Trouble Getting Creative

May 25, 2013
Hey guys, I've been sitting here on my couch for quite some time attempting to create an original flourish but I keep coming up empty. I was just curious as to what you guys do to get your creative juices pumping. Anywho thanks for the help guys.

I usually just listen to music and try to get into that creative mindset. My second method is by watching some good cardistry videos and try to replicate some of the moves, most of the time when i try replicating them i come up with a new move.

Sep 1, 2007
I've been sitting here on my couch for quite some time attempting to create an original flourish

That rather crosses the T doesn't it? Sitting around deliberately trying to force a specific outcome causes your inner critic to go completely nuts on any attempt at creativity.

Really, the best thing to do is to just jam. If I want to write a screenplay, I free write until something hits me as a good idea. If I want to write some new music, I noodle on my guitar until I come up with a melody or riff I like and build off of that. I don't just sit there and go, "I will now write a sprawling, chart-topping rock opera!" and then actually do it. If that were the case, I wouldn't be hanging out here. I would be going on a road trip through continental Europe with an entourage of Swedish groupies.

Stop worrying about the end result and just screw around. Inspiration is too ephemeral to really be forced, but if you're setting aside the time to just jam, it makes getting good ideas a lot easier. Getting into the groove is the fastest way to shut off your inner critic that does not involve achieving an altered state of consciousness. Hey, pot and LSD worked for The Beatles, but considering what happened to one of my favorite vocalists of all time, Layne Staley... well, there's a reason I'm not endorsing that particular route.

Aug 17, 2012
Being creative for creatives sake defeats the point. I never try to create anything new, ideas just come to me oddly, and then I write them down. Sometimes I go months without an idea, and that's okay because I don't physically need to create something.

I believe your trying to create something, just so you can feel a sense of accomplishment. Trust me, the end result of this is way poorer than when you accidentally stumble across an idea.

Hope this helps,
Sam.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
I agree with them.

Also, Adam Wilber just put out a good book on creative magic which contains several little creativity exercises and some interviews regarding creativity from some good names. Also some great magic in there.

The easiest way is doing variations. Look at 1 of your favorite flourishes, & do the following.

1. Try doing the flourish backwards.
2. Try it upsidedown.
3. Try switching hands.
4. Try it with less cards.
5. Try it with more cards.
6. Try it with the dack face up.
7. Change the order of moves in a flourish sequence, mix it up.
8. Try doing a flourish that uses two hands with just 1 hand.
9. Always credit any variation of a flourish you make back to the original that inspired it.
10. Try ball juggling/contact juggling. It's almost the same as card flourishing.
11. See if there is a ball juggling move you like that you could do with a deck, or multiple decks.

Ive never tried flourishing yet or creating flourishes, but thats how I'd start if I wanted to create moves.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results