Huge tips on the Pinky Count

Pete Pridanonda

Elite Member
Jun 13, 2009
Pinky count is definitely one of my favorite sleights when I am performing card magic. I've been practicing this move for many years and I am proud to say that I've finally perfected it. Unfortunately, a lot of magicians that I see perform this move doesn't take time into really perfecting the sleight and for that reason, their pinky count is very noticeable. Here I've listed some advice that will hopefully improve all of your pinky count:
1. DO NOT squeeze the cards!!!! Many people push down on the cards with their pinky and thumb and as a result, the deck of cards bend downwards as they are doing the count. Try to have as little pressure on the deck as possible.
2. Keep ALL of your fingers as still as possible!!!! A LOT of people either extend their ring finger or even worse, move their middle finger along with it. Have all of your fingers against the side of the deck and RELEASE the pressure on the pinky to execute the cont, NOT pull down with the pinky.
3. PRACTICE!!!!!
Here is the video of my performance of the pinky count:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARiRHE_PULQ

Sep 9, 2013
Scotland
I'm afraid to say that I'm one of those magicians that didn't take the time to practice the pinky count and now I'm pretty jealous! I'm going to take your tips on board Pete and practice! Thanks :)

Pete Pridanonda

Elite Member
Jun 13, 2009
Why don't you keep your ring finger on the cards to prevent "popping"?

That might work but in my opinion, if the popping is not too much, the audience won't notice it. The pinky count is usually done under some sort of misdirection.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results