Misdirection

Sep 9, 2013
Scotland
A few days ago I attempted a card under box routine but during the second phase they had caught me! (I did not screw up!) That same night, I also performed rope, nut and knot by Giovanni Lavera and everything went perfect until the last phase. I did fool most of them but there was a few people that caught me once again! (This was a different audience). I just want to know a few tips and tricks that could help me in the future as I want to really improve my misdirection skills!

Thanks guys!

Jun 5, 2013
Hungary
You may want to focus more on your story telling and eye contant. Keep in mind that wherever you look they look at the same place. Do not make a big deal out of the "moves" you do during your performance because if you do, they will notice that there is someting wrong. Just do everything casually and be calm.
Personally, I practice misdirection (basically the tricks) on my friends and family. They tend to help me a lot.
I hope I gave you some useful advices.

Colin

Elite Member
Jan 25, 2013
Practice and experience. With out being able to see the performances you mention it is impossible to say exactly where things went wrong but it still comes down to practice (don't practice until you get it right, practice until it is impossible for you to get it wrong. Then practice more.) and experience.

You say you did not screw up, so did they catch you because they were standing at the wrong angle? You can practice the slights & routines alone but need the experience of live preforming to get the audience control down and in the beginning that may mean that you will get caught here & there. Self confidence play a pretty big role in your mis-direction skills and that comes from experience.

Also if you have people that you show things to first/early on make sure they are being honest when giving feed back. Being told something is great when it is still only mediocre does far more harm than good.

Jul 13, 2010
"Getting the mis out of misdirection" is a wondeful essay by Tommy Wonder. You can find it in the "Books of Wonder" or for free in the "Magic in Mind" (best free ebook ever) ebook by Vanishing Inc.
It will improve your direction skills. At least theoretically ;)

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
You need to scrap the entire of idea of getting caught because that is exactly "how" you are going to get good at it. Over numerous (and I mean about a hundred or more) performances of the same routine / effect you will get it down. I watched Eric Jones up at Abbott's close up convention do a coin routine not two feet in front of me to an audience at a table and he ended up putting a coin on a shoulder without anyone even seeing or catching on. I told him afterwards that I thought it was a ballsy move but he told me that he had done it over and over and over again and did get caught in the beginning. He had conditioned the guy to feel his touch on his should a few times prior to placing the coin. It was very cool to watch it all unfold because I knew what to look for. It was amazing.

Oct 23, 2010
Colorado Springs
mirrors?

I agree with Rick's advice. Have you practiced your angles with mirrors? Tarbell's talks about how important this is and almost 100 years later, it is still one of the best ways to see what "they" see.

Jan 11, 2013
Dubai
its hard to answer without seeing your performance, but I would suggest reading anything by Tom Stone or Tommy Wonder when it comes to misdirection, two of the best thinkers when it comes to the subject.

Dec 18, 2007
Northampton, MA - USA
Colin was on mark when he said that you must practice in such a way that allows the handling to become an automatic action/some thing you needn't think about.

In the martial arts world we would teach newbies that throwing a kick properly 100 times programs it to the body's memory but throwing that same kick 1,000 makes it a matter of nature; there is not thought in the process, the body will do what must be done. Same is true when it comes to all aspects of magic and effective handling.

Misdirection is a unique skill in that we must each find our own footing based on personality, energy level, etc. If however, you are the sort that has a high level of "bouncy" energy and are able to jazz your audience, you can get away with some crazy stuff (just watch Goshman doing his Bowl & Sponge routine). Even on stage there is a truth to this; Blackstone, Sr. used to produce an elephant on stage in a puff of smoke. There was not big box or anything it was pure misdirection, the same thing exploited by Franz Harrary when he made a Piper Cub air plane appear on stage. . . there's along list of of examples but in each case you will find hundreds if not thousands of hours poured into learning every nuance involved with the desired out come.

"I Did Not Mess Up" are the famous last words of the world's worse magician. . . whenever their is failure in an effect IT'S OUR FAULT, end of story. We may not have blocked things out properly, we're not watching our angles, our patter is weak or, as you have tabled, our ability to get the audience to focus where we need them to during that covert action needs some direction . . .

"Direction" is the key however. Find a handful of people you trust, ideally a couple of non-magicians with strong theatrical background as well as a couple of magicians that are solid technicians with a real world working resume. LISTEN TO THEM when it comes to their guidance in how to make the effect stronger and it will get you there.

Best of luck!

Aug 17, 2012
Tommy Wonder articulated a better name - DIRECTION - (Although he probably wasn't the first to stumble across it).
It was the idea that instead of trying to force someone to look away from a secret move or action, we should direct someone's attention toward an object of interest.

Also, I went to a convention and while someone was lecturing he talked about 'brutal misdirection' this is where for example, a move would be detected other than if people weren't looking. In performance purposes, you needed to change a card, so you tell them to look at the card in their hand, or show everyone the card in their hand - thus allowing you to perform the change undetected.

Hope this helps.

Aug 31, 2007
Lots of great suggestions thus far - Apollo Robbins is easily one of the top experts on misdirection. One of the biggest components as a few guys said here already is making your spectators comfortable. The more comfortable they are, they easier it is to get away with things.

Aside from that (not to mention the other great advice in this thread), constant performing is a cure-all for most problems like these. The more you perform the same routine, the more comfortable you'll become, the more comfortable the audience becomes and you works out all the kinks along the way.

Anyone else have any good demonstrations of misdirection, like the Apollo clips above? Might help as well :)

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results