Cardistry Help ( ._.)

venom546

Elite Member
Mar 11, 2013
Hey everyone. So I have been doing magic tricks for almost a year now. But I have only been doing magic and I would say i'm decent. But I have been recently interested in card flourishes. But every time I practice one, I could never for the life of me do it or complete it. I may get one part of a flourish, but a part where you throw the deck or something is a move I can never learn to do. How long do you usually practice a flourish and do you have any tips for beginners on card flourishes? I know the basics like the sybill cut and scissor cut just a FYI. Thanks

Feb 20, 2013
Smederevo,Serbia
If you're just starting out in flourishing then it's pretty typical to have problems like that.You might aswell know that practice is the only way to improve.If you don't get any better at a certain flourish try to make it your own,eliminate parts that are too difficult or add a new twist to help you do it better or you could try doing parts of the flourish individually then gradually binding them together and getting one whole.I for one practice a flourish thoroughly,get the hang of it then work out the details and flares.As i said you can try and divide the flourish into parts and then work your way up to the full performance.The tip i can give you is to practice and if you can't do a flourish now,you'll be able to do it in a weeks time or so.Hope this helped ^^

Vinnie C.

cardistry moderator / t11
Aug 31, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
A given flourish can take days, weeks or months to master - entirely depending on its complexity and required dexterity. As you become more experienced, new flourishes can be mastered much faster. The basic formula is below:

1. When learning the flourish for the first time, follow along with the instructions very slowly, "cheating" if you have to by helping yourself execute the flourish in a way that is not intended, just so you can understand the basic movements.
2. In doing this, memorize the basic movements of the flourish - but with no intention of doing them quickly yet.
3. Continue to practice the movements. As you find yourself able to do it well, try doing it a tiny bit faster.
4. Slowly work it up to being quicker and, more importantly, smoother.

Your ultimate goal is smoothness, not speed. Once you're able to execute the move easily speed will also come naturally, but your goal is to be smooth and fluid.

Also, a very important tip - take breaks. If you're having a bit of trouble with a move, stop practicing it and come back to it in a few days while you work on something else. If you do this, you will find that you learn the moves much more easily and don't have as many "road blocks" to mastering them.

Let me know if you have any questions.

All the best,
Vinnie C.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results