Surrounded with microphone in hand

Jebzy

Elite Member
Jun 22, 2012
Latvia
Hey!

I saw the thread about my problem, but in there was too much tricks.
My problem is that, I need to show a trick to a lot of people (50<), that's a lot for me. I am in surrounded stage, and the biggest problem is that I will have a microphone in my hand, so just one hand is free. Maybe I can do magic without talking, but I like to talk... I think then it is more funny.
Something about me - I am mostly cards magician, but can do a bit of other things. But that's not matter, if it is a good trick i will definitely buy and learn it well.

I hope that you can help me. Thanks.

-Jebzy-

Jebzy

Elite Member
Jun 22, 2012
Latvia
I can practice as long as I want, it is like free stage and you can do what you want, that happens every Friday, it is not required, but I just want to try. ;)
No, I have to hold microphone in hand.

Bryson G.

Elite Member
Jun 13, 2013
You May Have to be Flexible

So in its simplest form, you want ALL of this in a trick/routine...
  • It should be angle-proof
  • It should probably be a card trick, from what you said in your skill set
  • It should be done in one hand
  • It should be funny
Now there might have to be some sacrifice here. If you want to really amaze people and have a true magic show, then you would need both hands, and you would probably need to sacrifice talking. I guess you could do like mentalism, but as some other members of the forum say "It's not recommended without lots of performance experience." You could do like a one handed trik where you find a card, I believe Brian Brushwood on Scamschool taught something like that. If you really want to talk during the trick, your magic will PROBABLY have to be a minimal part. Think Kyle Eschen. I would personally reccomend doing something set to music.

Sep 1, 2007
I guess you could do like mentalism, but as some other members of the forum say "It's not recommended without lots of performance experience."

And considering most of us who say that are actual mentalists, there might be something to it.

I have one huge question: Why do you not have access to a mic stand at this?

Jebzy

Elite Member
Jun 22, 2012
Latvia
You mention being funny. I assume you have a comedy act? How good are you with people?
I want to try to make a funny act, with some jokes. I am usually performing magic in streets, and.... I think I am good with people.

I have one huge question: Why do you not have access to a mic stand at this?
I don't know why, nobody are using mic stand, but if I ask maybe I will get one, but if the crowd is surrounded to which side I have to look.

OK, I will change my question - What are the best card tricks to surrounded audience (with mic stand )?

Thanks for answers.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
If you have the people skills you can just pull someone out of the crowd to be your mic stand. "I need someone to do something very important. Come here. Here, hold your hand out like this... " *Adjust hand to appropriate level, change hand position, etc* "Good! Good! Now stay still." *Place mic into their hand* Then throughout the performance you pause, look at the person holding the mic and make a minor adjustment. This may not work for you, but I've done stuff like that and it's usually easy to get a few laughs out of it.

If you've already got a solid repertoire of card tricks you can probably look through that and figure out what's good to use. Things like Cards Across, Invisible Deck, predictions, cards to impossible locations, etc.

Bryson G.

Elite Member
Jun 13, 2013
OK, I will change my question - What are the best card tricks to surrounded audience (with mic stand )?

I think a Card to Ceiling would be really cool in that environment. Especially the moment where they all look up. I also agree with Cards Across. Mago Migue has a DVD set Allegro with a really great Cards Across routine.

Steerpike said:
And considering most of us who say that are actual mentalists, there might be something to it.
Yeah, I wasn't disagreeing, I just don't have enough experience to tell others that myself.

CalvinTan

Elite Member
Hey!

I saw the thread about my problem, but in there was too much tricks.
My problem is that, I need to show a trick to a lot of people (50<), that's a lot for me. I am in surrounded stage, and the biggest problem is that I will have a microphone in my hand, so just one hand is free. Maybe I can do magic without talking, but I like to talk... I think then it is more funny.
Something about me - I am mostly cards magician, but can do a bit of other things. But that's not matter, if it is a good trick i will definitely buy and learn it well.

I hope that you can help me. Thanks.

-Jebzy-

I'm assuming this venue is not meant for magic because of these factors. I would recommend watching a lot of mimes. A silent magic act, using your body and gestures to tell a story or communicate to the audience. You have to exaggerate your movements and facial expressions. Move around the stage, so you don't keep one side of your audience to your back for prolong periods of time. These movements would probably also help misdirect to help shade or cover some sleights.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results