Need some controls.

Jan 1, 2013
Dear magic fraternity,

I have been doing magic for just over a year and a half now and, rather shockingly, I do not have many good controls in my arsenal, I mainly use centre doubles and the double undercut, and would like to know your thoughts. I have some very specific parameters, which I will outline below:

I would like a control to the top and to the bottom (they need not be the same control)
I would not like to see the card during the selection process
I don't want to visibly change the order of the cards
It must be angle proof (or resistant)
I am left handed, so can't currently have a card peeked (however if a fellow leftie has a way to have a card peeked i will be glad to give it a try).
In an ideal world I would dribble the cards, have a spectator call stop, show them the top card of the bottom packet, square up and have the card controlled but wouldn't object to another process there, such as a cascade or another dribble.

My classic pass is currently useless

baguette

Elite Member
Mar 28, 2013
i have been using the wine control from magical sleight endlessly to get the card to the top. For the bottom, a simple cull or overhand shuffle once the card is on top.

Jay Adra

Elite Member
Jul 11, 2011
Australia
www.jayadra.com
Sounds like a Dribble Pass or a Side-Steal would suit you. I'm not sure the best place to learn these moves, but a quick search should find you some resources. I believe there's a Jason England download on T11 which is a single-card control (straddle pass I think they call it?).

JokerZingo

Elite Member
Oct 16, 2012
Sweden
freemagictutorials.com
My tip is I was useless at the classic pass too until I bought the classic pass one on one from Jason England.
You should really buy that and practice it, it's totaly worth it.
It's 10bucks I think and it's a good to have in ur arsenal. I really think you should buy it and try it out.
(My favorite is the classic pass with dribble)

Thanks - JokerZingo/Markus

Oct 11, 2010
Denmark
It is possible to have a card peeked as a leftie.
Just riffle the bottom left corner and get a break while lowering the cards.

From that break I would suggest the Charlie Miller Cascade Control, it has practically no angle issues and nothing that is unmanageable.

Or just cull the card, there's tons of sources to learn from.

Aug 25, 2012
The Miller Cascade control to say the least is very difficult, I prefer Zach Muellers variation on the wire I have more control as many others do, the cascade control happens almost to fast for me to catch up.

Oct 11, 2010
Denmark
I don't know the variation by Zach Mueller so I can't compare them.

But calling the Miller Cascade control very difficult seems misleading. I would at most call it intermediate.

Apr 6, 2011
Lansing, MI
Well the obvious answer is work on a solid pass, many can be used in the context of a dribble selection.
If you want to control the card during a dribble, nothing can beat the Invisible Pass by Aaron Fisher.

If a force will work for you I can tell you of two excellent sources, Daniel Garcia teaches a force in ultragaff (I'm sure you can find another source, thats just for reference) that would work quite well. Also Michael Vincent has an excellent move that I love to apply to a dribble in either his booklet Close-Up Classics or 3 Professional Card Routines. I can't remember which and I can't check till I get home.
I also have an original force that I wouldn't mind showing you that I most often use for a dribble force, PM me if you'd like.

If you don't mind controlling the card after the dribble, there are a few more moves that I really enjoy. Eric Jones has been teaching a move at recent lectures that is an excellent, magician and layman fooling technique. I'm sure you can find a copy of his lecture notes somewhere on his site, or if you contact him. Another move is a variation of the Clip Shift technique which can be found in Chad Nelson's dvd Surfaced.

If you are comfortable with palming or learning palming techniques: For a right handed magician still attempting to utilize a dribble control:
Classic Palm Right: Paul LePaul sidesteal.
Classic Palm Left: Either Erdnase Diagonal Palm Shift, or another personal technique that you are free to PM me about.
Gambler's Cop Left: PM me.

Finally you can never go wrong perusing the controls in Card College, Encyclopedia of Card Technique, Complete Course in Magic, Close up Card Magic, Expert Card Technique, and of course Expert at the Card Table.

Last edited by a moderator:
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results