HELP: Carbon Paper

Apr 20, 2013
Hello, T11.
It's been a longtime since I even posted on the forum ( I'm away from internet for some time, so going online is impossible )

Anyway, recently I dug up my old DVDs of magic and re-watch and re-learn some of them. Then I opened Wayne Houchin's Art of Magic.

In this DVD, he teaches the Carbon Paper trick by Jay Sankey. In which the performance requires us to heat up 'cards' so the back of them will be colored carbon black. however, whenever i tried this on my practice, the card does not only turn hot and black, it would rather crumple up and squeeze, which ofcourse would be counted as a failure. are there any of you who have any tips for this to work? thanks.

_SIN

Mar 22, 2013
Munich / Germany
Play around with the distance and the angle, you're holding the card in.
I had the same issue when I was just learning the effect, but I found a position in which
I don't have this problem...

Hope that helps!

I found using a zippo on this effect pointless. Be sure to use a regular bic type lighter. My issue with this effect is the recently burned card warps.

Any tips on keeping it from warping would be greatly appreciated.

I don't have Wayne Houchin's Art of Magic, but I do own the Secret Files DVDs by Jay Sankey. He advises to experiment scorching the card at different angles and distances to get the right marking-- in my opinion, less is more in this case. I've used Zippo lighters to prepare/perform this effect just fine.

After preparing the card, warping is natural. Put the card in a press or under a stack of heavy books overnight. The wrinkles will eventually even out and become copacetic with the rest of the deck.

RS.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results