Tiny Plunger Review+LIVE performance to 60 people

Pete Pridanonda

Elite Member
Jun 13, 2009
Hi Everyone, so my review will be different than other reviews. I will keep it simple and short but I will ALWAYS have a LIVE performance video attached for all of you to see! This way, you will see how real world audiences react rather than sitting here reading my reviews. But if you have any questions please post them down below and I'll do my best to answer!
Pros:
1. Ordinary deck of cards.
2. Examinable
3. Strong 6-10 minutes comedy card routine for close up and parlour.
Cons:
1. The cards needs to be fairly new.
So, I lOVE this routine! Perfect for audience of all ages and is different than your avergae card trick! I give this a 9.5/10!

LIVE performance of Tiny Plunger for sixty people!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YqcjirPa2WA

Reactions: JeffMi9
Feb 10, 2013
I just have some critiques on your performance. You said that you included a live performance so that we can see how the audience really reacts, but in your performance you carry on talking and not giving the audience proper time to react. This makes the reactions worse and the experience worse for the audience. Let them enjoy it and laugh when they want to and laugh with then rather than talking over it to get back on with your script. Also, you said it is a comedy routine, but I didn't see much comedy in it. When using a prop such as a plunger you have the possibility to really incoorporate some funny jokes around it, due to its funny nature as a magical prop. I know the kids were young, but kids of that age are into potty jokes, as long as you are careful. All I am saying is that there is room for comedy and you advertised it as comedic, but I wasn't seeng it in your performance. Lastly, don't let a spectator use your prop and do the magic like you tried to that one time. When they succeed in doing the magic with the prop it takes away form your performance because now they know it is all in the prop and that you are not really doing anything special, but rather relying on your store bought plunger to do something cool. You must hide the fact that it is all the prop and make it seem more magical and mystical as if you are doing something.

Dec 23, 2007
Fredonia, NY
Gotta disagree with you there Junkbox. I let spectators use props all the time. Letting them do the magic is not a negative. If anything it can create an even more powerful magical moment. Think of Out of This World, Finger Flicker, Spongeballs, etc. Your idea sounds very self-centered like you are making the magic all about you. To me, magic is about the audience, it's about their experience. I want to bring the magic to them as much as possible.

Reactions: Impossible

Pete Pridanonda

Elite Member
Jun 13, 2009
Feb 10, 2013
Gotta disagree with you there Junkbox. I let spectators use props all the time. Letting them do the magic is not a negative. If anything it can create an even more powerful magical moment. Think of Out of This World, Finger Flicker, Spongeballs, etc. Your idea sounds very self-centered like you are making the magic all about you. To me, magic is about the audience, it's about their experience. I want to bring the magic to them as much as possible.

I didn't mean I don't let them hold something. In sponge balls the magic happens in their hands, but they do not do the magic themselves. In this performance the kid didn't just hold it and play a part, but DID the magic with ease. I believe this takes away from the performance because the audience then knows how easy it is. In terms of Out of This World, that is more meant to be a miracle performed by the spectator. There are no props that do all the work, just the cards. In this performance they used the prop and did the magic, rather than doing a miracle, if that makes sense.

Aug 31, 2007
Hey Pete!

Awesome performance. You could tell the kids were extremely entertained and excited. And great review as well!

Junkbox - I'm going to have to side with Josh here. I don't think letting the audience feel like they are doing the magic is a negative at all, and I definitely don't think it takes away from the performer. Unless you are genuinely presenting yourself as an all-powerful wizard, and the audience as your peasants, in which case I would understand your point :p

I think letting the audience feel like they are doing some of the magic, is almost like letting them in on the fun. Most people (perhaps not everyone) enjoy that, like having the spectator wave a card you've just top changed, and they feel like they changed it. I've never had anyone react to something like that with, "Oh, that was easy. I guess nothing you do is impressive now". Just my two cents ;)

Also, Paul, you've got a very good point there speaking about supporting the artist. You're a good dude, and have awesome ethics. Power to you, man.

What do you guys think about letting the audience do the magic? Do you agree with junkbox? I don't think either of us are 'right', but I never thought of it the way junkbox put it, and I'd like to know if anyone else shares the same opinion, and for what reasons. Let us keep the conversation flowing!

Aug 17, 2012
What do you guys think about letting the audience do the magic? Do you agree with junkbox? I don't think either of us are 'right', but I never thought of it the way junkbox put it, and I'd like to know if anyone else shares the same opinion, and for what reasons. Let us keep the conversation flowing!

I believe it's the right option with effects like tiny plunger. As it doesn't take away anything from the effect at all - by this I mean that it creates a sense of impossibleness (I don't know if that's is actually a word), and makes the audience think about the prop and then they realise that it IS just a tiny plunger unless the magician would not let the spectator handle it.

As for other effects, I have not found any tricks that I perform where including the spectators own touch takes away from the effect, it just adds to the trick.

Just my opinion.

