Slippery Cards, How to get more grip?

Jan 22, 2012
Hey guys,

Recently I have been having a problem where every time I practice magic or cardistry, the cards always seem to be really slippery and I can't get a good grip on the cards. Like for example it will be difficult to do an Erdnase change because the cards are too slippery. Is there anyway to get more friction between the cards?

Vinnie C.

cardistry moderator / t11
Aug 31, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Is this with a brand new deck? You just need to break it in - that will happen naturally as you use it, or with a little bit of fanning powder.

The fanning powder trick is simple. Spring the cards into a large paper bag, sprinkle about 2 small dashes of fanning powder into the bag, close it up, shake the hell out of it for about 1 minute, take the cards out, put them all facing the same way, and then slap, shuffle, dribble, spring and fan them until the powder evens out (this will take maybe 10 - 15 springs, 10 dribbles, 10 shuffles, 12 or so fans and plenty of slappin').

Best,
Vince

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
It may also be your hands, not the cards, which lack friction.

I have this issue a lot. My hands get ridiculously dry, so much so that I can run my thumb along the top card of a new deck and barely move it.

I recommend you find a good lotion and use it daily when your hands start drying out. I used to have to 'sock' my hands at night, which meant slathering them in lotion, then putting socks over them before I went to sleep. This let the lotion really soak into my hands. I'd wash off any excess in the morning and this usually took care of me.

Jan 22, 2012
It may also be your hands, not the cards, which lack friction.

I have this issue a lot. My hands get ridiculously dry, so much so that I can run my thumb along the top card of a new deck and barely move it.

I recommend you find a good lotion and use it daily when your hands start drying out. I used to have to 'sock' my hands at night, which meant slathering them in lotion, then putting socks over them before I went to sleep. This let the lotion really soak into my hands. I'd wash off any excess in the morning and this usually took care of me.

Yes! My hands get ridiculously dry! What's some good lotion to use?

Vinnie C.

cardistry moderator / t11
Aug 31, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Personally I wouldn't waste your money on lotion. If you go into any office depot type store you can pick up finger tip moistener for about $4.00

Sortkwik Fingertip Moistener, right? I've heard it recommended many times, but have never tried it myself. Either way, definitely worth a shot, it's very cheap.

Best,
Vince

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
I used Lubriderm's Extreme Repair or something. At the time I was working at a dairy plant, so my hands were getting wet, then drying out, then wet again, etc. And I live in a desert.

SortKwik is good for brief periods. It won't last very long, and it's difficult to apply to your whole hand. It's intended for the fingertips. If you put it on your fingers, you'll probably be able to do, say, a deck's worth of second deals before your fingers dry out again.

Keeping your hands properly moist will be best in the long run.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results