Favorite Old Magic Magazine?

May 18, 2008
Hey everyone!

I hope all is going well! Lately, I've been obsessed with reading through old magazines. The theories are often original and sound and it's a great way to find methods that people simply haven't heard of. I've been having a lot of fun with issues of The Phoenix, The New Phoenix, The Linking Ring, MUM, Genii, Hugard's and Apocalypse.

I'm just wondering; what is your favorite older publication and why?

Thanks in advance!

All the best,
-Chris

Aug 31, 2007
The Phoenix has some KILLER gems in it. Magic Magazine always has great material, enough to make a whole 3 DVD set of tricks ;) I have a whole bin of old Magic and Linking Ring issues which I haven't read in ages and am donation to the Castle library this weekend - I think you'd have a field day in there. Every issue you could think of ;)

May 18, 2008
The Phoenix has some KILLER gems in it. Magic Magazine always has great material, enough to make a whole 3 DVD set of tricks ;) I have a whole bin of old Magic and Linking Ring issues which I haven't read in ages and am donation to the Castle library this weekend - I think you'd have a field day in there. Every issue you could think of ;)

Oh, absolutely! That sounds incredible; it's definitely on my bucket list to check it out sometime!

Jul 13, 2010
- Apocalypse, because I can just open any Volume and always find something of interest. Mr. Lorayne should reprint it.
- Ibidem. Also a goldmine.
- Genii is great, too. You have access to their online library (digital abo).
- The Palbearers Review. Have never read it, but many books I own often refer to this magazine. So it must be good I guess ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Apr 17, 2013
I have the original run of Tops from the 30s-60's. I think you can get them as a PDF now. Well worth the read.

Dec 18, 2007
Northampton, MA - USA
MAGICK by Bascom Jones, SYSYGY from Lee Earle and Stan Allen's MAGIC as well as Genii have been my primary favorites for years. There are some of the older bits that I've enjoyed but not as much.

Apr 6, 2011
Lansing, MI
So this thread inspired me to go purchase a subscription to Genii.. which gives me access to all of their back issues. Any suggested reads throughout there?

May 18, 2008
So this thread inspired me to go purchase a subscription to Genii.. which gives me access to all of their back issues. Any suggested reads throughout there?

With the digital issues? I'd pick a year and just start reading through. :)

I forgot about Syzygy. It's a good one, for sure. I'd love to get my hands on some original copies of it sometime.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results