Brand Spanking New and Looking for Advice

lordbd

Elite Member
Jun 26, 2013
Virginia
Ben here,

It's my first post, and the first time I am endeavoring to learn slight-of-hand as a new skill. I've been a long-time admirer of stage pickpockets like Apollo Robbins, Ricky Dunn, Bob Arno, etc. I am a pretty busy man, but like to have something to do with my hands when I'm reading and/or watching TV.

I was hoping that someone could recommend some basic beginner exercises to help me to develop sleight-of-hands skills. I'm starting from zero experience here.

Much appreciated!

Aug 16, 2011
Pick up J.B. BoBo's Modern Coin Magic. It is THE Bible on all sleight of hand with coins. Also, if you're into card sleights, pick up The Royal Road to Card Magic by Hugard and Braue. These 2 books can be found for under $10 each and are modern classics. Also, there is a search option here on Theory11 in the store that you can filter the tricks by difficulty. Anything with a green bar is 'Easy' yellow is 'Intermediate' and Red is 'Advanced'. Just go through and find some effects that you like from the trailer and start learning :) I'd definitely recommend picking up both of those books and also find out exactly what you want to focus on with sleight of hand, coins, cards, sponges, etc. I almost forgot...Welcome to Theory11!

lordbd

Elite Member
Jun 26, 2013
Virginia
Pick up J.B. BoBo's Modern Coin Magic. It is THE Bible on all sleight of hand with coins. Also, if you're into card sleights, pick up The Royal Road to Card Magic by Hugard and Braue. These 2 books can be found for under $10 each and are modern classics. Also, there is a search option here on Theory11 in the store that you can filter the tricks by difficulty. Anything with a green bar is 'Easy' yellow is 'Intermediate' and Red is 'Advanced'. Just go through and find some effects that you like from the trailer and start learning :) I'd definitely recommend picking up both of those books and also find out exactly what you want to focus on with sleight of hand, coins, cards, sponges, etc. I almost forgot...Welcome to Theory11!

Thanks octopus! Just got royal road at a used bookstore and am working on some basic shuffles.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
Coins will probably be a great choice for you since carrying coins is really easy and you're probably going to have them in your pockets already. Cards are great, too, and I often carry a deck with me just to have something to occupy my hands like you said.

Between Bobo's and RRTCM, you've easily got years worth of material to study.

Dec 18, 2007
Northampton, MA - USA
As the token Curmudgeon around here let me suggest that you invest into Bobo first and leave Royal Road alone for a while.

Why?

Because so many of us get addicted to card tricks and never learn to do anything other than card tricks, so give yourself a chance. Learning slights is A#1 so look into the Bill Tarr "Now You See it; Now Your Don't" books, they will give you some significant advantages. If you go to Stevens Magic you will find tons of videos on improvisational and Bar type magic, which sounds to be more of what you're after. I think there is a short series or trilogy out on "Bet Ya" type magic as well that you may enjoy.

If you are one of the few that still smoke, learn about cigarette controls and effects such as the famed Cig thru Coin (it made me comfy for many years).

Stay Away from Mentalism until you have some real experience in presenting and performing. It is a very performance heavy aspect of the magical arts and contrary to what magicians will tell you, it is not the same thing as magic. If you treat it as such you will loose and in ways audiences don't readily forget. There's a great deal of Mental magic out there to play with and you'll have loads of fun with it and if you download that PDF in the link you'll come to understand my world a little better.

I don't recall seeing anyone pointing you to the Mark Wilson, Tarbell or Joshua Jay Courses in Magic. All three are excellent but I'm only familiar with the first two directly. The Wilson Course will give you some foundation in a wide variety of areas while Tarbell is a far older tome that offers an even wider grasp on things. You can find the CD on Tarbell at Lybrary.com it's the best $30.00 you'll invest into your new hobby (NOTE: the physical collection of Tarbell sells for a bloody fortune now days, but it's always be expensive).

Royal Road is an excellent book as is Stars of Magic, the two bibles on card work when I was younger as were all of the Scarnes books. My issue, as I said, is too many guys get hooked on the paste boards because of convenience and the fact that magicians are cheap S.O.B.s ;-) so just let that side of things ride until you learn more of the other stuff. As my old sensei used to say, "you can always teach a boxer how to use his feet but you cannot teach 90% of the martial artists to use their hands." Magic is the same

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
Craig - in this case I didn't suggest the other staples because what it seems like he'd like is coins or cards.

Now You See Me is another good book for random sleight of hand.

I don't know any resources for thimble magic, but I have heard a story about a guy who did some amazing thimble work using chapstick caps. Would also be a good route for someone who's just thinking about occupying their hands.

