles (also Ortiz) provide a really strong background on the way to think about creating and presenting magical effects.

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
You want a good foundation. I always recommend people start with The Royal Road to Card Magic. It's inexpensive and covers a decently wide range of sleights and tricks. If you can learn that material well, then move on to Card College. Or a number of other books. Basically, RRTCM won't cost so much as to be a big deal if you don't happen to stick with magic. Which, most people don't.

What he said. Don't just learn "moves." Learn how to use those moves. Royal Road will teach you the moves and then effects where you use them. Card College is better, but if you are just starting out and don't want to make that investment, get Royal Road a spend at least three months mastering the material.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results