Guitar and Card Handling

For the past few months I am thinking about buying a guitar
and star learning to play songs that I like.
But the thing is that I am not interested in just some simple songs,
which can be played using just some simple chords.

Many of the songs I like have complicated parts, especially at the solo sections.
And after thinking about it for a while,
I realised that if I were to practice and play the guitar in order to learn these songs,
my fingers, especially the ones on the fretboard,
would become hardened at the fingertips, and this would lead
to me losing all, or some part of my ability to manipulate a deck of cards.

So my question is this:
Is my thinking correct?Is this indeed the case when guitar and card handling meet?
And if yes, is there a way so I can retain the flesh on my fingertips unhardened (if this is a real word), and my hands generally in a condition suitable to handle a deck with great skill?
Perhaps some cream for the hands, some exercises, or anything else.

I am not claiming that I am some sort of expert superhuman creature which can pinky count 50 cards in three seconds, or posesses other amazing skills and doesn't want to lose them as he is learning the guitar.
I just don't want to lose any potential skill I might gain in the coming years.

If there are any questions about my post I would be happy to answer them.

And if I have made any mistakes having to do with grammar or vocabulary, please forgive them, as english is not my first language.

Cheers!

May 19, 2010
I've been playing bass, both upright and electric for a few years now and although I have my fair share of calluses, I haven't noticed it restrict my card handling.

I think magicians in general are a little too cautious when it comes to the state of their hands. When I jammed my finger a year ago wrestling I was amazed at how many sleights I was able to do after a couple days of healing, despite the injury. My advice to you would be: If you want to learn guitar, learn guitar. I don't think you should let magic keep you from doing things you would otherwise enjoy. Plus, learning a new skill is always good because you never know if you can use it in your act in the future. I've seen plenty of awesome magic acts that used musical instruments as their foundation.

Also, say after playing guitar you find that you can't do certain sleights that you could do before, just adapt. There is plenty of material out there, there is bound to be something that works for you.

Hope this helps!

most of my fingers have calluses most of the time. (a combination of dry skin and playing viola) and as far as i can tell it makes no difference what so ever with cards. i can only think of a handful of sleights that you need the tips of your fingers for. and i really think having calluses wont matter.

wZEnigma

Elite Member
Jun 17, 2009
NE Ohio.
ianchandlerwriting.com
I've been playing guitar and doing magic for about the same time (almost seven years now!). I've found that doing both not only helps the other skill, but my fingers get nice, regular exercise! After you play for a while, your fingers don't get constantly calloused. It's more of a one time thing. Fret not ;)

Jun 13, 2013
Hampton Roads, VA
Pretty much what everyone else has been saying... Guitar playing might actually help your card work, its a great finger workout and its a huge boon to dexterity.

CalvinTan

Elite Member
For the past few months I am thinking about buying a guitar
and star learning to play songs that I like.
But the thing is that I am not interested in just some simple songs,
which can be played using just some simple chords.

Many of the songs I like have complicated parts, especially at the solo sections.
And after thinking about it for a while,
I realised that if I were to practice and play the guitar in order to learn these songs,
my fingers, especially the ones on the fretboard,
would become hardened at the fingertips, and this would lead
to me losing all, or some part of my ability to manipulate a deck of cards.

So my question is this:
Is my thinking correct?Is this indeed the case when guitar and card handling meet?
And if yes, is there a way so I can retain the flesh on my fingertips unhardened (if this is a real word), and my hands generally in a condition suitable to handle a deck with great skill?
Perhaps some cream for the hands, some exercises, or anything else.

I am not claiming that I am some sort of expert superhuman creature which can pinky count 50 cards in three seconds, or posesses other amazing skills and doesn't want to lose them as he is learning the guitar.
I just don't want to lose any potential skill I might gain in the coming years.

If there are any questions about my post I would be happy to answer them.

And if I have made any mistakes having to do with grammar or vocabulary, please forgive them, as english is not my first language.

Cheers!

I was a musician before I became a magician. I played lead guitar for a local band before I got into magic. In fact, playing guitar helped with many things in magic, such as finger strength. If you learn how to play guitar the proper way, (one finger per fret) you'll build up your pinky finger strength and have more control over it.

Playing guitar, especially lead guitar for soloing will not hurt your sleight of hand skills. In fact, it may make it better.

The only downside to having fingertips with calluses on them is sometimes they will start to peal as new skin forms underneath. I find that my fingertips were fine for the most part, unless I did a lot of bends in my solos. Bending really shreds up your fingertips to where the dead skin is pealing off. It won't hurt and won't hurt your magic. Your fingertips just won't look nice.

Like magic, I know you want to jump into the hard songs first, but keep in mind, you have to start with the basics first, and of course, a lot of practice. Nobody can just pick up the guitar and play blistering fast solos. You got to learn them one note at a time, and gradually build up speed. Think of it as learning a really hard card flourish. Slow it down, take it step by step, and build up to it.

Aug 31, 2007
Totally agree with everyone's input here - it will only improv you're hand eye (hand-ear?) coordination and dexterity.

Lots of magicians are badass string players - Andrew Goldenhersh is a BEAST on guitar, and Penn Jillette plays bass for 30 minutes on stage before ever Penn & Teller show. My good friend Albert Chang is a master of violin and also an avid card handler.

So yes! Learn away :) Good luck!

Anyone else come to mind when thinking of musical magicians?

Jul 13, 2010
Jason Ladanye teaches guitar, piano and harmonica and is a professional card magician with great soh-skills. He is a student and friend of Darwin Ortiz and it doesn`t seem that playing the guitar has harmed his dexterity with cards in any way.

Apr 20, 2013
Agree with everyone.
My story with music and magic is pretty much the same as CalvinTan's

Oh and anyway, Daniel Garcia therapy for his pre-accident long time ago is playing guitar. He regain those crazy smooth sleights after practicing guitars.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results