foundations of flourishing

May 17, 2013
annapolis maryland
if you were new to cardistry you wouldn't try for example "the jackson five". You start small then build your way up.

execpt for the mechanics grip, what would you say are some of the basic moves to learn when you are new to flourishing

AND what were some of the moves that you first learned

Aug 24, 2013
You would probably start with the chalier cut then the sybil,revolution and so on.......then after all the basics you would learn stuff off the wire and youtube.

yyyyyyy

Elite Member
Apr 7, 2012
No, you shouldn't learn the Charlier and then the Sybil. That's such a massive jump in difficulty. Take a look at the Encylopedia of Card Flourishes, Genesis V1, Xtreme Beginnerz 1 and 2. Jerry Cestkowski also has a really nice DVD on different kinds of fans. Learn the one handed cuts before anything else. The revolution cuts, scissor cuts, Charliers, they all pop up later on down the road in cardistry. Learn the basics of shape formation, the basic triangle for example. Maybe learn a few card twirls, the most common being the Flicker and Bullet. Learn the basic fans and spreads, thumb fans, reverse thumb fans, one handed fans. Learn the different GRIPS, mechanics grip, straddle grip, back fingers grip etc... They will help you with your creative process in the future when you want to create your own material. So start slow, start simple. Take your time, there's no shortcut.

May 17, 2013
annapolis maryland
You would probably start with the chalier cut then the sybil,revolution and so on.......then after all the basics you would learn stuff off the wire and youtube.

the wire and the magic tricks section are good places.
but i remember looking at jason englands bio at theory11 and he says to stay away from youtube.
Now you can certainly go to youtube if you want to learn flourishing because i wasn't exactly sure if jason was applying that statement to everything that has to do with cards.

yyyyyyy

Elite Member
Apr 7, 2012
I believe Jason was advising that you be more aware of who/where you're learning from, so that you aren't being fed misinformation. Bad habits are really irritating when it comes to any hobby, having to relearn a move wastes time and a good amount of people opt to not relearn the problem technique. They end up shooting themselves in the foot in the long run. So he's saying that you should try your best to find reliable sources so you learn the correct technique the first time. I don't think he was bashing YouTube as an educational system, I think he was saying something more along the lines of "Use with caution".

Sep 1, 2007
I don't think he was bashing YouTube as an educational system,

Maybe he wan't, but I will. Most YT tutorials are made by bitter wannabes trying to trade secrets for social status. There's a reason none of them are paid professionals or even anything that could be charitably described as a performer.

S.G

Feb 9, 2010
Maybe he wan't, but I will. Most YT tutorials are made by bitter wannabes trying to trade secrets for social status. There's a reason none of them are paid professionals or even anything that could be charitably described as a performer.

Here I will have to respectfully disagree. While I do see your point (which is reflected in a number of super crappy videos), at the same time, YouTube provides an adequate medium for teaching card flourishes. I think the mistake here is assuming that those people even want to become paid professionals/performers.

Whereas in magic, you should actually learn from someone who has tried and tested their materials in front of an audience, flourishing is a little different. In my eyes, YouTube merely provides an outlet for people to share their ideas. Do some of them do it just because they want subscribers and people lauding their skillz? Sure, but that exists everywhere.

So, to the OP, I'd say that YouTube is not a bad place to learn stuff, but I'd go ahead and source videos like that from "reputable" flourishers such as Virtuoso and Kardistry.com in order to get a solid foundation of what you need to do. After you improve a little, you'll probably have enough experience/judgment to decide what videos are good and what videos suck.

Just my opinion. Take it with a drop of mustard.

EDIT: I apologize, I didn't really answer the OP at all. That was just a response for Steerpike. As for the original question, I may answer later when I have a little more time.

Sep 1, 2007
Exceptions exist, but YouTube has no mechanism for quality control. If the publisher system, specifically designed to not publish crap, still manages to let garbage like iFloat through every now and again, imagine what a publisherless medium has to deal with.

S.G

Feb 9, 2010
Exceptions exist, but YouTube has no mechanism for quality control. If the publisher system, specifically designed to not publish crap, still manages to let garbage like iFloat through every now and again, imagine what a publisherless medium has to deal with.

Hmm, sure, there are plenty of bad things on YouTube, but that certainly does not mean that there are no good sources on YouTube. Like I said, one must exercise caution, but it's certainly not ALL negative/useless.

I think we should stop hijacking this thread (my fault entirely, I apologize).

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results