Should magicians use complex shuffles?

Jul 22, 2013
California
What I mean is, do you guys think that magicians should do fancy cuts and shuffles? My opinion is that tricksters (just felt like varying from the word 'magicians') shouldn't use them, because it shows how much control they have over the cards. If someone knows that you can get their card to the top of the deck with some quick cuts, they are much less likely to be amazed or surprised when you reveal their cards. What are your opinions?

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
I think this comes down to the style of performance. If your character is one that is flashy and shows off, then flourishes can compliment that.

If you want a magical feeling, though, avoid all displays of skill entirely. Displays of skill remove the concept of magic, because whatever is happening will be explained away by the skill being displayed.

I do think that extremely complicated stuff should not be mixed with magic at all. Only because they are confusing for anyone who is not educated in regards to flourishing. Confusion is not magic.

Aug 28, 2009
It really just depends on how you're presenting your material. If you want it to come off as real magic or something similar then displays of skill will reduce the verisimilitude of your performance. I prefer to call myself a "Playing Card Technician" as opposed to a magician because I don't present what I'm doing as magic, so it's appropriate for me to have flourishes in my performance.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results