Draven Review's NB3

Title: NB3
Artist: Chase Duncan
Producers: Theory11
Link: http://store.theory11.com/products/nb3-by-chase-duncan
Retail Price: $6.95 USD
Learning Difficulty: Hard
Length of Digital Download: 30 Minutes
Notes: This effect is a Digital Download of over 1.3 gigs. Strong internet connection recommended.

Includes:
• Instructional Video Download

Over 30 minutes of high def video tutorial for three amazing card flourishes by new comer Chase Duncan.

I am not a cardist. I personally can’t stand the over commerciality found within the XCM/ Cardistry movement. Unless done within the confines of a well structured routine to state without words that the performer is an unparalleled expert at sleight of hand there is little to no room within the working world of the professional magician to delve into this niche hobby of card juggling for any reason other than it personally amuses them to do so. After having said all that I feel like an absolute hypocrite for liking NB3. I want to hate this video. I want to hate everything about it but for some reason I’m going to end up scoring this thing higher than I score most products. It’s just a hunch I have going into it, and that’s probably predicated by Theory11’s insanely high production standards.

Speaking of Theory11 they have invested a great amount of time and money carving out this niche they seem to have fondness for in cardistry; a kind of juggling with cards formally known as XCM as branded by De’vo of Handlordz fame. Everything in this video from its alpha-numeric name, its dubstep intro, and even the cardistry subject matter is obviously aimed at a younger audience. Teens to twenties will eat this video up like candy while the older seasoned pros will more than likely find its sequence of flashy cuts and talk-see-do tutorial style tiresome at best. However for what it is, that being three very flashy cuts, it certainly has its merit among the card workers who would rather show their audience just how skilled they are as opposed to just telling them. If actions speak louder than words then performing these three cuts in the middle of your card set is like yelling into a microphone system loud enough for the whole of New York City to hear you.

The moves in the download are difficult. Granted they are all based on Sybil, Charlier, and Revolution cuts but if you haven’t mastered those three then you are going to be fighting an uphill battle until the moves become easier to execute. Even if you are familiar with the base moves, these three flourishes will take some practice to get smooth. Duncan’s teaching style is easy enough to listen to, and the high definition quality of the video, and multiple camera angles, make study of the techniques easier than had it been shot with a single camera on a tripod like some of the magic product tutorials that are available on the market. Honestly I wouldn’t have expected this much attention and quality to be given to a product that costs less than a Happy Meal. So there is definitely a lot of value for your dollar here.

About the only problem I have with this video is the overall practicality of the product. I am not a cardist, as I’ve already stated, and unless you are buying this to indulge your hobby impulses or are a serious card worker and need to look well polished, then this product simply isn’t for you. There is very little inherent entertainment value in the material presented here by itself. But if you like cardistry, love flashy moves, want to challenge your manual dexterity, or want to keep pace with one of the fastest growing fads in magic then this product is something that you shouldn’t be without.

Overall I can’t be too upset with this purchase. I’m not out much money and the product is more useful than Alpha Cards, then again a steaming pile of dog crap is more useful than those atrocities, and the production quality is top grade. This isn’t something I would see myself using, but I know it is something a lot of people out there reading this review will enjoy so I’m going to go ahead and endorse it. If you like cardistry then you’ll love this download and to that I say at less than $7 bucks you really don’t have much to lose.

When I give my product scores below I am measuring them on a scale of 1 to 10. 1 Being absolute the worst score possible, and 10 being the absolute best, making a score of five average. The four points that I grade upon is Product Quality, Teaching Quality, Sound & Video Quality and Over all Quality.

Product Quality: 8
Flashy, unpractical, and difficult to learn. However great price, and excellent visuals.

Teaching Quality: 9
Chase has a unique style all his own, and his teaching paired with multiple high def camera angles make learning these three flourishes as easy as they can make it.

Video & Sound Quality: 9
The sound and video quality were exceptionally good for a less than $10 dollar direct to download video. Bravo Theory11 for setting the bar for instant download quality.

Over All Quality: 9
This product isn’t for everyone though, and the learning curve may very well be enough to keep some people at bay. Should you buy it? Honestly if you like cardistry, flashy moves, or showing your audience your mad skills with cards without having to sound like an egomaniac in saying so bluntly yourself, then this video is something you need to own.

attachment.php

Jun 22, 2013
New York
OK if this is that much effective then i am all set to have the product and for the most good it is coming with the seal of approval as well .. great !

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results