SNC Idea - Contribute to T11 Purpose

Sep 7, 2011
Estonia
In the Media Guidelines Theory11 has written:

"The purpose of this site is to inspire, to entertain, to challenge, and to have some fun in the process."

My suggestion is that this could be the theme for the contest- members should post magic related content that serves this purpose- inspires, entertains, challenges and creating/sharing the content should be fun for members.

Here are few suggestions:

1. Write a story about why/how you got into magic.
2. Demonstrate your original creation.
3. Demonstrate your original patter for an effect.
4. Show your artwork (for ex a custom designed playing card).
5. Make a video talking about an inspiring experience you have had when performing (if possible, show it)
6. Make a video talking about an inspiring experience you had when you saw a performance of this art that really inspired you. (if possible, link it)
7. Maybe it's a picture that captures the essence of the purpose for you.
8. It could be a video you have made that carries this feeling.
9. Maybe you even have a music piece or a poem you have created that has "a touch of magic" in it.
10. Why not find someone to interview, whose knowledge/experiences could contribute to the magic community.
11. Talk about a DVD/book you feel has really helped you to develop as an artist/performer.
12. Share how magic has touched you.
13. Share how you have touched someone with your magic. (Keep it appropriate! :) )

Be creative to use your talents and passions to come up with whatever content that serves this community.

I know it's not maybe as meaningful as guessing random cards picked from a deck :D but I think this contest would do exactly what the purpose of the site is- I think it would inspire, entertain and challenge the members of this community + we would create content for this site that actually contributes back to it's purpose.

DEADLINE
Why not until the next contest, then people would have time to put some dedication into the entry + no-one would be left out just because they live in a different time-zone, which usually is a problem with SNC for many forum members:
Come on, this contest was a little unfair, since when you had time to post your entries, it was night over here.

POLL
Theory11 could create a poll for community members to rate the entries. So the winner would be picked by T11 and the community together.

The idea comes from TylerRouss:
How about whenever you guys don't feel like watching dozens of videos, you just do a community poll for the winner?

REWARDS
And how about rewarding more members than just one? Idea expressed by Pav:
I like the idea of having a first, second and third prize. For example, 1st prize gets 6-12 decks, 1000 points, recent magic releases etc...2nd place could get 2 decks of cards and 500 elite points, and 3rd place could just get 250 elite points. You guys frequently say that you have trouble picking an absolute best of the best, so this could ease up that process a bit.

If the whole idea seems too much to handle, I would say better one proper contest per month that produces high value content for this site, than
*"@£$%* every week that turns this community into a Bingo Club producing this! :D ...not complaining, just my observation and feedback... I think T11 and we together could come up with something better...

We people usually want to be involved with something that is fun and meaningful, so turning to Theory11's purpose to create a meaningful contest seemed like a good idea.

Community is having fun creating and sharing what they actually care about and gets prizes for doing it!
Theory11 gets higher level of engagement from the community and good meaningful content for the site.

Win-Win

Don't you think?

Johannes

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 7, 2011
Estonia
Isn't there a thread for posting SNC ideas already?

Yes there is... I read it... That's why I started this thread... Here's a recap of the general mood and the recent opinions that were expressed in the thread:

Why not do a challenge that focuses on the audiences reactions?...

I really don't think this is too much to ask. It would be a refreshing change of pace from all the recent contests that have all either been, "SHOW ME YOUR MOVES!!" or, "Say the secret word and win a hundred dollars."

I've always liked the contests where you actually need to create something in order to win

...I think it would be nice to have a contest that actually requires you to show us a full presentation...

...I just got a little riled up looking back over the past few months contest at how many have been repeats and/or just plain boring. The SNC's are my favorite part about the Theory11 community!!! Make them count.

The next one was my favourite:
why not lets gather this Saturday night and think upon something bigger and innovative

This week's contest in which all you're asked to do is submit a picture of your disembodied hand holding a T11 deck is quite possibly the worst idea you guys have had yet... Am I the only one thinking that this is kind of cheap?...

I think that all of the Theory11 artists should have a cage match to the death.

There is truly no reason to do any more lottery or chance based "contests."...It disappoints me every time I see a lottery.

Given the complete lack of response so far, I think it's safe to say that no one who works for Theory 11 reads this thread anymore, if they ever did.

Soooo... Taking that into consideration, I thought making a new thread was justified... I hope this helps to bring the community's concerns and ideas to T11's attention...

In my opinion my suggestion embraces many of the good ideas the community has come up with and at the same time addressing the issues members have expressed (lack of meaning- pointless/cheap contests, time-zone factor, motivation to participate etc).

I'm just saying...

Johannes

Sep 7, 2011
Estonia
This sounds thus as you wanted to say that Theory11 must get revenge with the Members - or do I misapprehend this?

Sorry, I mixed up two sentences. I edited it now. This is what I wanted to say:

Community is having fun creating and sharing what they actually care about and gets prizes for doing it!
Theory11 gets higher level of engagement from the community and good meaningful content for the site.

Win-Win

Mar 22, 2013
Munich / Germany

Yea, but most people only take part in the contests because there's something to win. But as soon as one must really do something, the number of the contest participants clearly decreases - what leads back us again at the beginning of this thread...

