An Incredible Vanish! Help?

Oct 14, 2013
Okay guys. I'm on another hunt to solve a mystery of Justin Flom's. In the video below, he does a whole wave of tricks that are just mind blowing with pure awesomeness, but the one that stood out to me the most was when he did the Ghost Match trick. When I learned this trick, the way I was taught to vanish the match didn't seem as powerful as the way Justin did in this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yvnc5_3HGiY

As you can see, all he does is move his finger over the match, and it just vanishes, as if it dissolved into the palm of his hand. I have theories as to how this is done, but I really want some suggestions from you more experienced, and knowledgeable magicians out there. He must've used some device, but I can't quite place my finger (no pun intended) on what it was, exactly. All thoughts and ideas are welcome on this one! :)

Dec 18, 2007
Northampton, MA - USA
Correct me if I'm wrong, but are you trying to replicate this guys' routine without purchasing it? That's what it sounds like so if that's not the case, you may want to clarify things a bit better.

Do understand that there is no such thing as a perfect move but rather, what works best for the individual. In other words, try using your theories and seeing what the results are. But I'd recommend that you think very simple and not get overly complicated; most of the time the answer is right there in front of us.

Oct 14, 2013
You misunderstand me, Craig, as well as the concept of the idea I'm getting at here. The Ghost Match routine isn't Justin's original trick, and to basically say that I'm simply trying to steal a move without paying for it is far from the truth here. I'm willing to pay my due, but before I can, I need knowledge of what could've been done here.

I'm just asking a simple question for the more experienced magicians who have relatively accurate advice as to how to achieve this same effect without doing the classic fake pass, or other old-school vanishing techniques taught for this trick, such as what we see Justin did in the video I posted. I have limited knowledge of these, which is why I posted this topic. I just wanted some helpful suggestions, but still, thank you for your reply.

formula

Elite Member
Jan 8, 2010
Craig enjoys dancing around questions without answering them directly. The easiest way to recreate the vanish is with a pull, of which there are many. He doesn't do that vanish for the people he's actually performing for in that video though.

DABBLE

Elite Member
Jun 13, 2013
The answer to your question.....

Why don't you contact Justin? Wouldn't that be the easiest solution to your question? Facebook, his website, twitter blah blah blah :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Apr 17, 2013
You misunderstand me, Craig, as well as the concept of the idea I'm getting at here. The Ghost Match routine isn't Justin's original trick, and to basically say that I'm simply trying to steal a move without paying for it is far from the truth here. I'm willing to pay my due, but before I can, I need knowledge of what could've been done here.

I'm just asking a simple question for the more experienced magicians who have relatively accurate advice as to how to achieve this same effect without doing the classic fake pass, or other old-school vanishing techniques taught for this trick, such as what we see Justin did in the video I posted. I have limited knowledge of these, which is why I posted this topic. I just wanted some helpful suggestions, but still, thank you for your reply.

But you are asking for a method for a commercial effect. Pick up a copy of Tarbell and get a good solid base in the art of magic. YOu will find that many many many effects being sold today can be found in older cheap books. There is even an effect on the wire from Rick Lax that is literally printed on a cover of a book that is cheaper than the one download.

Oct 14, 2013
Craig enjoys dancing around questions without answering them directly. The easiest way to recreate the vanish is with a pull, of which there are many. He doesn't do that vanish for the people he's actually performing for in that video though.
That's exactly what I thought, but of the few that I know, I'm not exactly sure they would work well incognito in this scenario. I thought about TKO 2.0 by Jeff Kaylor, but I haven't bought that yet, so I'm not sure if it only works for coins, or just as well with any object around the same size as a coin.

If you could give me a list of the pulls that you know of that you think would work for what I'm going after, please don't hesitate to share! :cool:

P.S. In the video, do you think he merely edited the vanish to achieve that effect in the video, or just recorded the vanish when his crowd wasn't present?

Oct 14, 2013
Do you have any other suggestions of books that could increase my knowledge of magic as well as save me money? Thanks a lot for the info! :)

Oct 14, 2013
But you are asking for a method for a commercial effect. Pick up a copy of Tarbell and get a good solid base in the art of magic. YOu will find that many many many effects being sold today can be found in older cheap books. There is even an effect on the wire from Rick Lax that is literally printed on a cover of a book that is cheaper than the one download.
Do you have any other suggestions of books that could increase my knowledge of magic as well as save me money? Thanks a lot for the info! :)

Apr 17, 2013

I'm not sure if you are really asking or not but I'll give you my standard list of books...

The big Tarbell Book by Tarbell.
Royal Road to Card Magic, by Hugard & Braue.
Modern Coin Magic by Bobo.
Abbott's Encyclopedia of Rope Tricks by James.
Mark Wilson's Complete Course in Magic, just the sponge ball section alone is worth it.
Amateur Magician's Handbook by Hay
And finally, Magic and Showmanship by Nelms.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results