where to practice and do your tricks?

ifreuds

Elite Member
Jun 30, 2012
Thailand
hey guys I'm a novice when its come to card magic.
I can do a lot of colour changes ,but when it come down to those with lots of practice and palming I don't know when is the right time for me to do the tricks for other to see. I believe that if I perform the tricks they'll spot the mistake however if I don't I wouldn't know where I went wrong!! so who should I perform to? I don't Think the mirror help much since they are not trying to get at you and you know which angel you should be doing to hide your error from the mirror. also if you ask your friend to help once after that he'll know where to look and it would even be harder to trick him or he'll always said that it pretty obvious for other and stuff. so any tips?

Thank you in advance :D
Michael

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
If you can hide the sleight from the mirror, why wouldn't you be able to hide the sleight from a spectator with the same angles?

A camera (or two) can help a lot with this because you can position it at the height and angle of your average spectator and then not have the instant feedback of watching in a mirror. You have to just do it and hope it works, then review the tape afterward.

Also, get the idea of knowing they'll spot the trick out of your head. If you go into a performance expecting to be caught, you will be caught. You'll telegraph all of the moves and the audience will know something is up. Practice until you can do everything without thinking, then focus on performing rather than simply executing a series of sleights.

Josh Burch

Elite Member
Aug 11, 2011
Utah
Get a magic friend or start going to a club. This way you can do magic back and forth helping each other out. I use a mirror and camera but there are faulty in their own way. I like to ask for help when it comes to really angle sensitive stuff you just need more feedback sometime.

Apr 20, 2013
Get a magic friend or start going to a club. This way you can do magic back and forth helping each other out. I use a mirror and camera but there are faulty in their own way. I like to ask for help when it comes to really angle sensitive stuff you just need more feedback sometime.

This is what I usually do myself. Getting a magic friend, or if you can an effective magic team ( consist of a cameraman, a consultant, and the performer himself ). I have my own magic team, and it's kickin' till now.

Jan 1, 2013
A gambler's mirror is a good tool. It is several mirrors hinged together which gives you multiple angle on a move at the same time

If you can hide the sleight from the mirror, why wouldn't you be able to hide the sleight from a spectator with the same angles?

A camera (or two) can help a lot with this because you can position it at the height and angle of your average spectator and then not have the instant feedback of watching in a mirror. You have to just do it and hope it works, then review the tape afterward.

Also, get the idea of knowing they'll spot the trick out of your head. If you go into a performance expecting to be caught, you will be caught. You'll telegraph all of the moves and the audience will know something is up. Practice until you can do everything without thinking, then focus on performing rather than simply executing a series of sleights.

Good Advice .... I see review my videos all the time and catch a lot of issues I didn't realize I was having or doing.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results