NYSM Question (Spoiler alert)

Apr 15, 2009
Hello there!

I've just come home from the cinema where I have seen Now You See Me. I must admit that I think it was great and by the way, The Monarch cards looked quite impressive. However, I have a tiny little question, maybe I missed the point here. From where might this 'Eye' idea evolved so that it was included in the movie? Is there really something like it out there or was it believed to be true some years back in time? Or this was just something Dylan wanted to attract the four individuals with in order to set a trap for Thaddeus?

Have a wonderful day!

There has been many fraternal organizations both secret and otherwise throughout the course of history that have claimed to possess a secret knowledge of some sort. However I don't think the Eye is based in any reality at all. I'm almost certain that it was created specifically for the movie. As for the movie itself I think that there is enough evidence throughout the film to support the Eye being a real organization within that films world. They certainly set themselves up to do a sequel that could focus more on the Eye and their activity.

Aug 31, 2007
First rule about the Eye - don't talk about the Eye. You all should know better.

Think Draven is right - just a central framework for the film's storyline, most likely not based on truths. I personally would've loved to see who else was in the Eye, or perhaps a scene similar to the epic finale of 'This is the End', but with magicians partying wherever that Carousel led to. But we can't have everything :p

Apr 20, 2013
First rule about the Eye - don't talk about the Eye. You all should know better.

Think Draven is right - just a central framework for the film's storyline, most likely not based on truths. I personally would've loved to see who else was in the Eye, or perhaps a scene similar to the epic finale of 'This is the End', but with magicians partying wherever that Carousel led to. But we can't have everything :p

Maybe because the Eye afraid of a visit from you, and the rest of T11 crews, Zach. Hahahaha.
Well, anyway, I've did searched for the Eye and found nothing.
Although it would be interesting if someone's starting an organization of magicians dedicated to helping people you know. ( subliminal message alert )

Dec 18, 2007
Northampton, MA - USA
William is correct to some degree there's a few other elements tied to this which includes the more exclusive fellowships within magic like the Mystic 13 and even the PEA at one time. There are virtually non-existent orders that were strongly influences by the Masons and Rosicrucian societies as well, but the biggest tradition within magic when it comes to knowing & protecting secrets is something certain folks here should already recognize because of their rapport with a certain older lady who now holds the mantel around the Blackstone legacy. Aside from the Kellar-Thurston connection shared by Lance Burton and I, it is the last of the great legacies in magic but both have a common foundation; they are family traditions in which only family knows the finer points behind the magic. The Floating Light Bulb is a perfect example in that you can find an effect sold as The Blackstone Floating Light that is nothing close to how the thing actually worked, same with his Dancing Hank using the little cabinet or even the Buzz Saw for that matter.

There is an old Carney source legend however that does support the gist behind the the film's secret society; the idea that an ancient fellowship of Wizards who embrace a chosen few with each generation. Elements of this idea can be found in Gypsy lore and even some aspects of occult and even martial arts tradition -- the student that sits at the gates of a monastery for years waiting to be allowed in after proving himself or the old parable "Chop Wood/Fetch Water" and it's message about enlightenment. The common theme is that the physical magician (that be us) graduates to a level that allows him to learn the real secrets of executing real magick... but again, it's fable though fun.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results