Aug 31, 2007
I would agree with you, Sam, but certainly I can also understand where junkbox is coming from. If you were to have the spectator snap EVERY time you did an ambitious card phase, I can see where it could be overkill or take away from the magician. Anyone else have an opinion on this?

that's a really interesting point, junkbox. i never thought about it like that. although in this case i think having the spectator do it adds to the effect. They know that they can't do magic, and they also know that a tiny plunger should only be able to suction one card up. so in this situation i think it is a great addition.

Jun 12, 2013
New York
That was really a great video you posted out there..Plunger pulled off that thing really well in that video..i guess that was pretty awesome...hey and i would like to keep that video in my system so if you could post a link where to download that thing..i'd much appreciate that.

Aug 25, 2012
I purchased the Tiny Plunger about an hour ago at a local magic shop, the routines are absolutely amazing and this is a great performance. This is already one of my favorite effects, aside from it being pure amazing it is also very funny and just fun to perform. Great job Pete, I plan on making a video of this soon and I will post on the forum to share!

Bryson G.

Elite Member
Jun 13, 2013
I tend to agree with both Zach and junkbox when considering letting the audience use the props. In my opinion, it all depends on the situation and your performance character. If you're a teenager, and young like I am, you might take on a character that is casual about magic, like it just happens around you, which helps you relate to the audience, then letting the audience use the props is a GREAT magical moment. If you say it's a magic plunger, then by all means let the audience use it. If you take on a skillful character, and you say you'll use the plunger to find a card, and you put it all on yourself, then letting the audience use the prop might not be the best idea. Again, it's all situational, and based on your character, script, etc. As for the effect, buy the DVD, the effect was great enough to be performed on the Today Show (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dSrfIiVEAk), so it's well worth the price.

Aug 31, 2007
I agree, Bryson. And yes - Jon Armstrong kills it in that performance, you can tell the hosts are loving it. TINY PLUNGER!

Feb 10, 2013
I see what you are saying, and it really does depend on the performer's character, spectator and audience, and even the effect or prop being used. I would just like to clear something up with what I was saying. I do not mean do not let them do a magical gesture or something like that. That is definitely alright and makes them feel like they are doing something. Holding the deck or object or packet of cards, doing a gesture, or anything along those lines is good. Some effects and props, however, I believe are best handled only by the spectator, but this also has to do with who you are performing to. I guess there are a lot of variables on this subject that come into play with how you decide to do it.

Aug 31, 2007
I see what you are saying, and it really does depend on the performer's character, spectator and audience, and even the effect or prop being used. I would just like to clear something up with what I was saying. I do not mean do not let them do a magical gesture or something like that. That is definitely alright and makes them feel like they are doing something. Holding the deck or object or packet of cards, doing a gesture, or anything along those lines is good. Some effects and props, however, I believe are best handled only by the spectator, but this also has to do with who you are performing to. I guess there are a lot of variables on this subject that come into play with how you decide to do it.

Totally, and very well put. I think you have to read your audience before putting anything into their hands - some situations, and I'd personally say most, are great for the spectators involvement, but there are definitely a good handful of people you wouldn't want handling the props - kids, drunks, etc.

Pete Pridanonda

Elite Member
Jun 13, 2009
I just have some critiques on your performance. You said that you included a live performance so that we can see how the audience really reacts, but in your performance you carry on talking and not giving the audience proper time to react. This makes the reactions worse and the experience worse for the audience. Let them enjoy it and laugh when they want to and laugh with then rather than talking over it to get back on with your script. Also, you said it is a comedy routine, but I didn't see much comedy in it. When using a prop such as a plunger you have the possibility to really incoorporate some funny jokes around it, due to its funny nature as a magical prop. I know the kids were young, but kids of that age are into potty jokes, as long as you are careful. All I am saying is that there is room for comedy and you advertised it as comedic, but I wasn't seeng it in your performance. Lastly, don't let a spectator use your prop and do the magic like you tried to that one time. When they succeed in doing the magic with the prop it takes away form your performance because now they know it is all in the prop and that you are not really doing anything special, but rather relying on your store bought plunger to do something cool. You must hide the fact that it is all the prop and make it seem more magical and mystical as if you are doing something.
I agree with what you said and since I've been performing a lot of shows after my performance of the tiny plunger (this video was back in September 2012), I learned many aspects of audience interaction and even added comedy bits which focuses on getting at least three laughs per minute. I will definitely upload my new performance of this routine as well as footage of my shows so you can see my progress over these past nine months. As for letting the audience use my props, I still let them but I made it seems like I am giving them the power! As a result, instead of them asking me where they can buy the prop, they are wondering if I can give everyone else my magical power!

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
Nicely done Pete. I love watching you perform for your audiences. Your video may have just sold me on purchasing TINY PLUNGER....ha ha. I use a lot of comedy in my performances so I am already thinking of some funny patter and lines. Keep up the good work.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results