Crash Course in Business, part II

Sep 1, 2007
Originally I was going to talk about building a website, but I decided instead to talk about something a little more important.

Find Your Target Audience

The problem I see all too often with magicians and other artists trying to make it as solo entrepreneurs is that they make no attempt to figure out who their product/service is for. We live in an era where the market is more specialized than ever and traditional means of advertising and marketing are swiftly becoming obsolete, but no one asks the really important questions first.

As of writing, The Lone Ranger is the biggest financial bomb in Hollywood. It opened at number one at the box office, but it couldn't hold onto it for long and started slipping down the line quickly as word of mouth sunk it. The core problem with the movie? The producers at no point seemed to ask themselves who the movie was for. The Lone Ranger was an iconic Western story about justice and decency vs. corruption. The title hero used silver bullets to remind himself that life was precious and violence was a last resort. It was a good old-fashioned, two-fisted heroic slice of Americana. And the movie spent it's whole running time thumbing its nose at that premise. They turned Tanto into a loon, the Ranger himself into a barely competent "sleeping giant" and made the plot overly convoluted because hey! It worked for Christopher Nolan! It spent 90 minutes deriding its source material. Who was the target audience here? Fans of the old TV show aren't going to appreciate the pointless amount of grit shoveled into the script, nor will they like seeing their youthful memories spit upon so disrespectfully. Fans of Westerns hated it because it wasn't a Western, it was just another Pirates of the Caribbean sequel with trains instead of boats. Action fans probably don't want to see all the pointless faffing about considering there actually aren't that many big set-piece-based action sequences, and most of those were already shown in the trailer anyway. And that's to say nothing of the implicit racist and sexist imagery that's going to irritate a lot of other people.

No one at Disney stopped to ask themselves who this movie was for. And it's the same mistake 90% of magicians make.

I recall a few months ago sitting in on one of my father's boot camps about marketing, lead generation, and building a reliable client base. One of the hand-outs talked about psychographics, the different categories of buyers in the market based on the psychological needs they're trying to fulfill. One of the participants was a jewelry seller who said she didn't want to pick just one or two psychographics to sell to because it would be a shame to leave all the others out. You know what that's called? Desperation. The brutal truth of the matter is that no one can sell to everyone. You have to narrow your market.

That's not to say that it's impossible to find yourself with broad appeal. When Hasbro launched The Hub network, it's purpose was to create shows that could sell toys. To sustain the network, they needed shows that parents would be okay with their kids watching. To revive My Little Pony they got Lauren Faust (of the Powerpuff Girls, Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends, and The Iron Giant) to be the executive producer. She created a show parents would want to watch too. The result, My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, ended up connecting with an entire periphery demographic of young men through good writing, likable characters, stylish animation, and an infectious charm. At this point, if you don't know what bronies are, you have officially been living under a rock for the last 3 years.

But there's a caveat here. Neither Faust nor Hasbro ever imagined that this periphery demographic would take off. To their credit, they saw an opportunity and ran with it. But they didn't bet the farm on it happening in the first place.

So now consider yourself. What are you good at? What material do you perform consistently well? What sort of people does this appeal to? What would your ideal client look like? Where does that sort of person go? What circles do they typically run in? Are they looking for escapism? Prestige? Novelty?

This is a process that one rarely gets right the first time. It took me a while to find demographics that work for me, and the same is true of most working pros. You have to know when to quit on one pursuit if there is no perceivable pay-off at the end of the initial slog. If pursuing one demographic/psychographic is going nowhere, cut your losses and find another one.

You have to proactively get out there and find these people. Don't just put your videos on YouTube and expect money and groupies to come to you. But don't shotgun either by buying newspaper ads indiscriminately. Again, you have to target your market to places that you know your market is going to see it.

Sit down right now and ask yourself all of those questions. I want you to be able to envision your ideal client in front of you by the time you finish. With that done, we'll talk next week about how to be remarkable enough that they'd actually want to give you their business.

Sep 2, 2007
London
Excellent advice as usual, Steerpike. I'd like to add a little extra on if I may. You advise people to consider themselves, what they're good at and what they perform consistently well, and to base their ideal client on that. Now, in some circumstances, I suggest that we might have to put an additional step in there. There should come a point where we consider whether what we're currently good at and what we're currently like as performers is really what we want to be, or whether it's just a rut we've slipped into.