Aug 31, 2007
Some great suggestions here. If you're interested just in sleight of hand magic, Bobo's and Royal Road are excellent starters.

If you are looking for pure skill, and something that will occupy your time, you may want to look into cardistry. Certainly not for everyone, but it may bea good fit. I would recommend Andrei Jikh's Genesis v1, which is a great start to the artform. If you want to take it slower, and start smaller, you could also go with this. Just prepare to put in plenty of hours ;)

Hope that helps, and good luck to you!

Apr 17, 2013
i would also suggest the Tarbell book. Not the 8 vol. version but the one giant book. You can buy it as a PDF for like $30. Also The Amateur Magician's Handbook by Hay is a great starting book.

Dec 18, 2007
Northampton, MA - USA
Christopher, didn't mean to slight you (no pun intended) I was just amazed to not see certain titles in the replies. . . Two of the better Thimble guys of the past were (drum roll) Mark Wilson and Shimada . . . there's a long story about Mark, Sponge balls and thimbles you really should track down if you can; has to do with the old Magic Circus years.

I know there are older resources on Thimble work which means you should start looking at the older shops like Abbotts and Magic Incorporated in Chicago.

lordbd

Elite Member
Jun 26, 2013
Virginia
Thanks for all of the suggestions!

What a helpful and welcoming community here on Theory11! I appreciate all of the great suggeestions. I'm starting with cards and coins and going from there. Got one of the cheaper theory11 cardistry vids and have already been able to complete the charlier cut. Never thought I would be able to learn it. Now I'm addicted. Sitting at an ASCH conference doing one-handed cuts while attending a lecture.

Apr 20, 2013
A little bit of agreement with Christopher and Craig, but a little bit objection too. It is true, however that most magicians are now getting too attached to cards ( as if there's no magic outside cards ) and that mentalism is not a good for for new-starters ( since mentalism needs a lot of presentation and performing experience or else you'll make mentalism as cheap as you can be ).

But in objection to Craig, I would find it okay if you take up the Royal Road right now. It contents simple yet basic and fundamental skills to be learned of and on top of it all, its extremely important. if you want to learn more on card sleights, you could find Card College by Roberto Giobbi or The Expert at Card Table by S.W.Erndase, but that only if you decided to go deeper in card sleights and tricks. ( since they contain advanced technique and sleights and actually not suggestible to new-starters )

To be honest, I would like to suggest you to learn something a little bit classical. Cups and Balls, Sponge Balls, etc. Magicians are kinda avoiding that area nowadays in a reason I don't even know. You could also take higher level of illusion if you're interested, such as Tarantula or Loops by Yigal Mesika, or even Smoke by Allan Rorrison or Pressure by Daniel Garcia! These are the magic that needs advanced skills and techniques ( so not for beginners ), but it would help to set a goal for your performance and progress in the future!

-SIN

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
Cups and balls won't do much for someone just looking to occupy their hands at the bar or while sitting around at a conference. Sponge balls, maybe, but who would want to carry them around?

I think you're missing the OP's original desire. He's not necessarily looking to become the super well rounded magician. He wants stuff he can do with hands while doing other things. That's why we're mentioning what we are.

Tarantula, loops, Smoke and Pressure are, if I may be blunt, poor suggestions for his needs at this time.

Thimbles, coins, cards ... random objects like salt-shaker tops or whatever. Basically - pure sleight of hand.

Apr 20, 2013
Ah yes, sorry I mumbled off and became out of topic.
But okay...
How about rubber bands?
it provide good exercises, right?

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
Ah yes, sorry I mumbled off and became out of topic.
But okay...
How about rubber bands?
it provide good exercises, right?

An excellent thought. I totally forgot about rubber bands and they take up almost no space. I'm struggling to remember the name of the book I've heard about. Someone will jump in I'm sure and give some titles. Also, Justin Miller just put out Light Speed on Ellusionist. It's a good routine to use when the rubber band breaks.

Apr 20, 2013
Well , the only stuffs that came up to my mind are : Cards, Coins, Rings, Rubber bands

I do several cuts and simple sybils when I'm bored, or do continuation of coin rolls and several simple vanishes and produces. These just not develop sleights, it sometimes attract attention. Ring Roll and several simple ring sleight ( as in Justin Miller's Divorce or Patrick Kun's Reflex ) also helps. I would suggest De'Vo DeRingz though if you are looking for just movements and sleights, though I doubt it is targeted to new-comers, hehehe..

Rubber Bands? I only prepare them for back-up, in case I would asked to perform suddenly, so I don't do much manipulation with them.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results