Mar 22, 2013
Munich / Germany
Sorry I didn't follow that... I expressed many ideas... what are you exactly referring to?

Sorry, I was referring to this part of your post:

If the whole idea seems too much to handle, I would say better one proper contest per month that produces high value content for this site, than
*"@£$%* every week that turns this community into a Bingo Club producing this! ...not complaining, just my observation and feedback... I think T11 and we together could come up with something better...

CaseyRudd

Director of Operations
Team member
Jun 5, 2009
Charleston, SC
www.instagram.com
These are GREAT ideas that we'll absolutely consider and chat with the team about this week. We are always open and excited to hear suggestions and feedback from the community, and this thread has some GREAT ideas throughout! We really do appreciate the feedback!

- Casey

Sep 7, 2011
Estonia
These are GREAT ideas that we'll absolutely consider and chat with the team about this week. We are always open and excited to hear suggestions and feedback from the community, and this thread has some GREAT ideas throughout! We really do appreciate the feedback! - Casey

Thanks! I'm just glad I could contribute... This week's contest you just announced is quite cool... I assumed you wouldn't have time to consider the ideas for this Saturday, but I'm excited to see what you will come up with for the coming week!

yyyyyyy

Elite Member
Apr 7, 2012
If I could change anything about the SNC system, I would add a 2nd and 3rd place to the winners circle. There are always so many honorable mentions, I feel like it would make sense to just pick a 1st, 2nd and 3rd. 1st could get the typical SNC prize package, some newly released or anticipated Theory 11 item + 1000 points. 2nd could get just 500 points or a deck of Monarchs or something. 3rd can get 250 points.

I also think that there should be a sort of "SNC Record" in your account. Something that displays which contests you've won and what place you came in. You could even add a medal system, where the winners get a gold, silver or bronze emblem added to their record. It could be a whole separate part of the Elite system.

The point of both of these changes is to make SNCs feel a little more significant, something worth getting into the competitive spirit over. The incentive system is more flexible and more people will walk away feeling accomplished.

j.bayme

ceo / theory11
Team member
Jul 23, 2007
New York City
So many great ideas in this thread - THANK YOU and please know that we're listening. Our team will review all of these suggestions and act on whatever we can, as quickly as we can. Very much appreciated - always grateful for feedback!

Jun 19, 2013
What I think about this is its fine the way it is because sometimes you need to lose to win by that I mean you learn from your mistakes or losses and also if they added 2nd and 3rd place then I'm assuming the 1st place prize wouldn't be as amazing and awesome as they are now atleast that's what I think. By the way sorry about the response on top it was a mistake this is what it's supposed to be.

yyyyyyy

Elite Member
Apr 7, 2012
How would having a 2nd and 3rd place make 1st place less appealing? I don't think anyone who's won a gold medal at the Olympics is complaining about it because two other athletes got silver and bronze medals. 1st place is unaffected, it's still the "best".

Sep 7, 2011
Estonia
How would having a 2nd and 3rd place make 1st place less appealing? I don't think anyone who's won a gold medal at the Olympics is complaining about it because two other athletes got silver and bronze medals. 1st place is unaffected, it's still the "best".

I agree. I think having more prizes would motivate participants to be more dedicated and put more work into their submissions.

Sep 1, 2007
What I think about this is its fine the way it is because sometimes you need to lose to win by that I mean you learn from your mistakes or losses and also if they added 2nd and 3rd place then I'm assuming the 1st place prize wouldn't be as amazing and awesome as they are now atleast that's what I think.

I don't buy that logic. Never did. It's purely in the camp of the annoying business major philosophy: everything is win/lose. The idea that the success of others, even if it's a lesser success, diminishes your own is what gets people to stab each other in the back. Does anyone here really think the magic community needs more of that?

Sep 7, 2011
Estonia
...stab each other in the back. Does anyone here really think the magic community needs more of that?

Let me think... Hmmmm, nope!

Actually my ponderings about an ideology of success is part of the reason why I started the thread... As I see- purpose is what should be in the core of success- it doesn't matter are we talking about an individual or a company. If one truly focuses on fulfilling one's purpose the best one can, then a true success is created...

And coming from this... I encourage everyone to ask this question once in a while as you go through your life doing... (fill in the blank)

"What's the point? WHY am I doing it/want to do it? What is the purpose?"

The quality of our questions determine the quality of our thinking... That's why I thought bringing up "purpose" can be a good idea...

Johannes

Apr 6, 2011
Lansing, MI
As I stated in my most recent post in the original thread, I really think that SNC's have the potential to be the single biggest community developer that Theory11 has to offer. I think it could be bigger than the wire, the general forums, or even the actual effects they release. As history has shown, there is no better drive to improve than competition. If serious time, energy, and thought were put into trying to reach the potential SNC's have, I think people would be blown away by the results that we see: in the community, in ourselves, and in theory11.

This is a pretty awesome thread! Keep it going guys! I absolutely love the attitude that you two (The Mengel Brothers) have towards... well its starting to seem like just about everything. Not only intelligent, but you know how to mediate, how to appeal. It's great guys.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results