Take Derren Brown for example. He used to perform table-hopping in a restaurant because that's what paid the bills, and he was good at it. It would have been easy for him to spend his whole time looking for clients who offered similar walk-around performance opportunities and pursue them full-bloodedly. It's not what he wanted to do ultimately though. He wanted to work in a more controlled environment, which he found initially through corporate gigs, private bookings for small-groups and, ultimately, through TV and stage shows.

So, my point here is that we may very well have developed a strong repertoire of material and excellent performance skills for kids parties, walk-around, trade-shows or whatever else it is we currently do, without our ambition being more of the same. Therefore, when we've asked ourselves what we're good at and what material we perform consistently well, we should also ask ourselves, if we had to do that type of show for the next twenty years as our sole way of making a living, would we feel happy and fulfilled? If the honest answer's no, then I believe we should go back to the drawing board and develop a new style of performance that suits the performer we would ideally like to be. Then go looking for clients for that guy.

Sep 1, 2007
So, my point here is that we may very well have developed a strong repertoire of material and excellent performance skills for kids parties, walk-around, trade-shows or whatever else it is we currently do, without our ambition being more of the same. Therefore, when we've asked ourselves what we're good at and what material we perform consistently well, we should also ask ourselves, if we had to do that type of show for the next twenty years as our sole way of making a living, would we feel happy and fulfilled? If the honest answer's no, then I believe we should go back to the drawing board and develop a new style of performance that suits the performer we would ideally like to be. Then go looking for clients for that guy.

A legit point. Sometimes we evolve into different roles. No matter what, it always remains true that you can't please everybody. Even if you move on to a different market, you still have to keep focused on that and not waste your energy pursuing tangential markets and clients who in all likelihood aren't interested in what you're offering.

I've seen magicians who try to do kids parties, seances, geek magic, mentalism and comedy magic. At once. They try to market each type of show to a different audience simultaneously with no focus or regard for actually developing a niche. Business is as Darwinian as nature. If you aren't the best at what you do in your niche, then you're going to be left behind. That niche might change over time, but you still have to be devoted to it.

Apr 20, 2013
@Steerpike

What is your advice on marketing ourselves?
I mean, lots of us would just busk around town while handing over business cards. Some will go directly into a corporation or event organizer and offer their talent.
What do you think would be best and effective on this particular area? I'm quite having a hard time especially around my area.

Thanks.

Sep 1, 2007
I'll be going into more detail on this as the series goes on, but here's a few broad strokes to start.

Business cards are weird. You need them, but they're also the worst form of marketing. Magicians have come up with dozens, if not hundreds of effects to encourage people to hang onto them instead of just throwing them into a junk drawer, but my experience is that just improves the odds of them being useful by a slim margin. Nevertheless, it is expected of you to have them.

The two most effective marketing techniques of all in my experience are referral marketing and direct mail.

Referral marketing is when a connection opens a door for you. I started doing memory workshops for assisted living centers because a friend of mine knows the activities director of one close to my home. These organizations talk to one another, so that opened more doors for me to do more workshops. Referral marketing takes time however as you have to build relationships before they feel comfortable introducing you to prospective clients.

Direct mailing is like cold calling without the soul-crushing grind on your self-confidence. You make a list of possible clients and mail them a sales letter. You follow up with a call to see if they're interested. If they're not, politely thank them for their time. Then, every month, send them another mailer asking if anything has changed and follow that up with a call as well. One gig is usually enough to pay for the whole thing and still make a profit. On occasion, you'll get some people who just give you the gig to shut you up.

I'll go into more detail on these approaches in another thread in a couple weeks.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
Referral marketing is when a connection opens a door for you. I started doing memory workshops for assisted living centers because a friend of mine knows the activities director of one close to my home. These organizations talk to one another, so that opened more doors for me to do more workshops. Referral marketing takes time however as you have to build relationships before they feel comfortable introducing you to prospective clients.

Not to drag you to the point you're not at yet, I just want to support this statement by saying every 'good' gig I've gotten has been through referral. That includes mundane jobs and performances. My troupe is looking at being booked for this big church bizarre in Oct, for which the budget is in the range of, "Whatever you charge will probably be fine". We're getting that gig because one of our clients had us do a birthday party a couple months ago and those people recommended us to the church group. We got that gig because my girlfriend's mother constantly shows people pictures of our performances.

Nothing beats word of mouth, because no advertising in the world can match, "I saw them, and they were awesome."

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results