Class Pass Problems

Mar 12, 2013
Hey guys,

I just downloaded Jason England's video on the Classic Pass. I have about 6 months of card magic/flourishing experience. After practicing for several hours, my biggest problem is found when attempting to pull the top packet off to the side and putting it below the bottom packet. When trying to grip the top pack with my last three fingers and pull, cards usually get turned sideways, rotate almost completely on me, or shoot out from the middle of the packet and I end up with just the top and bottom cards of that top packet. Any advice on better controlling this step? I know practice is my best answer, but I was hoping someone could provide some insight!

Thank you!

Also, excuse my error of forgetting the "ic" in "Classic" in the thread title!

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
I've located your problem. "After practicing for several hours".

Do it for another six months and let us know if you're still having issues.

Mar 12, 2013
Thanks, Christopher. Obviously, I realize that practicing is the best help. I just thought people might have some pointers for better gripping the cards.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
At this point you're not even to the "make adjustments" phase. The pass is a move that requires a ton of practice to do well. Aaron Fisher talks about how he worked on his pass for ten years before he was confident to use it in performance. I don't generally use my pass in performance (I have it more as an emergency back up in case I screw up), but I worked on it solidly for two years before I would even risk it in front of an audience.

You've already got one of the best resources available. Now you just need to keep doing it. Your hands will learn the move and you'll get more control over time.

Feb 10, 2013
I had a similar problem a while ago. I just kept working on it and now it is much better, but still not up to performance standards yet for me. I'm getting there. Just do the move slow at first, get that part with the grip and pressure applied right, and then move up the speed gradually.

Oct 19, 2012
bangalore
To use pass in the performance you dont even want to learn it perfectly , because pass is something you do while you talking to your spectator while you are looking into their eyes. I still dont do a perfect pass but i use it in my performance , spectator will never notice a thing .

Mar 10, 2013
Murphy, NC
When I practice for a long period of time I actually am still learning. Your hands, fingers and, arms figure out the correct way to move everything over time. Soon you will do a micro move and you will have it :) It's not you can't do it right now it's your individual fingers haven't figured out how much pressure to apply or the distance needed to be traveled... I find if your are getting caught up constantly go back and figure out which finger is possibly not moving right or just not in the right way. On the same note if your wrists stay locked in the same position compared to their wrists (usually just in flourishing)... Easiest way I found is to over exaggerate my motions then bring them in closer over time... That's just from my personal experiences but I hope it helps :) ~Rian Mileti

Oct 5, 2012
First, I want to echo what everyone has said about practice and patience. Time on task is pivotal and this is a move that is very frustrating and slow to develop. Two thoughts that may help your practice:

One: Practice without concern for subtlety or cover. Just use your pinky&third finger as a means of cutting the pack. Do this over and over again. Of course, this is an early stage technique, as adding the cover etc. is essential to the move, but in terms of training your fingers to move, this was helpful for me.

Two: A suggestion for all moves that require manipulation of the whole pack is to add extra cards. This won't be helpful yet, but once you have control over the basic movement, this is an excellent suggestion from Jason England on how to improve the pass (and the bottom deal, incidentally).

Mar 12, 2013
Thanks nandn4magic, Rian, and 4ofclubs! I've been practicing daily and have begun to use my index finger to help bring the packet under the deck. Rian, even early in my practicing of the Classic Pass, I can begin to see some of the micro-adjustments you are talking about. I'm watching my fingers more closely now and making adjustments as needed. 4ofclubs, thanks for pointing out the need to get that basic cutting move down without attempting to conceal the packet. I am mainly practicing the cut right now. I appreciate the insight! Thanks again for the advice guys!

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results