Real, working, coin magic?

May 17, 2011
I am a log time magician that has fallen over and over in the bad habit of learning to much stuff and never mastering anything right. As a result I am limiting my self to 7 effect that I want to master at least to a certain level. The hardest part is choosing the effects. I am a big fan of gaffless, hardcore coin magic, sadly it doesn't seem to be the most magical this to preform for laymen. My question to you is what would be an (some) effect(s) that have realistic working angles (so.....practically none, boom just eliminated 99% of coin magic) and a magical effect?

I've been looking true the new york coin magic seminar material and I've found one or two things that may work. The McCarthy silk vanish seem okay, thought I don't know if the angles are good enough as well as the four phase copper silver routine with a silk.

I would appreciate any help as I feel quite discouraged at how so little coin work seems to be plausible and how I have no idea what else to do.

Aug 17, 2010
Do coin some coin magic to gather the crowd for my busking act; there is stuff you can do surrounded that gets the money.

There are limits; sometimes a gaff is the best way to go, especially considering some of the conditions. It's difficult to work for a large crowd with bad angles and limit the effects you can do by arbitrarily deciding about the props you wish to use. Not saying it can't be done, but why not use the best tool for the situation you face?

I mean, I must know 15 or 20 coins across routines, but the one with a sh*** has the best angles by far. It's one I can do surrounded. Only bad angle is from underneath.

May 17, 2011
I general I agree. There really isn't any reason not to use the best possible tools at your disposal. Issue is that for the moment, I don't have shells at my disposal. Also I just really like gaffless coin work, and since I don;t have gaffes any way I figured I'd try and find stuff that I both really like and can do right now. I know how far-fetched it is, I'm just trying to find an effect to work as I'm limited to 7 I wan to find a good one.

May 19, 2010
Have you looked into sleeving? Once you master some basic techniques it opens up a whole new world in coin magic.

Sep 1, 2007
What exactly is a working angle?

And stop obsessing over being able to do something surrounded. If you really are regularly performing while surrounded on all sides, then your audience management skills suck.

May 17, 2011
Sure I've looked into sleeving, I don't really do it because I'm not all that good at it but there are certainly some great peices with it and one day, hopefully I'll take the time to get good at it.

What exactly is a working angle?

And stop obsessing over being able to do something surrounded. If you really are regularly performing while surrounded on all sides, then your audience management skills suck.

I have a defect in my brain that makes me utterly obsessed with "Perfect" coin magic. The only coin stuff I actually do doesn't have perfect angles, in fact, no trick does (not that I know of at least), but I still obsess with the idea of no gaffes/no extra coins/no bad angles/no sleeves/no props...et cetera. Bottom line, I'm just crazy.

Sep 1, 2007
I have a defect in my brain that makes me utterly obsessed with "Perfect" coin magic. The only coin stuff I actually do doesn't have perfect angles, in fact, no trick does (not that I know of at least), but I still obsess with the idea of no gaffes/no extra coins/no bad angles/no sleeves/no props...et cetera. Bottom line, I'm just crazy.

I'm crazy too. Difference is, I got a real diagnosis. That said, if you know that this holy grail of coin magic doesn't exist, why are you wasting your time chasing it?

Check out Eric Jones' lecture notes "Finger tips part 2: liberty" it's 7 completely angle proof tricks. although only three are coin tricks, and of those only one is a real coin routine, the other is a coin in bottle (although by far the cleanest most amazing coin in bottle routine i've ever seen) and the last is really just one short impromptu trick.

That said, most coin magic isn't angle proof, and it's not supposed to be. coin magic requires palming or conceals which hide a coin from one side but is blatantly clear from the other. so don't worry about it so much. As Eric Jones says, most angle problems can be solved by taking one step back.

Josh Burch

Elite Member
Aug 11, 2011
Utah
I do a one coin routine from Bobos as well as Eric Jone's menage a trois. Menage a trois is a little angle sensitive but the one coin routine can be done completely surrounded and is gaffless. I do a good bit of coin magic now and I use mainly normal coins. I can understand why you want to stay away from gaffs. I don't like to use them much for the same reasons I don't use gaffed decks very much. You have to have a whole other coin just to do another trick. I keep 4 half dollars in my coin pocket constantly for practice and have a nice little repertoire built up with the coins. There's tons of gaffless angle free coin tricks out there!

Apr 30, 2013
Believe it or not learning the muscle pass as a feat of defying gravity plays so well for laymen. but keep in mind it has many other attributes like sleeveless complete vanishes of a coin. i suggest mastering that

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results