New tricks

Status
Not open for further replies.

DH MagicTime

Banned
May 19, 2012
Sydney, Australia
I've been doing magic for about 4-5 years now and i have some serious tricks down but I'm thinking about removing all the tricks and start fresh. Learn new tricks and routines as I'm bored with my original routines. I know Louis C. K does this as everyone year he comes up with a new routine, does anyone else do this ( magic community )??

Reg

Mar 12, 2013
I'm actually in the process of doing this at the moment. It's a good chance to improve and take your magic to the next level. Best of luck with it!

Dec 18, 2007
Northampton, MA - USA
Learning magic is a perpetual process, it's not stopping and starting over again.

We find a cache of bits we like to do and slowly we begin to replace certain routines with newer effects or handlings that interest us and help us "improve" upon or otherwise change how we are perceived as entertainers. About the only time I've seen or done a cut and move to new move usually stems from creating a completely new act, usually a seasonal program or something special such as a Patriotic or Religiously themed show (as examples) that are performed certain times of the year for specific events or groups.

The only other major exception I've seen (and encourage) is when one is shifting away from traditional magic and into Mentalism and maybe Escapes in that "real" escape work is not the same as doing Illusions designed to look like an escape, it's a very different world.

It's perfectly normal to have two or three complete acts at the ready; material that's polished and which can be rotated as you get repeat clients. Keep records as to which act you brought to that group when and when they call you back bring in a different set so as to allow for a sense of variety. I used to work a "Blackstonesque" family show from early spring through August and then shift into my Macabre show for about 12 weeks a year and then an end of year holiday show run that took up about 6 weeks of the year. Other than special promotional bits for business clients, that was pretty much it.

Not certain if this fits the sort of goal you're shooting for, but it's what I know and understand as being "normal" in the biz.

BTW. . . if you aren't bored and sick & tired of your act after 3-6 weeks of constant rehearsal, you're doing it wrong. To work a set act you must know everything about it better than you know the back of your own hand. This is why many of we old guys encourage your youngsters to build a stage act and take it to the Theme Parks for a season or work the Carney circuit. If you do an act 5+ times a day for the 16 or so weeks of the typical season, you'll be able to make some solid impressions.

DH MagicTime

Banned
May 19, 2012
Sydney, Australia
Someone jizz on there jerry nuggets this morning, this is why people hate these magic forums cause people like you think they are a know it all cock sucker. What does Louis C. K have to do with this is as his a world successful stand up comedy, performances work in similar creative process. simply eat a dick ****.

What does that even mean?

That's not the same thing.

No.

DH MagicTime

Banned
May 19, 2012
Sydney, Australia
Thank you for your feed back I very much respect your words of wisedom. I can see where your coming from and I'll work it out

Learning magic is a perpetual process, it's not stopping and starting over again.

We find a cache of bits we like to do and slowly we begin to replace certain routines with newer effects or handlings that interest us and help us "improve" upon or otherwise change how we are perceived as entertainers. About the only time I've seen or done a cut and move to new move usually stems from creating a completely new act, usually a seasonal program or something special such as a Patriotic or Religiously themed show (as examples) that are performed certain times of the year for specific events or groups.

The only other major exception I've seen (and encourage) is when one is shifting away from traditional magic and into Mentalism and maybe Escapes in that "real" escape work is not the same as doing Illusions designed to look like an escape, it's a very different world.

It's perfectly normal to have two or three complete acts at the ready; material that's polished and which can be rotated as you get repeat clients. Keep records as to which act you brought to that group when and when they call you back bring in a different set so as to allow for a sense of variety. I used to work a "Blackstonesque" family show from early spring through August and then shift into my Macabre show for about 12 weeks a year and then an end of year holiday show run that took up about 6 weeks of the year. Other than special promotional bits for business clients, that was pretty much it.

Not certain if this fits the sort of goal you're shooting for, but it's what I know and understand as being "normal" in the biz.

BTW. . . if you aren't bored and sick & tired of your act after 3-6 weeks of constant rehearsal, you're doing it wrong. To work a set act you must know everything about it better than you know the back of your own hand. This is why many of we old guys encourage your youngsters to build a stage act and take it to the Theme Parks for a season or work the Carney circuit. If you do an act 5+ times a day for the 16 or so weeks of the typical season, you'll be able to make some solid impressions.

Sep 1, 2007
Someone jizz on there jerry nuggets this morning, this is why people hate these magic forums cause people like you think they are a know it all cock sucker. What does Louis C. K have to do with this is as his a world successful stand up comedy, performances work in similar creative process. simply eat a dick ****.

I hope you realize that the mods take a very dim view of this sort of bellicose rhetoric. What exactly made you think that freaking out and cursing at me was going to end well for you, anyway?

Kid, I have no idea what half the things you're saying mean anyway. It's like a conscious stream of thought at worst, a desperate attempt to sound cool at best. You want advice? How about this: relax.

Incidentally, the only reason I haven't reported you is because I'm going to give you a chance to calm down, get a grip, and apologize. You're welcome.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results