Anti-Social Spectators

Aug 25, 2012
Yesterday I was in a clothing store waiting for my mom and sister to finish up, I was in the mens department when I offered to show two workers some magic (A stand up triumph found in oz pearlmans dvd) A simple yet fantastic routine. Both of the workers were talking and seemed very social, but that's what I thought I asked one of the spectators to shuffle the cards and participate through picking a card and signing it but he was very anti-social and started to shy himself away along with his friend it was difficult and I have been practicing a lot on my presentation for effects to give them a "wow" factor. Even after I had shown him that his card was the only face down card in the pack, and he still seemed shy. Not even a smile could be found upon one of the workers faces. My question is what do I do to work on really hitting hard with the spectators and or getting them to lighten up? A joke? A simple smile? I know everybody will react differently I am very aware of this but he went from very social to almost not speaking at all.

Sep 1, 2007
Not having seen the performance, I can't say specifically what you did. But the way you talk makes me think that when you perform it's all about you and what you can do. That's not very interesting to watch unless you yourself are so damn interesting the whole room wants to talk to you without you doing any magic.

May 7, 2012
some people just do not enjoy magic, they do not want to be fooled for they think that is the point of magic, which it is not. The point for magic is to astonish and bring people together, create a moment they won't forget, but most spectators see the point of magic as trying to be fooled. Try to bring people towards you to create a larger audience, if you see someone watching from a distance tell them to come closer and watch, this will inhabit a more social factor. With this crowd try to have as much audience interaction as possible. Although, there are some people who simply do not want to be fooled and they are just to nice to be a heckler.

Aug 25, 2012
I try to keep it as far from that as possible, I am pretty outgoing not trying to sound cocky and also a very social person.

Aug 2, 2011
California
If I weren't a magician and someone walked up to me in my work and pulled out cards and started doing magic, I would probably act a little awkward, and I consider myself a social person. I'm not a fan of the street magic "style" in the first place. Just my opinion.

(By street magic style, I mean walking up to a random person and shoving a magic trick in their face. I understand doing close up magic at a restaurant, party, farmer's market etc. but I find it weird doing magic for someone in the middle of a department store.)

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
You need to look at it from a logical point of view. You are in a clothing store and you went to bother people who were shopping. So of course they are going to act a bit awkward towards you. They just want to shop and then go home. You need to leave the magic at home sometimes (and this was one of those times.) when you go out. It just makes you look incredibly dorky and sad if you walk around trying to perform magic for literally everybody you see.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
My first guess would be that you need to work on your social skills. Just because two people that are working are talking, doesn't mean that they're not doing something. One or both of them may have been on a break and nearing the end. They may have been having a quick chat about something work related and you trying to get them involved in your magic was risking him getting in trouble for not working.

Furthermore, I know you say you've been working on your presentation, but that doesn't mean you're succeeding. Real performance is the only way to figure that part out and believe me, I've fallen into the trap of thinking something is gold until I actually perform it and realize it sucks.

My advice? Keep practicing the magic, but also learn more social skills. Learn to tell when people actually want to see magic. Learn to interact with people without magic, so that you can judge the situation and then maybe lead the conversation to magic so you can perform. Also, never bother people at work.

Dec 18, 2007
Northampton, MA - USA
When not doing "magic" I have frequently worked as a salesman and as such come to loathe those that were "in your face" and pushy. The same goes with magic & magicians; especially the trend of approaching total strangers in their place of business, such as is described here, and showing off . . . first off, you are putting them on the spot in a way that could cost them their job and secondly, doing card tricks in a department store in light years away from a "proper" performance atmosphere. Then again, I feel the same way about those that invade people's conversations at a Mall's food court or someone reading a book while enjoying some coffee at Barns & Nobel, etc. IT'S RUDE!

I'm rather surprised more magicians haven't lost their front teeth as the result of fist collisions but fortunately most of the population will be more courteous and "tolerate" such impositions.

Yes, I'm being quite blunt on this point in that I believe in treating people with a bit of respect and that means keeping what I do in a proper setting. For instance, when I'm at a Starbucks type establishment I might be doing some Card Spreads (tarot) which attract people and encourages them to ask questions . . . in other words I've tossed my lure out into the pond in hope of hooking some fish and reeling them into my world. By approaching people in this way I gain the psychological upper-hand because they have chosen to be a part of what I'm doing vs. me putting them on the spot. . . and no, you don't have to be doing the Psychic stuff, you could be practicing things such as color changes, flourishes, even coin routines . . . you're in your own little world and sucking people in. But here's the kicker. . . be aware of the people around you that start watching. When you see someone that seems really focused, invite them in; do something short and sweet that gets a reaction ESPECIALLY when they have a friend or two sitting with them. Allow their interest and excitement energize the rest of the room; the more people that get involved the more freedom you will EARN.

I've done as much as a full hour under these exact conditions. It allows me to experiment with certain theories and concepts, tune my skills before I go out to do a show, and of course you get to break in new material. The more important thing, at least to my mind, is that it's a Marketing & PR opportunity that allows me to pass out my card or even a brochure should I conveniently have a few handy . . . not that I'd carry such things around with me. . .

On that note however, we must remember that what we do and how we present it will bring focus on us and if we are bad and lack confidence or express too much ego, that Public Relations advantage goes flying out the window and there's nothing you can do to change that, first impressions being what they are.

Yes, there are people that detest magic as a whole and like it or not there are even more people in the world that loathe card tricks. While a solid card worker will get high marks, they are rare. To the general public card tricks are "low brow" schtick frequently relegated to the pub and stag parties. If you happen to live in areas of strong religious influence you will find that playing cards are taboo in that community, something that rarely crosses our minds . . . who's to say that wasn't the case with these co-workers mentioned by the OP?

There are many reasons why you won't get a reaction from people, these are but a few of the reasons not mentioned thus far that we need to think of.

Sep 1, 2007
Belgrade, Serbia
I don't think it's (entirely) your fault. Remember they have been working. They have been social to you because that is their job, to talk to customers, make them feel welcomed, and them try to get them to buy something. As soon as you started doing magic, they were no longer doing their jobs. They were afraid that their boss will walk by or see them on camera, and that they would potentially even get fired for watching magic on their job. So I believe that they were social to you at the beginning just because it's their job, don't take it personally.

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
They were not "Random" people they were two workers who had just been talking to me seconds before

It is their job to talk to you and make you feel comfortable. That encourages sales. Once you started performing for them they stopped doing their job. Reread Andy W and Randy's posts.

If the same thing happens to you in other situations, then look closely at what Steerpike and Christopher are saying. In that case, it is your presentation.

After you have done that, study what Craig said. There is more wisdom about performing in that post than in your whole collection of DVDs.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results