List of Awesome Books

Sep 9, 2011
CA
Hey, guys. I'd like to get a list of really good intermediate/advanced books going. I want to do this because I know how hard it can be to find great books right now. Everything seems to be all about the DVDs and although there's nothing wrong with that, there is also some awesome material in older and newer books.So, let's make a list of books that are packed with awesome tricks.

I'll start it off with a list of my favorites:

Supermagic by Paul Harris - Somewhere around 20 tricks. Professional routines with a lot of visual magic including "Reset" and "Grasshopper" which I use in just about every table-hopping gig I get. Paul Harris' books are outstanding. This is my favorite from him.

Magician's Magic by Paul Curry - Not a whole lot of modern magic in it, but it does have the original "Out of this World" which is one of my favorite effects of all time that KILLS in every audience I've performed for. The rest of the book is mostly about really interesting magic history.

More Power To You by David Acer - 30+ routines. Tons of unique and entertaining magic in this book and it's hilarious just to read. You won't be disappointed if you buy it.

Approaching Magic by David Regal - David Regal is an entertaining GENIUS. The routines in this book and the patter that go with them are so much fun for audiences to watch. If you can't find something worth performing in those 500 pages, maybe magic isn't for you...(joking, of course. Don't get offended)

Life Savers by Michael Weber - A collection of improvised tricks that can be performed when you are out with your friends or family. A lot of them are so casual, that the magic is done in conversation and the magic moments are a huge surprise (you pretty much look like a wizard).

Card Fictions by Pit Harling - Outstanding card magic. This is some really professional stuff that is going to take some practice, but it pays off.

Off The Wall by Ben Harris - Another collection of some awesome magic. Great sandwich routines, tricks with coins, matchbooks, homemade gimmicks. Very unique, visual magic.

Self Working Table Magic by Karl Fulves - Fulves has a lot of books with "self working" in the name and this one is my favorite. I don't know that I've done any of these tricks professionally, but they can be done much like the tricks in "Lifesavers." More of a casual setting.

Beyond Deception by Tobias Beckwith - This book is packed with information designed to help you create magic. There are no tricks inside, but the techniques can help you create tricks and patter and with that information, you can do whatever you want.

Alright, let's keep the ball rolling!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Jul 13, 2010
If you have built a good library, you will NEVER EVER need any single DVD.
The DVDs I own are just for performances.
I don`t think it`s hard to find great books today. It`s easier than ever to find good quaity books. The problem is to decide which to choose. There are TONS of quality books. Far too much to list or read, let alone study, them all. My list of books I want is incredibly long!
Kaufman and Company, Vanishing. Inc, Hermetic Press, Davenports Magic, Dan&Dave, L&L Publishing, lybrary.com are good places for books and e-books, old and new.

Sep 1, 2007
And I don't mean books like Bobo's Coin Magic or Tarbell. More of the intermediate/advanced books that are just packed with awesome tricks.

You do realize that both of those texts have way more than just beginner material, right? The reason they get recommended so much is specifically because of how much value you get out of them. Hell, Lance Burton's entire stage show is straight out of Tarbell.

You're going to get a lot of recommendations on the sorts of books you're asking for anyway, so I might as well get the first thing out of the way: do not recommend mentalism. My advice for all magicians is to first learn the material in Karl Fulves' Self-Working Mental Magic. It's very underrated, easy to grasp while teaching some pretty key principles, and it's a good litmus test. Try the stuff in there and if it's something you're really interested in pursuing, go to Lybrary.com and get a copy of Bob Cassidy's Fundamentals.

The other thing I want to do is say that if you really want to start working on advanced material, then you should be performing for people. And that means you should be working on your scripting and performance theory. Thus my one big recommendation is to read more fiction. Some of my favorites:

Neil Gaiman
Edgar Rice Burroughs
H.P. Lovecraft
Richard Matheson
Ramsey Campbell
Jim Butcher
Robert E. Howard
Agatha Christie

I would also recommend watching The Twilight Zone on Netflix. The whole series.

Max Maven himself says in PRISM that performers have to learn from storytellers of all mediums. It's the most effective way to expand your creativity.

Jul 13, 2010
You have an excellent taste Steerpike. Robert E.Howard and H.P. Lovecraft, along with Clark Ashton Smith, are three of my favorite authors ;)
"The Case of Charles Dexter Ward" is my favorite book (novel) of all time. Bar none. I´ve read it more than 50 times. Every time I reread it I find another detail I´ve overlooked before.

Sep 9, 2011
CA
You do realize that both of those texts have way more than just beginner material, right? The reason they get recommended so much is specifically because of how much value you get out of them. Hell, Lance Burton's entire stage show is straight out of Tarbell.
All I meant was that most of the DVDs that people buy now are collections of tricks, without a lot of explanation on moves and sleights. I wanted to make a list of books that have the same goal. Of course I know the value of the material in Bobo and Tarbell's books, but that's not what this thread is about. Try reading and understanding before arguing.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
And I don't mean books like Bobo's Coin Magic or Tarbell. More of the intermediate/advanced books that are just packed with awesome tricks.

If you unclear in your statements, don't be surprised or get defensive when someone doesn't understand what you're saying. The statement I quoted implies that Bobo's and Tarbell are not intermediate or advanced and also not packed with awesome tricks.

I assume what you're going for is taking those foundational texts as given and looking for more resources as well?

Sep 9, 2011
CA
If you unclear in your statements, don't be surprised or get defensive when someone doesn't understand what you're saying. The statement I quoted implies that Bobo's and Tarbell are not intermediate or advanced and also not packed with awesome tricks.

I assume what you're going for is taking those foundational texts as given and looking for more resources as well?

All I wanted was a list of books, man. I'm sorry I apparently offended everybody, it wasn't my intention.

Dec 29, 2011
My two personal favourites:

Derren Brown: Pure Effect

Contains very detailed explanations of some of his older, but favourite effects. Rather difficult material, and to pull it off as well as he does is astounding. Also lots of performance theory and concepts to help your performances a little.

Derren Brown: Absolute Magic

Essays on various performance theory matters. His ideas on magic as art, how close up magic relates to theater and various elements in between.

Jul 23, 2013
I'm currently reading Magic in Mind by Joshua Jay and its got some really interesting essays in it, not only about tricks and presentation but also about development as a performer.

Best thing is it's free from Vanishing inc, or at least it was. Definitely worth a look.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results